2012 Explorer XLT adding 7-pin without factory tow package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer XLT adding 7-pin without factory tow package

I recently purchased a 2012 Explorer XLT that did not have the factory tow package.
The dealer installed the factory hitch receiver with 4-pin flat. There is an empty space in the hitch frame where the 7-pin should go. I need to add this and a brake controller. I've read that the wiring may already be in place to add the 7-pin and controller without running new wires, drilling holes, ect...
Dependent on what options the Explorer came with?
If it helps, it's an XLT 3.5L AWD with equipment group 205A
SYNC with Myford Touch
BLIS Plus, intelligent 4wd with TMS, Selectshift , rear camera , and rear parking sensors.
Looking for any guidance on this before I go ahead with a universal kit for the 7-pin and brake controller.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2016 XLT was already pre-wired
I you have the controller connector under the dash, you are almost sure to have it.
The electrical connector to the rear bumper/hitch harness is on the passenger side on the inner 1/4 panel
You should have told the dealer to install the 7 pins harness ( that also include the 4 pins)

The rear harness connects between two large connectors on the rear passenger side. I found a part number for a 2012 Explorer with tow package and rear sensors without ID. (Whatever that is)
Part #
db5z15k868g
Can anyone verify this harness contains the connection for a 7-pin?
I checked and all the fueses and relays for the tow package are installed. The connector for the brake controller is right next to the parking brake. Also, I located the connector for the "tow" button behind the light switch. It seems all the wiring is in place, with the exception of the 7-pin harness. I found part numbers for the tow button and plastic trim piece along with the pigtail that goes from the brake controller to the factory connection under the dash. I think I just need to confirm the connector for the 7-pin is included in the above part number. Having a hard time finding an actual picture of it!

The rear harness connects between two large connectors on the rear passenger side. I found a part number for a 2012 Explorer with tow package and rear sensors without ID. (Whatever that is)
Part #
db5z15k868g
Can anyone verify this harness contains the connection for a 7-pin?
I checked and all the fueses and relays for the tow package are installed. The connector for the brake controller is right next to the parking brake. Also, I located the connector for the "tow" button behind the light switch. It seems all the wiring is in place, with the exception of the 7-pin harness. I found part numbers for the tow button and plastic trim piece along with the pigtail that goes from the brake controller to the factory connection under the dash. I think I just need to confirm the connector for the 7-pin is included in the above part number. Having a hard time finding an actual picture of it!
The price seems right for the 7 pins harness. The 4 pins is always much cheaper

to replace the 4 pins harness with the 7/4 pins. you are going to have to remove the rear bumper cover

I was afraid of that. Perhaps if I can find a wiring diagram I can tie in with a universal 7-pin. The 4 way is already in place, so all I really need is the 12v aux and brake wire. Assuming they are already in that big connector waiting for me.
Anybody have a pin out of that connector ?

I found the "tow" switch and bezel on ebay.. I'm thinking it will be plug and play and that the trans is already programed. Also ordered the short harness from the plug under the dash to my break controller. I found a wiring diagram for a Ford 7 way, looks similar to what I have so hopefully the color code is the same. I'll crawl under the Explorer this evening and see if I can locate the brake and battery charger wires. (again, assuming that they are there) if so, I'll just use a 7-way with flying leads and splice into what I need. Not "factory" but saves some cash and taking the bumper off.

I had a chance to crawl under the explorer and can confirm that the brake and battery charger wires are there. The brake wire is a 12ga blue wire and the switched power wire is a 12ga orange wire right next to the blue brake wire. Only thing left to verify is if the programming exists for tow mode once the tow switch comes in.

I had a chance to crawl under the explorer and can confirm that the brake and battery charger wires are there. The brake wire is a 12ga blue wire and the switched power wire is a 12ga orange wire right next to the blue brake wire. Only thing left to verify is if the programming exists for tow mode once the tow switch comes in.
yes, everything is already there and the switch will work

Hi! I want to add a 7pin box under the back. What ever became of this? Would you mind sharing where you found those 12 gauge wires? I’m looking to tie into the brake and battery charge. I already have the lighting covered.

Thanks !

The connection is in the area near the rear passenger side wheel.

Back