2000 4.0 SOHC starter replacement

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Hello,

I have to replace my starter after 18 years. Can anyone tell me if this needs to be removed out the wheel well, or can come out from below? Have not found any good threads on this...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes some have had trouble and went in through the driver's side wheel well, especially to get the top bolt off.

On my Sport Trac, the starter I remove from below. It is not difficult, hardest part is the top bolt removal, I use a 13 ring spanner. Moving bolt in small turns till I can get it out.
DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE YOU START.

Got her out...Not too bad upper bolt is the worst, Had to remove front drive shaft to get better access. Will go back in much easier. Starter worked but bad solenoid. Not whether to get a new one, have this rebuilt, of go to the U-pull?

I wouldn't get a used junkyard starter for something this old, electric motors tend not to age well sitting outside unused for years, plus might already have been nearly as worn out as yours.

You have to know what your looking for. Lots of trucks have new starters and end up in the yard with other issues. A good low mileage truck, or one with a newer stater is fine. Not an original 19 year old unit...no

^ Seems sort of like a needle in a haystack, though it can be fun browsing around junkyards.

I repaired mine using Victory Lap FDS-03 repair kit and new solenoid. I like to know what's going on and my refurbishment gives me a sense of achievement. The Victory Lap kit has everything for motor internals. Finding the the correct solenoid was more difficult, just make sure you connect it up correctly if you take this route.

Rockauto have new ones for $52...TYC brand

I rebuilt a starter for about $25 using ebay parts - brushes and solenoid. That is probably the minimum to replace.
All parts are made in China now so whatever you buy is probably ok.
Buying separate parts allow you to choose a brand for the components, I don't know how much that means. You also know the rest of the components are top quality. If the magnets aren't broken and the rotor contacts are not damaged it is good for another 20 years.

If I'm still driving this truck in 20 years, please come and shoot me!

Job is done and its not bad at all. Got a good used low mileage starter from a 2003 Sport for $25. It was made by Vistion, and mine was a Motorcraft. there is a good video by A1 Auto on youtube.

Upper bolt is the hardest, just remove front driveshaft and move to the side while you work. use a 3/8 ratchet with a swivel head for upper bolt. Deep socket may help here. Once bolts are out, push starter back and remove electrical connections with a 10mm and a 13mm and 1/4 ratchet. Drop the motor out, tight fit but id will drop down.

Have fun!

Back