• Register Today It's free!

Stall at idle with AC

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Ive noticed that my ex will stutter or even stall (happened twice) when im at a stoplight for a long time and happen to have the AC on. Its not a guarantee to happen each time as I need to be at a stop for a while, but I have noticed that it occurs when the AC is running. I am wondering if there is a vacuum leak in the system that could cause it. I think there is a leak because when I adjust one of the knobs, it sounds like a coffee maker when its just getting started haha. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

A vac leak in the A/C console lines will tend to cause the A/C to blow out the defroster vents before it's bad enough to cause the engine to stall, but you could have a vac leak somewhere else that's bad enough, or now a combination of more than one vac leak.

I wouldn't assume a vac leak in the A/C vent door tubing unless you continue to hear the noise, not only when changing it. I'm not ruling it out, just seems less likely in that case.

Is the check engine light on? I'd use a scan tool to pull the OBDII codes and if the tool can show live data, all the better - Look at the long term fuel trims, if they're going positive by more than a few percent then a vac leak is likely.

You could have a dirty or worn out IAC, might try cleaning it out and lubing the shaft where it enters the bushing with a drop of oil. You could have a compressor that's shot, worn out bearings.

I used my SCT X4 to look for codes but nothing has come up. Yes the other day I lubed up the IAC but didnt clean it because it still looked ok imo. I havent gone a drive to see if that helped yet. I live pretty close to my school so I just walk. Ill take it on a test drive tomorrow

Back