• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

nchoma0002

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
I have 2016 and hate it, I am on my 3rd pair of roof rack overs in 6,000 miles. The covers keep popping off. I have black ones, when I see other 2016 models I always check them out too and more than 60% of the black ones are coming off, not sure if the owners are aware or not. I see way less silver ones coming undone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2016 and hate it, I am on my 3rd pair of roof rack overs in 6,000 miles. The covers keep popping off. I have black ones, when I see other 2016 models I always check them out too and more than 60% of the black ones are coming off, not sure if the owners are aware or not. I see way less silver ones coming undone.
Yes both front drivers side and passenger side of the cover pops off and very frequently during the winter.
Now that it's starting to warm up here in my region they've stayed down most of the time.

That's one of the disadvantages of having black as a colour. Much more heat absorption and therefore more likely to expand and contract.

Peter

This just happened to me tonight. The passenger side roof rail cover is gone. Now I need to go to Ford tomorrow and ask them to order another one. Can I order just one, or do they come as a matched set? Lastly do you recall what they cost to replace?

Thanks for any response back to me on this.

RonExSport

This just happened to me tonight. The passenger side roof rail cover is gone. Now I need to go to Ford tomorrow and ask them to order another one. Can I order just one, or do they come as a matched set? Lastly do you recall what they cost to replace?

Thanks for any response back to me on this.

RonExSport
Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:

Peter

I would go to the Ford Dealer and have them replace it under warranty, why pay for it? These 'roof ornaments' are more for decoration than utility, they come loose all by themselves, mine did. How can these support any load if they fall off without even being used?? Just my 2¢...

I would go to the Ford Dealer and have them replace it under warranty, why pay for it? These 'roof ornaments' are more for decoration than utility, they come loose all by themselves, mine did. How can these support any load if they fall off without even being used?? Just my 2¢...

Thanks much!

So I just lost one... any idea what the part number is for the cover on the drivers side?

Edit: never mind. I'll take it to the dealer and get it done under warranty.

...I found it at the car wash I used that day. Dealer already ordered a replacement, I guess I'll take it back off when they get it in so I can get the new one installed and keep one as a spare.... :/

...I found it at the car wash I used that day. Dealer already ordered a replacement, I guess I'll take it back off when they get it in so I can get the new one installed and keep one as a spare.... :/

Why should Ford pay to replace it if you found it? Sheesh, some people.

The clips on the old one are weak. It shouldn't have come off in the first place.

However. I told the dealer so they can keep the spare for if and when it happens again and I don't have to wait 3 days for it to come in.

Something I noticed about 2 weeks ago was that my driver side rear roof rail it was separating. I can press back down on it and it will snap back in but now it keeps popping out. I even heard it pop out when I was driving. I'm not sure what could have caused this or how I can fix it permanently. There is a spot on the roof side of the rail right about the screw hole for the rear most mounting spot of the rails that is not flush together. I had only installed factory cross bars and there's never been any impact or anything I'm aware of that would have caused this. Is this a unique issue to me?

019.jpeg
File%20Aug%2012%2C%209%2025%2014%20AM.jpeg

Here's the inside where you can see it's not flush. I've tried taking out the screw and seeing if that was doing anything but it's not related.
020.jpg
Photo%20Aug%2012%2C%209%2033%2024%20AM.jpg

For reference, here's the passenger side where there is no issue at all.
021.jpg
Photo%20Aug%2012%2C%209%2033%2032%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2012%2C%209%2033%2042%20AM.jpg

I'd say it is unique to you as no one else has reported this issue. Have the dealer take a look at it before you try to do anything to it yourself.

Peter

This happened to mine on the passenger side and slowly got worse. The dealer replaced both the upper and lower pieces (under warranty) and to do this the headliner needs to be lowered, a semi big job.

You have a 2017, so it's still under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

Same thing is happening to mine as well. Will need to do the same and take it to the dealership.

I'm going in for my first oil change next week. Will have the service guys take a look at it. If they do have to replace it like then I'll make an appointment.

So I had an appointment on 9/26 to have them look at it. They replaced the entire roof rail on the driver side, the bottom part that is attached to the roof and the plastic cap that goes over it. I was walking out to my Explorer and looked at it and the same issue was there, I was like WTF!?!? I spoke with the service manager and told him, he had is guys look at it again. They're not sure what the deal is now. I'm now waiting for them to speak with Ford and get another new part and then schedule up another appointment with me to fix it, it's been over a week as of today, I will probably call tomorrow and see what's up. More to come as this develops.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thing to check before you take the car home is the headliner, it has to be dropped to access the rail fasteners.
I checked all the headliner lights, looked for dirty fingerprints and the usual stuff but I forgot to look at the dashboard. Why? When I got home I noticed the bezel around the Nav display was cracked, probably from a Tech bracing themselves while dealing with the headliner. I took the car back the next day and had a heck of a time getting the Service Manager to believe me, then another 2 months for them to find the right part and install it.
Check your car thoroughly before you take it home.

My next visit for service and warranty work was another circus act, but that is another story. This one ended with the Tech quitting.

Back