• Register Today It's free!

Real bad shaking in my front end

Shane Carroll

Reaction score
City, State
Buford Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I have a 98 explorer 4.0L RWD automatic and it has a horrible shake up front that feels like i have a loose wheel but everything is tight. I have replaced sway bar links and bushing, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, u-joints, outer tie rods, wheel seals and caster/cambers. The only thing left is ball joints, control arms, and rack n pinion, could either of those 3 things cause the shaking im feeling? Its bad enough that im scared to drive it but its my only means of transportation and all these repairs have me broke financially. Any tips or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, ANY of "those 3 things" could cause real bad front end shaking. Anyone in your area give free alignment checks?

If you replaced those parts and THEN the shaking started, could be air in your power steering from turning the wheel with the engine off.

^ Excellent point, and very common mistake when the wheels are turned with the engine NOT running. Usual fix is driving slowly, while turning the steering wheel lock to lock until the air purges. Hope that's your shaking issue, cheapest fix ever.

I have a 98 explorer 4.0L RWD automatic and it has a horrible shake up front that feels like i have a loose wheel but everything is tight. I have replaced sway bar links and bushing, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, u-joints, outer tie rods, wheel seals and caster/cambers. The only thing left is ball joints, control arms, and rack n pinion, could either of those 3 things cause the shaking im feeling? Its bad enough that im scared to drive it but its my only means of transportation and all these repairs have me broke financially. Any tips or suggestions?
I have the same problem and i replaced the sway bar links, brakes, calipers, and rotors. any other ideas to fix it

Bad tire?

hub?

I have the same problem and i replaced the sway bar links, brakes, calipers, and rotors. any other ideas to fix it
Did you read Robman's post about air in the steering?

Shake doesn't tell us a lot though, does it shake if you rev the engine in park? Does the shake seem to increase based on vehicle speed, or engine speed (which one)? Have you checked your BJs and tie rod ends for play?

Inner tie rod ends were not mentioned

Rwd explorer has wheel bearings not “hubs or unit bearings”

Power steering system needs bled sometimes if air enters the system

In any case a front end shake down test is needed, put front tires in air support truck by frame and check for looseness with your hands and with a small pry bar

Given the age, for an unknown services record vehicle, I bet the control arms(BJ's) are all bad, and the hubs could be as prone, then the TRE's are likely, wheel bearings of course for a 2WD.

I'd like to find a much better front sway bar end link bushing set. The crap called for on these are all too small, including the EE bushings. I have a set of those EE bushings on my PC right now, part 9.8105G, I would call these cute, not big, and not big enough. I have larger bushings on my 98 Mercury, but those parts were a combination of three end link sets I had on hand. I think those bushings may be OEM Mustang used bushings from a late 90's car. I put those on that truck or my old 91 LSC with a Turbo Coupe bar.

I've wore out another end link, fast, some made in America brand through Amazon. Junk little red bushings, just destroyed by the link itself.

Try the Moog end links w white bushings they seem to hold up well for the $$$
Otherwise I have built my own links several times using energy urethane bushings washers and some long ass bolts

^ Moog changed those bushings and they are junk now.

Best larger bushing option I'm aware of is still what swshawaii did, machined down the ES 9.8103G to fit:

Back