• Register Today It's free!

Tire recommendations

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
Looking for tire recommendations. I have a 99 Ex 4 door 2wd. Looking for good wet/ dry traction, highway & around town, no snow.
Would like to know what people have ran and been happy with.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd recommend looking at Michelin Defender LTX M/S and Firestone Destination LE2.

I first got Michelin LTX M/S to replace some dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. Improved my ride a lot. Great is all weather conditions. I only got rid of them due to age and slight cracking from everyday driving. Still had tons of tread left. The Firestone Destination LE2 replaced those. I tried those since I got four for the price of three Michelins, and the rating on Tirerack were similar, if not better, than the Michelins at the time. Ride was as comfortable as the Michelins. Great in all weather conditions.

Note, the Michelins I had were a previous model of the Defender LTX M/S. I would think the newest version would be as good, if not better.

I've run the Mich's before and you certainly can not go wrong with a set. I've also run the Goodyear Wrangler Radials and if you are on the budget they are a great all round tire for about $90 each.

Michelins here too...I put the first set of them on the truck in 2004 or 2005. Replaced them in 2014 because Costco wouldn't do the free tire rotation/balance thing anymore. Still had tons of tread on them, but I guess they were too old and in danger of dry rotting.

Anyway, IIRC, Costco has a deal right now for $70 off a set of 4 Michelin tires.

I saw that Michelin rebate on Tire Rack also. I'm going to check some local tire shops, but I'm pretty sure those are the ones I'm going with. Thanks.

I have Bridgestones. They are an 80k tire. I have about 70k on them now and still plenty of tread and showing even wear. I usually buy whatever is on sale at Costco. Love their lifetime rotations and balance.

For years I've run BFG, but recently bought a set of Michelin ATX.
The ATX runs quieter, smoother, better traction than the BFGs.

I just ordered some Falken wildpeak at3w from tirebuyer.com I hope they turn out good. I've read a lot of great reviews on them. I have the 16" tires. I got them for $469 with free delivery to the tire shop. They look like a great tire.
WildpeakAT3W_1000.jpg

Looks like a pretty aggressive tire with high shoulders. Wonder how quiet it will be.

Decide how important aggressive looks are to you. You're getting AT (all terrain) models mentioned but you didn't mention needing off road capabilities.

You'll have better ride quality and wet traction with a highway/touring tire, and they (often) cost less and have longer tread wear, and are quieter.

Just about every brand has came out with new SUV touring tires in the past few years, tires few of us have any experience with because we tend to get AT or even MT tires. I mean if I had only RWD and no snow, I'd go that direction.

It really depends what your anticipated vehicle usage will be. Street driving? Off-road?

I do 100% street driving and the things I want in a tire for my '01 EB and '00 Mountaineer are:
- Comfortable ride
- Long thread life
- Attractive raised white lettering on the sidewall

For me the Michelin LTX M&S has been my tire of choice. IDK if this model is still available (they're not an inexpensive tire) and I heard they were being discontinued, but I'm sure Michelin has replaced them with something similar. Would definitely buy them again.

For my '01 Sport Trac my tire needs were different. I wanted something inexpensive, long wearing and rugged looking. I chose a set of Fuzion light truck tires. The ride is pretty stiff, they're a bit noisy at 35-45 MPH and the although they have raised white lettering it's kind of ugly, so I mounted them with the lettering on the back side. Would buy them again.

If you just want an expensive tire for street use that rides, handles and wears quite well, I've had good luck with StarFire's (make buy Copper Tire) for around $85 a piece.

I had the falken wildpeaks installed today. I can say they are no louder than the general grabbers that were on there before. so far they seem to be a smoother ride and "feel" like a well built tire. The tread reminds me of the goodyear wrangler radials I had on my Ranger. Those were good tires. With my son and daughter driving this most of the time I want something that is going to tear up the snow.

sFCJev6pXy_0HKxl_gw8EJNidHiga95Jw65P-lr-6eqFNaQ9BWDJU71yNDIuZLmkorsUjmzdloeGvXrJIbwfBxYsiEo1rao5MJy9eQOlaLyFpmDa3wgXWzh2MEuQkINIyOKxgOZiXJxmOfmB_kdiqAWtlWha3u9Oefq7TUYoeb9DuEPF_JUOewMoS4H_sQCRiJrc9yVVbXOOsuTmSM2oVbBaw7kb8ugu6kBDFt-DBfpTiW0Q-d7Jj8M0pVc-UBudWIUyXlaCHvAFY2gZU_u94xJMZh5FjMre4t9hrViWFSAv1z8jo8ccHQlkUOXAcIaVsUHcqPU7rm3DJX41vbNl63pISiZsexYHW7gsjjt0-HI7_NF_JrqxIt6zk02OXiSzaCyQGXCxYfHB_9f9xzZ9FCV15Bx6J5FqcY6MS_WL40AYFdjXtufIGVEMLr1o5fSxaLJuAxC7lrOqE4JZ0U4-Z0ZZ0gcxSSUrFEeA66z_SQUwPU617rD03y3T4QVnDWhl6L44gBFqCjprvNwIqL6BtoNPIdCupEdfJSFlu_qCxbxuk4Ye5NwoQpX1sbHSQ862tRWqBjx5qaF9YS7Fekk79h-zo96O1tYd4k0tSV2KWkUnhmg7NhLnGQ=w1135-h638-no

Looks like a pretty aggressive tire with high shoulders. Wonder how quiet it will be.
Wha? did someone say something?

Loud. They are loud. For street use only it would not make sense to get the wildpeaks.

Bridgestone DUELER A/T REVO 2
SIZE: P235/75R15

On my 4th set -and I luv 'em!

Our roads SUCK in the PRK but these babies take it in stride.

Pretty aggressive computer designed tread (that's very quiet).

I put my latest set on last year, one month before we experience record breaking rainfall here in Nor Cal PRK (10 years worth in one season). Several times during the rain season, I witnessed cars hydroplaning and spinning out, but my Sport motored on by at 60-65 mph in total confidence.

I get about 45,000 Miles per set (I rotate religiously every 5,000 Miles).

Check out the reviews at Tire Rack -

attachment.jpg

BigPic.jpg

BFG AT KO2s.

Michelin Defender LTX MS/2 for me! Got them on sale at Costco for my ranger. Huge improvement over my worn RT/Ss. My second choice would be the Firestone Destination LE2.

Locally, at least, I have seen some really aggressive sales pitches on the Firestone Destination series of tires. As in, buy 4, get 1 free. Meaning all-in you'd be at $400 vs. $600 or $700 otherwise.

I am a BFG KO guy, but for that price difference...I'd be tempted.

I just put on General Grabber HTS's. I like them. All in all I think I paid about $460 with mounting and balancing.

My Defenders were about....$950 installed. That included mounting, balancing, nitrogen inflation, and a lifetime alignment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ripped off a set of the Destination LE2's on my 2003 Explorer, had them on our Liberty as well and that was one of the biggest mistakes we made with it. Live in the Northwoods of Wisconsin so we see a decent amount of snow. Those tires sucked in the snow and rain. The ones I took off my Explorer were put on by the previous owner and with them on the truck it felt "squishy" while driving. They were definitely not going to hold up so went with a set of Cooper Discover AT3's. Those are some nice tires, good pricing at 116.00 a tire at Discount Tire. No road noise from them and the truck just feels better while driving. All told it was 554 out the door and I ended up with 205 dollars in rebates from Cooper and Discount Tire.

Take a look at the Cooper Discover AT3's lots of good reviews out there on them

Back