2017 how to get air out coolant system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 how to get air out coolant system

Mlim_556

Reaction score
City, State
Northern MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Replaced my thermostat the other day, and now have no heat at idle. Can someone tell me what the procedure is on getting air out the system? It's a 2017 sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You replaced the thermostat on a brand new Explorer.
Why? If something was wrong, why didn't you use your Warranty?

Performance related, put a 160° in

Try running it at idle with the cap off the coolant tank watching for bubbles and refilling as the level goes down due to the breaking of the air pockets. I believe running the 170* thermostat will result in a richer mixture by fooling the computer and it'll most likely add more fuel to your oil and dilute it even more than usual with these engines.

Whimsey

This is the best way:
UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit

It finally bled, and I have heat now. No more gurgling either

Performance related, put a 170° in
And can you explain how will you gain performance?
Do you expect the maximum temperature to be lower than before??

It's actually a 160°.. It reduces the operating temp in your engine to make more power.. with supporting mods it makes it feel 10x better than stock. Alot more power over factory specs. It's thru livernois motorsports.

.. with supporting mods it makes it feel 10x better than stock..........
That is the part that should have been in your initial post.;)

Peter

It's actually a 160°.. It reduces the operating temp in your engine to make more power.. with supporting mods it makes it feel 10x better than stock. Alot more power over factory specs. It's thru livernois motorsports.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you got it completely wrong.
That is not the way the cooling system, and in particular the T-stat work
A thermostat only control the minimum engine temperature
The Maximum temperature is controlled by the cooling system BTU's ( British Thermal Units) capacity
Your car is going to have exactly the same operating temperature than before. The only thing that a cooler thermostat do is to delay slightly the time that the system take to reach equilibrium
Don't believe me? Do some research
And 160 as the minimum temperature is bad for the engine. Why do you think that thermostat are usually around 210/215 ????
To boil off any moisture, water vapors that always condensate in the oil

The Maximum temperature is controlled by the cooling system BTU's ( British Thermal Units) capacity
Your car is going to have exactly the same operating temperature than before. The only thing that a cooler thermostat do is to delay slightly the time that the system take to reach equilibrium
And 160 as the minimum temperature is bad for the engine. Why do you think that thermostat are usually around 210/215 ????

If a cooling system is set up for it, it will run at a lower temperature. I agree that the t-stat controls your lowest temp and the system as a whole controls your maximum temp, but if the system can handle it, it'll run at around 160F with the lower t-stat.

The one thing that needs to be adjusted is the fan operating temperature. With a tune, the fans will kick on at a lower temp than factory, so the engine should operate at a lower temp.

Also, a 160F t-stat will likely reduce engine oil temps, but the question is, does it lower below the water boiling temp? If an engine is at operating temperature, the engine oil is typically at a higher temp than the coolant, so the oil could still get hot enough to boil off the water vapor. Without actually measuring the oil temp, we can only guess what it's temperature will be, but it will be lower with a lower temp thermostat.

what you are stating might apply to a stock vehicle, but like I said previously.. With supporting mods there are only benefits to gain. My car is tuned, and made to run with this thermostat.

Just got back from a drive anf and noticed the bleeder valve by the thermostat housing is dripping coolant. I never touched the bleeder, what could of caused it to start dripping?

Just got back from a drive and noticed the bleeder valve by the thermostat housing is dripping coolant. I never touched the bleeder, what could of caused it to start dripping?

wait for it to cool down. Remove the bleeder and use some permatec pipe sealant on the threads, that's assuming that the bleeder plug is removable.

Back