2017 reverse sensor when towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 reverse sensor when towing

Hey guys I'm a newb to Explorers and I have a question about the back up alarm on my 2017 XLT.
To date, I haven't towed anything but on July 4th I mounted a flag pole and naturally, when in reverse, the alarm went off because it was just a foot or so from my bumper.
I wondered if I had a trailer with a harness hooked up that would turn off the alarm because I imagine backing up a trailer with that alarm sounding would be very annoying.
Now, IF having a harness connected does turn the alarm off, is there a dummy plug of some sort I could connect just to override the reverse alarm for when I have my flag pole holder or cargo carrier on?
Thanks for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about the 5th gen system.

Gen 4 Explorers and Mountaineers with backup sensors will start beeping at you as soon as you put in reverse, with a trailer attached. But when in reverse, the dashboard info system automatically changes to the screen for muting the alarm. So all you have to do is extend your finger on the same hand (which is still on the gear selector), and hit the reset button. But if I'm only back a short distance, I usually don't bother.

Pretty sure as soon as you plug in anything to the hitch plug the truck goes into trailer mode. I know that's what the 15+ F150s do for sure. It disables the blind spot radar also.

@thebrakeman - Thanks, I did not see anywhere on screen to mute the alarm.

@boominXplorer - I thought it would do that. That's why I was asking about a dummy plug.

You could get one of the testers that plug in that you use to check light output. They are pretty compact too.

Pretty sure as soon as you plug in anything to the hitch plug the truck goes into trailer mode. I know that's what the 15+ F150s do for sure. It disables the blind spot radar also.
i really doubt that.
My 16 beep with trailer connected.
pretty stupid oversight from ford
i should precise that it is with the trailer connected to the 4 pins, not the 7 pins connector

Back