Upgrading your old Explorer keys to something nicer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading your old Explorer keys to something nicer

thanks @Rainlord i emailed the seller where you bought yours and he replied that they have both frequency. so i will order the 433mhz very soon, but you mentioned on your first post they were $20 each? they are now $40 each free shipping in my area.

i got the key and able to programmed it, ignition and remote are working fine, but every time i start the car it says "could not program key" so, i've checked the PATS counter and the new key was added. its a bit annoying. I left another keyfob inside the car just in case. @Rainlord have you encounter this issue on your new keys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt anyone from Ford is reading this Forum. That is why they have the Ford Social website so owners can leave comments there.

Peter
I'll bet someone at Ford does lurk here. This is a more popular Explorer forum than Ford's own. Whether they have the ability to make change, maybe not but information, it flows and lands where it will.

i got the key and able to programmed it, ignition and remote are working fine, but every time i start the car it says "could not program key" so, i've checked the PATS counter and the new key was added. its a bit annoying. I left another keyfob inside the car just in case. @Rainlord have you encounter this issue on your new keys?

I have yes, it happens to me every so often as well. I agree it's annoying but it doesn't seem to have any other side-effect other than that message, which goes away after a few seconds. I do wonder what is causing it, perhaps the chip isn't 100% what the car expects somehow. If you figure something out let me know, otherwise I'd say it's worth the "annoyance" to have a better key.

(I'm also still looking for a 5 button one that includes remote start + lift gate and folds and is 315mhz... but so far no such luck. There is one for 433 but it can't be switched to 315 per the seller)

I have yes, it happens to me every so often as well. I agree it's annoying but it doesn't seem to have any other side-effect other than that message, which goes away after a few seconds. I do wonder what is causing it, perhaps the chip isn't 100% what the car expects somehow. If you figure something out let me know, otherwise I'd say it's worth the "annoyance" to have a better key.

(I'm also still looking for a 5 button one that includes remote start + lift gate and folds and is 315mhz... but so far no such luck. There is one for 433 but it can't be switched to 315 per the seller)
yes i will let you know in case i found solution to that annoyance. can you send me the link for that flip keyfob with remote start, mine was 433mhz, 'ill check it out. thanks

yes i will let you know in case i found solution to that annoyance. can you send me the link for that flip keyfob with remote start, mine was 433mhz, 'ill check it out. thanks

This is the one I was looking at for 433.

@Rainlord i think the blade is too tin, are the same design and size of the one we bought? can blade be interchange?

As far as I can tell the blade is the same, and can be exchanged, I actually have one at home of the 433MHZ one so I can tell you exactly once I get home from work (european time).

If you found something , then tell me... i searching, too

I doubt anyone from Ford is reading this Forum.

Peter

Comparison and contrast to Tesla, "I doubt anyone from Ford is reading this Forum", while posts from Tesla customers are read and reacted too, by their CEO Elon Musk. I sure hope Ford comes up to speed in modern times and realizes how important customer service really is to both current owners and the younger "information age" generation. Hyperlink below describes how Elon Musk read a customer complaint, agreed with it and addressed it:

"Here's what Musk did after a Tesla customer complained on Twitter"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...musk-promised-to-fix-it/ar-AAqwL1J?li=BBnb7Kz

So, I've yet to read a post from the CEO of Ford in this forum and worse yet there is no longer is any representation from Ford fielding some very important issues that are being posted in this forum.

Does anyone know if the IAK could be programmed just for remote purposes? I know it wouldn't start the vehicle with the little emergency key, but I'm just wondering if it would work for unlocking, opening the liftgate, and remote start. I would have to program it through Forscan, but I don't know if that could be done either, without having the push button start.

@Rainlord i think the blade is too tin, are the same design and size of the one we bought? can blade be interchange?

Ok I just checked. The construction of the key itself seems identical to the key that I list in the first post of this thread, but the blade is indeed too thin on the 4+1 key (thickness is the same but the width is about half of what it needs to be) so you would have to take a "correct thickness" blade and use that, such as that from the other key, and mount on this key, it should fit just fine.

Ok I just checked. The construction of the key itself seems identical to the key that I list in the first post of this thread, but the blade is indeed too thin on the 4+1 key (thickness is the same but the width is about half of what it needs to be) so you would have to take a "correct thickness" blade and use that, such as that from the other key, and mount on this key, it should fit just fine.
thats what i though when i first saw it. maybe because its for focus/fiesta. is the blade of the 4 button flip key fit on the 4+1 with remote start?

thats what i though when i first saw it. maybe because its for focus/fiesta. is the blade of the 4 button flip key fit on the 4+1 with remote start?

Yes, that's what I was trying to say :) It should fit no problem as the key itself (minus blade and chip) is as far as I can tell, exactly the same.

@Rainlord i purchased new chip from local locksmith and replaced the chip on the flip key, programmed and walaaa no annoying message :)

Will a F150 key work for the explorer? I've seen some with remote start for it in ebay

Will a F150 key work for the explorer? I've seen some with remote start for it in ebay
Not sure if all the buttons will work but the main thing is the operating frequency. I believe for the Explorer it is 315MHz.

Peter

I just didn't know if the key thickness would work. I would need a key blade for the 2013 ford explorer Base with remote start.

Hi am having a hard time following this thread. There are a couple of discussions happening concurrently. The one I am interested in is a flip key with remote start capabilities. It seems that the currently proposed solution is taking the key blade from the non-remote start flip key and installing it into a flip key fob that has remote start button? am I reading that right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back