mileage: reliability and major repairs ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mileage: reliability and major repairs ?

geopark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Hello, my first post . . I am looking to help my daughter buy an Explorer for she and her four children. Understandably, she is concerned about break-downs and thinks a low mileage vehicle (<50Kmiles) will provide her that security These cars seem to be in the $25K range and she really cannot afford it.. I am thinking that a fourth generation Explorer ('06-'10?) with ~100k miles will still be a reliable car and meet her needs and these seem to be available for <$10K.

Obviously how a car was maintained and other factors are critical so my question boils down to this, is a fourth generation well maintained Explorer a reasonably reliable car. Also, are there any specific large expenditure repairs that are likely with this kind of mileage?

Thanks, geopark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you do a search on here you will get many answers. The v6 version has a few more problems the the v8. The v6 has can have transmission issues and also timing chain issues that require you to pull the motor. The earlier v8s have spark plug problems they tend to break when you try and remove them. Common problems with both versions are wheelbearings, rear abs tone rings breaking, and axle seals.

I have a 2010 v6 with 127k miles with the original tranny and motor. I did have to have the rear diff replaced due to a axle seal failure that i did not catch, the fluid drained out over time and the bearing exploded destroying the diff.

Hello, my first post . . I am looking to help my daughter buy an Explorer for she and her four children. Understandably, she is concerned about break-downs and thinks a low mileage vehicle (<50Kmiles) will provide her that security These cars seem to be in the $25K range and she really cannot afford it.. I am thinking that a fourth generation Explorer ('06-'10?) with ~100k miles will still be a reliable car and meet her needs and these seem to be available for <$10K.

Obviously how a car was maintained and other factors are critical so my question boils down to this, is a fourth generation well maintained Explorer a reasonably reliable car. Also, are there any specific large expenditure repairs that are likely with this kind of mileage?

Thanks, geopark
My 2010 Explorer V6 with 5R55S Tranny was just replaced with a reman. It only had approx. 130k on it

I have owned four different Explorers - a 94, 00, 04 and now a 08. All six cylinder, all XLT. I bought all with about 70 to 90k mileage and drove till about 150 to 180k. My 08 that I bought about 3 years ago now has 174k so will be looking at a newer one in the next year or so. All have been very reliable for me, very little problems other than normal stuff - batteries, brakes, radiator, front wheel bearings, tires. I do keep up with maintenance fairly well, especially oil changes.

My '06 EB edition V6, 4WD, bought 6/16 with 115K. Drove it off lot and chk eng light came on. Dx showed right cat converter bad............since I live in Athens Ga w/no emissions test, I've ignored the light and no engine problems have occurred. Since then, have replace lft frt wheel bearing, set of tires, trans and brake fluid, all struts, and brakes and now have 135k. Occasionally pull a 22' travel trailer and am pleased with performance. Given the amount of negative experience with radiators and transmissions, I consider myself lucky thus far in the purchase.

My 08 ED edition V6, AWD, installed a reman transmission 5R55S at 130 odo. Timing change skipped time at 125 and I installed a new remain 4.0. New radiator and additional components.
I change my oil every 3,000 miles with 5/30 Motorcraft SynBlend.

My 08 XLT v8 4x4 had 104k on it 2/15. Now it has 151k and still going. I've replaced a few parts like; front driver side wheel bearing, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, fuel pump, filter and fluid in the trans. Nothing major so far. I hope you get a good vehicle for your daughter.

I own a 2006 XLT 4x4 4.0 V-6. I originally bought it second hand in Dec. of 2010 from a dealer just outside of Seattle, Bill Pierre. At that time I think it had 40-60k on it. Since then as far as maintenance outside the normal oil change, air filter change, tires, and brakes, I had a pin hole leak on the radiator in late 2012 but it was covered under the extended warranty we bought. Also changed the thermostat at that time which was around $10 and 5 mins to change it. Recently I drove to Las Vegas during a heat wave, the average "high" temperature while i was there was 113. On my way back to "the strip" from Henderson my car overheated. All the right things came on, engine light and temperature gauge worked. Took it in to Meineke and they told me my thermostat housing cracked, which is common in the vehicle since it is made entirely of plastic. Had that replaced with thermostat and new fluid, it ran me about $500-$550. Would have done it myself but was on a trip and didn't have the logistics and needed to leave the next day. Long story short it now has 140K miles and those were the only repairs i had to make that aren't really routine upkeep. My trans sometimes acts up but its only when going up an incline it will stutter and shift hard and then sometimes i will put it in gear from a parked location and it wont move until i rev the engine then it will engage hard. I am scared to touch the tranny because i haven't had any other problems and don't want to make it worse than it already is.

Drove my 06 4.0 on a extended road trip end of last month.
About 1800 miles total, did not skip a beat, no problems at all.
Did buy a new set of Uniroyal Lorado tires before the trip.
They improved the ride and much less road noise.
Has 106,000 miles on it now and the aluminum thermostat housing.
Will have the tranny stutter occasionally on the highway.
Pushing the OD button usually calms down.

Purchased an '08 V8 for my daughter with the same thought in mind - larger, better visibility, safe, etc. 103,000 miles at purchase. Since then, it has had spark plugs (expected), exhaust manifold leak (they have to pull the motor for this when the studs snap), a couple of throttle body assemblies (long story), and the usual wear items like tires and brakes. Great truck when it runs, but I would describe it as "delicate." It just seems like there are so many dependencies and false alarm errors compared to my previous Explorers and Expeditions. One example is that the ABS errors lit up the dashboard one day. Dealer said "need a new ABS unit." I declined. Turned out the battery was in the process of dying. Nice.

I love my 2010 Limited V8; fast, pulls 7300#, nav, etc.... but, I've been a garage mechanic for 20+ years so very aware of sounds and catch things before they fail. Honestly, if I was buying a car for my daughter and kids that I didn't want to worry about, get her a Honda Pilot AWD. I know, this is an Explorer forum and love mine that tows snowmobiles, a camper and pontoon boat, but my wife has an 2011 Acura MDX for my piece of mind and 3 rows. Bought 1 year old and now w/ 94K miles with not a single problem, nothing, not even a bulb. Just my opinion.
If you go with the Explorer, do a 2009-10, they worked out some of the earlier issues by then, but be ready to replace both front wheel bearings regardless of year. BTW - I get 1-2 mpg better with my V8 than my 2006 V6 I had prior.

Back