Just bought 2015 sport, loss of power | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought 2015 sport, loss of power

Brian
Sorry you are experiencing this problem.
I am sure a datalogger is your best solution
If this dealer does not take you seriously I would call Ford directly
Maybe not a bad idea to call them before you go to the dealer if time permits
The phone number is listed in your packet that includes the owner's manual & a warranty pamphlet
Here is what I found online
Maybe this will help:(
Phone
Ford United States
+1-800-392-3673

+1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well for anyone who has been following my issues for the past two months and this thread which I think was merged, I truly have given up. To recap my ex has been to the 2 different dealerships a total of 4 times for VERY intermittent, complete loss of power that occurs for only seconds and then regains some power, but acts sluggish afterwards and then will soon spontaneous resolves itself, to only occur again, which could be weeks later. Never thrown a code or CE light.

I have checked all the hoses etc, new air filter, 93 shell gas, done everything I can that everyone has suggested. Earlier in this thread several suggested a data logger, which sounded promising. I then decided to try a third dealership. I chose one that is 45 minutes away and has the highest customer service ratings and comes highly recommended from a couple people I asked.

I just took my vehicle to this dealership for them to look at. I first asked about a data logger and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. They said they have no such thing could give me. So I left my ex with them, this being the 5th dealership attempt to fix this power issue. Of course they called the next day and said no codes, no lights, cant duplicate, the same vicious cycle. They did say however, they tested my battery and it was down to 200 CCA and needed replaced. They also thought that might be causing some of the issues I have been having. They put in a new battery

I also reminded the dealer that the other issue that coincides with the loss of power and often continues after power is regained, is a loud humming noise near the floorboard with the center console is. So the dealer said they are going to keep it one more day and see how it drives with the battery and listen for that noise. They call the next day, and say there is no noise, and its driving great.'

I pick my car up and as I'm pulling out of the dealership, it is already sluggish and the humming noise is was even more noticable. So I turn around and demanded to have the mechanic drive with me. Shockingly it was a female mechanic, just never seen that before. She gets in and I induce the noice by driving pretty much full throttle and she notices it right away.

After doing this for a while she finally decides its not in the cabin area and wants the vehicle back another day to check heat shields, etc under the car, which I have already done myself and never found anything. I told her the car also is not driving with the "punch" the 3.5 ecoboost should have and she didn't seem to have any comment. And I think the sound seems "mechanical" in nature.

So i'm getting nowhere fast with this car still being a safety issue and an absolute nightmare at times, but will drive like a dream for weeks straight before it has another incident. I dont know whether to focus on the air/fuel/ turbos, or the transmission because of the sound. They did say they may have one of their mechanics who focuses on transmissions look at it. I just dont know how a transmission could be so intermitent and then drive fine for weeks.

Has anyone EVER heard of a known issue with ex sports losing power, and no code or CE light ever? Any last suggestions. I'm so determined to solve this, it would crush me to have to take a loss and sell this. The amount of dealerships I have been to is absurd. I feel like I have the only ex in the country that wont throw a code. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than having the car severely act up, when at the dealership, as the extreme loss of power only occurs every several weeks and for a matter of 5 seconds of less.

Well for anyone who has been following my issues for the past two months and this thread which I think was merged, I truly have given up. To recap my ex has been to the 2 different dealerships a total of 4 times for VERY intermittent, complete loss of power that occurs for only seconds and then regains some power, but acts sluggish afterwards and then will soon spontaneous resolves itself, to only occur again, which could be weeks later. Never thrown a code or CE light.

I have checked all the hoses etc, new air filter, 93 shell gas, done everything I can that everyone has suggested. Earlier in this thread several suggested a data logger, which sounded promising. I then decided to try a third dealership. I chose one that is 45 minutes away and has the highest customer service ratings and comes highly recommended from a couple people I asked.

I just took my vehicle to this dealership for them to look at. I first asked about a data logger and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. They said they have no such thing could give me. So I left my ex with them, this being the 5th dealership attempt to fix this power issue. Of course they called the next day and said no codes, no lights, cant duplicate, the same vicious cycle. They did say however, they tested my battery and it was down to 200 CCA and needed replaced. They also thought that might be causing some of the issues I have been having. They put in a new battery

I also reminded the dealer that the other issue that coincides with the loss of power and often continues after power is regained, is a loud humming noise near the floorboard with the center console is. So the dealer said they are going to keep it one more day and see how it drives with the battery and listen for that noise. They call the next day, and say there is no noise, and its driving great.'

I pick my car up and as I'm pulling out of the dealership, it is already sluggish and the humming noise is was even more noticable. So I turn around and demanded to have the mechanic drive with me. Shockingly it was a female mechanic, just never seen that before. She gets in and I induce the noice by driving pretty much full throttle and she notices it right away.

After doing this for a while she finally decides its not in the cabin area and wants the vehicle back another day to check heat shields, etc under the car, which I have already done myself and never found anything. I told her the car also is not driving with the "punch" the 3.5 ecoboost should have and she didn't seem to have any comment. And I think the sound seems "mechanical" in nature.

So i'm getting nowhere fast with this car still being a safety issue and an absolute nightmare at times, but will drive like a dream for weeks straight before it has another incident. I dont know whether to focus on the air/fuel/ turbos, or the transmission because of the sound. They did say they may have one of their mechanics who focuses on transmissions look at it. I just dont know how a transmission could be so intermitent and then drive fine for weeks.

Has anyone EVER heard of a known issue with ex sports losing power, and no code or CE light ever? Any last suggestions. I'm so determined to solve this, it would crush me to have to take a loss and sell this. The amount of dealerships I have been to is absurd. I feel like I have the only ex in the country that wont throw a code. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than having the car severely act up, when at the dealership, as the extreme loss of power only occurs every several weeks and for a matter of 5 seconds of less.

Drive by Ford Headquarters and show them how the truck drives. Show them to how many Ford service centers have you gone to. Maybe they will feel ashamed and give you a replacement truck.

Has anyone EVER heard of a known issue with ex sports losing power, and no code or CE light ever? I feel like I have the only ex in the country that wont throw a code.
My Platinum 'falls on it's face' and never throws a code. If I let up on the pedal then floor it again and it will resume accelerating, no sluggish or other effects after this happens. Doing this while passing an 18-wheeler truck on a 2-lane road is exciting...
I have a Thread about it here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...elerating-after-2nd-gear.464246/#post-3644061
I am so tired of going to the Dealer about this and others items that I've changed the way I drive the car. Can't sell it so I putt-putt around.

My Platinum 'falls on it's face' and never throws a code. If I let up on the pedal then floor it again and it will resume accelerating, no sluggish or other effects after this happens. Doing this while passing an 18-wheeler truck on a 2-lane road is exciting...
I have a Thread about it here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...elerating-after-2nd-gear.464246/#post-3644061
I am so tired of going to the Dealer about this and others items that I've changed the way I drive the car. Can't sell it so I putt-putt around.

explat, if possible could you give me a few more details? Are you full throttle? does it seem like it just doesn't want to downshift?

You just gave me an idea
since you mention a "BUZZING" sound when you have the power loss I am wondering if it may be a damaged catalyst substrate or muffler baffle. either of these issues would severly restrict the exhaust system causing your power loss.
I have seen this happen before
Hoping this will help
Good luck:dunno:

explat, if possible could you give me a few more details? Are you full throttle? does it seem like it just doesn't want to downshift?
I have the details in my thread that I linked to above but yes, give it full throttle and it dies, no down shift (or up shift), if I hold the pedal down, it coasts. Then, let up the pedal and push down again and it will act normally. Doesn't matter if it's up-shifts or down-shifts, at WOT it is a gamble if it will 'fall on it's face' of not. It's intermittent - or the Dealer would have seen it. I've used a lot of gas driving service advisors and service managers around to no avail.
I thought humidity at first but driving in the desert in 100˚ weather on a trip and it still did it.

As a side note, this car had the fuel injectors, fuel rails and fuel pump replaced by warranty at less than 11,000 miles.

I have not been to a Dealer lately but when I do I'll mention the Data Logger idea and see what kind of a look the service manager gives me.

Does the noise change with the speed of the vehicle? Does it feel like the brakes are being applied or just no no power? The reason I ask is, we’ve had a few Interceptor Utilities trash their PTU’s. One in particular was intermittent for awhile before it totally quit moving. The worst screeching/grinding noise you can imagine, and it was like the brakes were fully applied. Wasn’t 2015 the year some PTU,s were shipped low on fluid?
In reality though, I have no idea why humidity would cause it to flare up. Just thinking.

BIG NEWS!

Got a call from the dealership today, their tech was driving my ex sport and it lost almost complete power is how they said it. After over 2 months and 5 times at multiple dealerships, they were finally able to "DUPLICATE" the problem They said it still did not throw a code, but they believe they have the issue narrowed down to one of the turbos and they said they are trying to figure out which one is causing the problem.

Whats weird is if they are right, that would mean this turbo would intermittently fail and the operate just fine for weeks at a time and then the cycle would repeat. One of the first dealerships even drove the car after one of the first power failures (car was driving fine when I got it to the dealership) and they drove it with their diagnostics hooked up and said the boost from the turbos was perfect. So by my count this alleged "faulty" turbo has failed 5 times for me and now a 6th for the mechanic, but the turbo is able to eventually go back to operating just fine, I don't get it. I just hope they are correct on it being a turbo and its not a throttle body or something else.

They also think the noise I'm hearing is probably from the turbo, but it not a loud whine, that you would expect a turbo to make if it was going bad. I think somebody on here did say the noise and issue could be a sticking wastegate, that would seem to make more sense to me.

My other concern is that if only one turbo failed, I would think you would lose almost ALL power for a few seconds. But I'm far from any expert on this. I am just so happy it failed for the mechanic, this could have gone undiagnosed for who knows how long. I'll let everyone know what happens. Hopefully I can now keep this car and be a happy owner.

Thanks for everyone's time and input!

You just won the 'Can't duplicate' Lotto! Awesome, I'm jealous... ;)

You just won the 'Can't duplicate' Lotto! Awesome, I'm jealous... ;)

LOL.

I was reading your previous threads on your platinum and your issue sounds similar to me, but I never had the problem on the highway for some reason. Mostly occurred when accelerating from a stop. Being my first turbo charged vehicle, I did have to get a little use to "feathering" the pedal a little before going full throttle and that seemed to build a little boost and the car would accelerate a little better at times, but it sounds your issue is more significant like mine was unfortunately.

I'm still mad that these cars can have losses of power and not throw codes since the dealers act like the cars are 100% accurate and never act up without throwing a code. And I feel like they need to at least dig a little deeper when its a safety issue.

I'm not celebrating yet, as I wouldn't be surprised if they're guessing and end up fixing the wrong part on my ex and it still acts up. :banghead: None of the techs at these dealerships have won my confidence.

Over these two months here is a list of everything I can recall that has been mentioned on here or from friends, neighbors, mechanics etc. I know this probably won't help u much but may give u something to mention to the dealer or an idea that may stick out.

Bad fuel
bad throttle body
split vacuum hose at the throttle body (somebody on here had that one)
bad PCM
improper gap in spark plugs
malfunctioning turbo
problem with wastegates on the turbos
Hose clamps loose on the intercooler or turbos
Bad or dirty MAP or MAF sensor (never could confirm which one the 3.5 ecoboost has)
Water, blow by or whatever it is that gets past the turbos and into the engine
condensation in the intercooler, kind of related to the above one, but heard this has only been seen on the f150s
malfunctioning throttle position sensor
damaged power take off unit or low fluid in the PTU
bad torque converter

I know there is plenty more and feel free for anyone to add or correct me on any of these.

Hope you get some better luck explat.

@Brian41..
Thanks for the ideas and helpful comments, I'll save that list as a memory jogger. I really hope your Dealer can pull the rabbit out of the hat and find the correct issue with your car so you can rely on it and not be constantly on guard for an untimely FoF event to ruin the day.
Me, I'm catching my breath and saving up for more stale donuts in the Dealer Lounge.
Best of luck,
Dave

If it is truly a boost issue, that sounds like a blow off valve or wastegate failing.
I’ve never heard of a turbo intermittently failing, but I could see a BOV or wastegate doing that.

I thought I read that the wastegate is not a separate component, so the turbo must be replaced in order to correct/replace the wastegate. Maybe that’s why they are saying the turbo is failing.

We have a 2017 2.3 EB 4WD and this summer on a long trip to Fl the same power/throttle "dead zone" occurred twice. Both times when attempting WOT. Once from a dead stop and the other time was passing on the interstate. And this was with maybe 6,000 miles on a new vehicle. Those were the only two times WOT was attempted. Neither of us are "pedal mashers" so it really doesn't bother us. Other than that the Explorer runs fantastic, tons of power and decent mpg. I'm thinking that it could be a computer glitch when suddenly engaging WOT.

Whimsey

I recently got my 2015 PIU 3.5 Ecoboost back from the dealership. The rear turbo waste gate was stuck open, thus I never had full boost. Mine never lost power though, it just never had full power.

both waste gates run off a tee from a solenoid at the top of the manifold on the drivers side, applying pressure should actuate the waste gates to DUMP boost. Yes do NOT apply unregulated pressure over 20psi directly to this hose (unless you want to do damage) if you think you have this issue while watching the actuators move with the engine off, if anyone feels like playing around with their engine out of warranty. I guess theyre saying the rod might be stuck dumping boost sometimes.

Don't know what failsafe these engines have but on older turbo engines removing or having this line damaged will over boost and you will have the inside parts of the engine lying on the road when driving.

Its the thingamajig on the bottom left in this picture with the rod at the end of the cylinder X 2

ompanys-ecoboost-v-6-engine-3-5-liters_100181946_l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have dealer perform boost leak? Glad to read they are going to fix an issue. Try use premium gas in future, low oct isnt good for turbocharger vehicles.

Back