Which OEM tires come on Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which OEM tires come on Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya last winter was a 1 in 10 year for sure we had 3 to 4 feet of snow out in the fraser valley...(east of Vancouver)
But back to the topic at hand...
I had 127,000km on my original hankook tires and other than being old and hard they were not that bad. I got winters for our Ex when I purchased it and didn't have to try them in the snow. I just purchased Toyo Proxy ST II's for it yesterday and so far they are great.
I would say run what you get. when they wear out replace them.

Cheers Randy...

New to forum and SUV's. Got a 17Ex XLT with appearance and Tech package. So got them to switch out the 20" tires to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 255/50R20 109R extra load. Hope that was a good choice for winter approx 8 months of the year.

New to forum and SUV's. Got a 17Ex XLT with appearance and Tech package. So got them to switch out the 20" tires to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV 255/50R20 109R extra load. Hope that was a good choice for winter approx 8 months of the year.
Sounds good to me, any tire that has the war cry of "Hakka Paale!" ought to be a great tire. ;)
FTA:
Back in the 17th century, during the Thirty Years War in Central Europe, the tiny nation of Finland fielded a group of light cavalry called the Hakkapeliitta. Fighting for the King of Sweden, they were justly feared for their spectacular horsemanship, their utter ferocity and the blood-chilling battle cry; “Hakka Paale!” (“Hack them all down!”) from which they took their name.

I had Latitudes on my XLT which lasted around 77k miles, but they are so expensive and I settled for Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus from Costco for $693 dollars. The installation was only 1 cent each tire (sale).

A local tire shop has advertised 4 of the Hancook "take=offs" including mounting and balance on a local buy/sell website, for $500 because they don't want to keep them around taking up space. The Michelin Defender LTX tires I'd like to have on the new Explorer are $1336 for 4 from Costco.
I'm really surprised that Ford would put questionable tires on any of their vehicles after the Firestone fiasco of years ago! Obviously they get the tires much cheaper because of their buying power, but the fact that they do put Michelins on some vehicles, (my wife's MKC) and Whimseys XLT Explorer says that Fords price must be similar for either tire.
A previous poster on this thread saying that three of his tires were out of round and needed replacing is a sad statement, IMO. And I would bet that is not an isolated case.

It isn't. Just took delivery of a brand new 2017 Limited (great deal on a previous year model) and had to take it in for vibrations at 400 miles. Dealer lowered the tire pressures and returned the car, telling me it had found nothing. I had to take it back the following week and take the service manager for a 30-minute spin on a smooth highway before he admitted to the vibrations. Then, they made me do hoops: turns out tires are not covered by the cars' warranty (at least not in Panama, a fine print I "should've read when I took delivery".. hey who does?), so they attempted to make me deal directly with the local Hankook dealer. I refused to take the car back and letting them off the hook. After a standoff, they agreed to deal directly with Hankook. It's already been six days and I still don't have my car back. The dealer, instead of solving my problem, swapping tires for others in their showroom and obtaining redress from Hankook for the defective tires, "followed procedure" and deferred everything to Hankook, who also had to "follow their procedures". These involved involved their own inspection of the car, and obtaining approvals from Hankook offices God-knows-where.

I agree with you that it's senseless of Ford to have installed cheap tires after its experience with Firestone in the late 90s. Their own bulletin #5584 warns dealers of defects in Hankook OEM tires instllled on 2015-2018 Explorers. It's more senseless of Ford and its dealers to deliver cars knowing that these tires are defective.

As it turns out, the Hankook dealer admitted that 3 or my 4 tires are out of round and will replace all four today with new-model RA33s. While this has been a positive outcome, the damage is done. This was my first Ford and actually my first American car. Leaving a brand-new customer with a brand-new car six days refusing to deal with $500 worth of defective tires in in US$51,000 car is ridiculous and short-sighted. I wonder what it'll be like when time comes to deal with a more expensive warranty item. Shame on you, Ford.

Welcome to the Forum Eduardo.:wave:
Here is, in part, what your Warranty Guide states;
Two separate warranties apply to tires on your new vehicle. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment basis for parts.
You can read the rest in your Warranty Guide.
As for the statement, " It's more senseless of Ford and its dealers to deliver cars knowing that these tires are defective.", I don't believe that is correct. Considering all the Explorers with Hankook tires 'out there', it would appear that only some have had issues. When I was on a Toyota forum, there were also many complaints about the Toyo tires that came with the vehicle. Tire complaints are nothing new. Except for a balance issue with the ones on my Platinum that dealer corrected, I have not had any issues with the Hankooks that came on my 3 vehicles.

Peter

Two separate warranties apply to tires on your new vehicle. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment basis for parts.
As for the statement, " It's more senseless of Ford and its dealers to deliver cars knowing that these tires are defective.", I don't believe that is correct. Considering all the Explorers with Hankook tires 'out there', it would appear that only some have had issues. When I was on a Toyota forum, there were also many complaints about the Toyo tires that came with the vehicle. Tire complaints are nothing new. Except for a balance issue with the ones on my Platinum that dealer corrected, I have not had any issues with the Hankooks that came on my 3 vehicles.

Peter

Peter
Thank you for chiming in Peter. That may be the case in the U.S. but perhaps not in Panama. After reading your response this morning, I went back and re-read the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and, even though it says it covers "factory supplied material", its last clause specifically excludes tires ("from THIS warranty", referring to the same warranty/document) and directs the owner to the tire manufacturer for claims under its own warranty. The document is in Spanish with both the dealer and the Ford logo. I don't know (but I'd be interested to know) if Ford knowingly took tires out of the NVLW, or is aware of the situation. Sometimes we in small countries get shafted.

As for your comment about my statement of Ford knowing about the defective tires, I respectfully disagree. While it is true that NOT ALL Hankook OEM tires may be defective, it seems they're ubiquitous enough to have prompted Ford to send a formal notice to its dealers warning about them in 2015-2018 Ex's, and advising not to spend time and money attempting to balance them. There are quite a few complaints from owners on this and other internet forums about out-of-round tires in new Explorers and, in my particular case, 3 of my 4 tires were defective. If we're in 2018 and Ford knows about this since 2015, it seems to be the responsible thing would have been to stop using these tires in MY2016 or 2017, and/or requiring dealers to check the ones in their cars before delivering them to unsuspecting owners. Especially after the Firestone fiasco.

Thank you for chiming in Peter. That may be the case in the U.S. but perhaps not in Panama. After reading your response this morning, I went back and re-read the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and, even though it says it covers "factory supplied material", its last clause specifically excludes tires ("from THIS warranty", referring to the same warranty/document) and directs the owner to the tire manufacturer for claims under its own warranty. The document is in Spanish with both the dealer and the Ford logo. I don't know (but I'd be interested to know) if Ford knowingly took tires out of the NVLW, or is aware of the situation. Sometimes we in small countries get shafted.
The Warranty Guide I referred to is called 2017 Model Year Ford Warranty Guide and was one of the brochures included with the vehicle. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_03_2018.pdf
This is the Tire Warranty Brochure; http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...re-Warranty-version-1_tirtw_EN-US_02_2016.pdf
Not sure if "Export" vehicles have the same coverage.

Peter

Back