Traffic Report via Sirius

bnewt

Reaction score
City, State
Shepherdsville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LIMITED
how does everyone's traffic reports work with Sirius. mine is just hit & miss

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how does everyone's traffic reports work with Sirius. mine is just hit & miss

It works fine for me, my only complaint is how often its updated. I'm on a highway that's stopped dead due to volume or incident and my Sirius Traffic shows all green traffic flow.

I tried to find out how often the system is updated or where it draws the traffic status info from but I never did find out.

Last time I was driving out of town on the busy May long weekend I calculated that it was roughly 10-15 minutes behind. But then again, I've never found any traffic info from Google maps or Apple maps to be any more accurate either.

I found it utterly useless and the data was woefully out of date -- either accidents were long cleaned up or new accidents that haven't been reported yet. Google maps or Apple maps are way more updated/accurate.

Sirius was very disappointing for me, having never experienced it before... but I discovered several stations indeed had commercials and tended to repeat songs too often. Plus it had terrible reception, low bit rate (Vancouver BC), so I stopped using it after a month and let the free trial expire.

From my experience, Googlemaps is actually very accurate. It knows exactly where the traffic is on the road and will divert you around it if there's a quicker way. iPhone's "Maps" navigation works almost as well.

If this Sirius Navigation system has a lag or doesn't get up to date, I won't bother using it.

So when I bought the car, I was told and read that it comes with 5 years traffic. However, I stopped receiving traffic information when my SiriusXM trial ended 6 months after buying the truck. Am I supposed to get 6 months or 5 years?

I am in Canada by the way

So when I bought the car, I was told and read that it comes with 5 years traffic. However, I stopped receiving traffic information when my SiriusXM trial ended 6 months after buying the truck. Am I supposed to get 6 months or 5 years?

I don't know where you read that info about 5 years. The Manual doesn't seem to specify that. It just mentions the subscription starting with the "In Service Date" and then it talks about an extension for which there is a charge. I'm guessing it is referring to the 6 month deal. All I currently have is Sirius/XM on an extended pay basis.. I have had my vehicle 9 months and don't have the traffic etc. I also didn't have it with my 2011 Limited nor 2014 MKT.

Peter

In the states it's 5 years for Traffic, not sure about Canada.

I don't know where you read that info about 5 years. The Manual doesn't seem to specify that. It just mentions the subscription starting with the "In Service Date" and then it talks about an extension for which there is a charge. I'm guessing it is referring to the 6 month deal. All I currently have is Sirius/XM on an extended pay basis.. I have had my vehicle 9 months and don't have the traffic etc. I also didn't have it with my 2011 Limited nor 2014 MKT.

Peter

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2017&postalCode=09494

Look at page 15 in the middle.

Voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability, and integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link® with 5-year subscription

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2017&postalCode=09494

Look at page 15 in the middle.

Voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability, and integrated SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link® with 5-year subscription
Now go to Ford.ca and download the same brochure and you'll see that it does not mention the 5 year subscription. You are looking at the one for U.S. customers.
Use Ford.ca and not Ford.com when checking things out.

Peter

I find Sirius traffic to be pretty poor. I use Waze for traffic and re-routing. It and google seem pretty accurate. I still have sirius traffic after 8 months. My regular sirius is gone.

I'm pretty sure it's only 6 months.

Not thrilled with the Sirius traffic feature on our 2017 Explorer. While we were sitting in btb traffic Sirius showed it was all clear. Waze and Google showed it was a total cluster f^ck and gave options or estimates as how bad it was. Though Sirius does provide nice music, their traffic reporting leaves a lot to be desired.

Whimsey

We spent a week in Atlanta going to and from baseball tournaments. We would probably still be lost up there without it, that freeway and traffic system stinks . Now I did cheat and run Waze off my phone to see if alternate routes showed. I'd say 80 to 90% it was the same. My wife preferred it over Waze because of the bigger picture with clearly marked paths. It did lack on accident reports though, but I could probably live running Sirius only.

I thought the 1st few times that I used it, something came up on the screen advising of an accident, but it doesn't do that any more.......only the red & green lanes

Back