LED headlights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlights

Note! Anyone wanting to paint their headlights and NOT using projectors, then DONT spray the cones! They are important for reflecting light and you will f%#$ your lights if you spray them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly!

That's why I wanted to pick up an extra pair of stocks to have on hand if I ever needed to switch back.

Hmmm, I don't have fogs and my lows stay on with my highs...

Good to know. They may have done it that way on the ones without fogs, or mine could be special. I just remembered that mine left the factory without fogs and they were later installed at the dealer. It's also an early build '02 and was one of the first thousand or so made so it has some minor differences. Someone else who has them could probably confirm.

I think it is illegal to modify DOT headlights. Please take the others into consideration and modify only the high beams. You have no idea what your modified low beams look like to oncoming traffic.
I see a lot of rednecks in this area doing so, the result is a time span of about 2 seconds where the oncoming driver is blinded.

For those of you that want black headlights, RockAuto sells some that are already black.

111058__ra_p.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8485392

111071__ra_p.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8485424

I'm personally not looking to do anything with the low beams, they're fine as they are for city driving with the help of street lights. I do however need more light on the pitch black rural roads.

Considering 4 to 8 (4-5 on roof, 2-3 in front of grille) of these with 130 watt bulbs. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C52CW-100-Watt-Quartz-Halogen/dp/B004L0AAQY/

H3%20130W.PT95__ra_p.jpg
H3%20130W.PT95__ra_p.jpg

TechGuru, the second set with the directionals are what I used to have on my truck before I cracked them when I hit the wrong side of a guardrail. ;) I loved the way they looked and I'm probably going to get them again. My tail lights are blackened LEDs I picked up online.

alt-on-fexp02-led-bk.jpg

I think it is illegal to modify DOT headlights. Please take the others into consideration and modify only the high beams. You have no idea what your modified low beams look like to oncoming traffic.
I see a lot of rednecks in this area doing so, the result is a time span of about 2 seconds where the oncoming driver is blinded.
What I see more of honestly is people not putting the projectors in, and just throwing HID kits or LED bulbs in the reflector housings, casting a fireball of light down the road. Or even worse, the people whose headlights have yellowed from UV damage that think the solution is a brighter bulb like an HID or LED.

OT...I can't stand those guys. They've got the sky-high pickups running blinding blue HIDs in a reflector housing *and* LED lightbars in the grille, bumper, roof rack, etc. We're on a county road people, not deep in the pitch-black woods for cryin' out loud.

OT...I can't stand those guys. They've got the sky-high pickups running blinding blue HIDs in a reflector housing *and* LED lightbars in the grille, bumper, roof rack, etc. We're on a county road people, not deep in the pitch-black woods for cryin' out loud.

Well the county roads around here ARE pitch-black woods, lol.

Until LED's can be made in native 4300K I'll stick with halogen off road lights or 4300K HID's but generally I prefer lights that don't have to warm up.

We're on a county road people, not deep in the pitch-black woods for cryin' out loud.
Well the county roads around here ARE pitch-black woods, lol.

Until LED's can be made in native 4300K I'll stick with halogen off road lights or 4300K HID's but generally I prefer lights that don't have to warm up.

Yea, the county roads near me go from wide open to pitch black woods about every other mile.
OT...I can't stand those guys. They've got the sky-high pickups running blinding blue HIDs in a reflector housing *and* LED lightbars in the grille, bumper, roof rack, etc.
I encountered one of these dingbats the other day. driving with his high beams on inside fogged , and when I flashed mine at him, he had the balls to flash his overhead light bars at me... I've never wanted to run someone off the road for something so small.

I encountered one of these dingbats the other day. driving with his high beams on inside fogged , and when I flashed mine at him, he had the balls to flash his overhead light bars at me... I've never wanted to run someone off the road for something so small.

Those types really piss me off. Some days I wish I had the whole front end of my Ex rigged with LEDs so that if some fool is running down the road full-on with their lightbars going, I could just turn the dark road into full daylight for 'em.

Those types really piss me off. Some days I wish I had the whole front end of my Ex rigged with LEDs so that if some fool is running down the road full-on with their lightbars going, I could just turn the dark road into full daylight for 'em.

Ya, I'd love 6 to 8 of them 130-Watt halogen's for that, lol. 4-5 on the roof and 2-3 on the front...

There are a couple of options for the black lamps. Note that its the base reflector that is chromed and puts the light on the road - regardless of bulb type. The rest of the lamp can be what ever color you desire.

I got what I considered a clean styled set from a seller on ebay with high ratings, you have to note that many of the tuner-import sellers based in California put their best prices on ebay. They were about 100 including side markers, again, clean styling all 4 across and to sell these in the USA, somewhere down the line they've been tested. Good LED sellers will show a beam pattern and specs in their adverts and will show a top line cut off - that is where glare gets in the way, and it can come from the all chrome lamps too from light bouncing around. With the black outs - only the parabola proper is pushing light where it was designed to go.

LED's, two sided is old technology the more reliable with more LED are three and in 2017, four sided. I went with 4-sided and enjoy the difference. You have to look for LUMEN output, they are rated at all 4 bulbs included so divide by 4 to get the single bulb if buying for H/L at the same time. I found that the pass side opening metal by the "joke of an air box inlet" had to be cleared away slightly to allow proper fitment. That - a new cold air inlet is on the next up project, there's hardly any opening at all for air flow around the lamp to get to the air inlet.

FOGS next - again looking for light output and lots of it.

The base OE design was fogs can be on with low beams, when you forward to the high beams, not eh tiny highbeam parabola, nothing, so both low high are on and the fogs cut off. You ca over ride that if you manually pull back on the stalk, but you have to hold that while driving, again that is stock.

early in this thread, less a link, someone mentioned that the LED have issue with can bus.

is it possible for 2005 that while the L/H are off some leakage occurs and they come on slightly when you tap the brakes?

something really bad is up with the set I put in

Stick with Sylvania XtraVision.

LED's won't melt the ice/snow off of the lenses.

You don't want blue tinted or even white in snow country. It just causes glare on the white snow and reduces visibility. 4300K is the max.

Those are fog lights not driving lights at the bottom AFAIK. You should put YELLOW bulbs in them. Wish my exp had them.

Low Beam Bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY/

High Beam Bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HI0HY/

Yellow Fog Bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9EVJIK/
I have led headlights and fog lights white 6500 very bright

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changed fog lights to 4" off road led fog light bar will post pictures soon

Back