Preemptive Timing Chain replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preemptive Timing Chain replacement?

stlrugger

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
Had my 2012 XLT AWD with 103,000 miles into the shop today for a strange vibration under acceleration. Diagnosis is bad motor and transmission mounts -- all three. Estimate to fix is about $1k.

The service advisor told me that I should replace the timing belt and water pump while they're doing the work. No codes or other obvious indicators of looming problems. Cost would approach $4k with the add ons.

I was under the impression that the 3.5L V6 has a timing chain and shouldn't need to be replaced -- is he right to suggest a preemptive replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To me, $1k for motor/trans mounts seems high, but if it's a dealer, it may be what is expected.

The nearly $3k for the timing chain and water pump also seems high to me, but again, that may be what dealers want.

Have you gotten a second opinion? Maybe from an reputable indy shop in your area.

no, unless you plan on keeping it to 200K and don't usually keep an eye on the coolant level since Ford didn't install a low coolant level sensor...brilliant:crazy:, then yes

$1,700 for water pump +/- not $3k.

No clue on motor mounts.

If the shop told to replace the timing "belt", then you need run away from them!! Yes, the 3.5L has a timing chain, not belt.

I am sure every Explorer the dealership takes in with the mileage of yours that they intend to sell to their customers have new timing chains and water pumps in them.

Had my 2012 XLT AWD with 103,000 miles into the shop today for a strange vibration under acceleration. Diagnosis is bad motor and transmission mounts -- all three. Estimate to fix is about $1k.

The service advisor told me that I should replace the timing belt and water pump while they're doing the work. No codes or other obvious indicators of looming problems. Cost would approach $4k with the add ons.

I was under the impression that the 3.5L V6 has a timing chain and shouldn't need to be replaced -- is he right to suggest a preemptive replacement?
Depending on what work you're going to have done, replacing the water pump may be a good investment. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...ter-pump-failure-leads-to-dead-engine.424482/

Peter

Considered trading it in? Could a good option if you are in a position to do so. No dealer will put a vehicle with 100K back on their lot. It would go straight to auction, as-is. They would not need to knock $3K off the trade-in value (though a slimy dealer might try).

If not, I think that estimate is in the ballpark. Do you need to replace the Timing Chains (there are 3) and water pump? Probably not, but the rationale goes something like this:

• In order to replace the mounts, the engine/tranny need to be lifted at a minimum and possibly removed completely. If you just do the mounts, that operation will need to be repeated in order to replace the water pump and/or chains, and you'll pay for it again.
  • The chains and pump are not terribly expensive on their own, but there are a ton of smaller parts (guides, tensioner, gaskets, etc.) that are also replaced, so that portion of the bill will add up. Still, you are basically paying for a bunch of labor.
  • If the water pump fails sometime later and is not noticed right away, there is a good chance it will grenade the engine. That's the end of the line, as you're talking $7-10K for a replacement.
It's a gamble, and the service writer's job is to bring more business into the dealership. Some go over the top, but there is something to be said for the reassurance new parts bring. Personally, I'd probably decline and take my chances, especially if I didn't plan to keep the Ex forever.

Interesting story on the CBC this morning about unnecessary car repairs. It's based upon Canadian dealers but I'm sure the same thing happens elsewhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-dealerships-service-upselling-1.4300557
That type of stuff has been going on for years in more than just the auto repair industry (but they're an easy target for a reason).

For those that do not have the knowledge and do not want to educate themselves on things, the best advice is to shop around for a local indy mechanic that you can trust and has reasonable pricing for any customer pay repairs. Get educated. Ask questions. Whenever someone is trying to sell you something, always get a second or third opinion.

Back