• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 in 00 Sport

SANDSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER SPORT
I read a few threads and I couldn't find what I needed to know. I have a 97 Mountaineer and a 00 Sport and I'm wanting to join the two. What difficulties am I going to run into with this in regards to fuel, PATS, wiring,.........etc.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS wont be an issue with the '97.

Biggest single issue will be fuel system. You'll need to remove the Fuel Pressure Regulator in the fuel tank and add a fuel return line from the 5.0's return back down to fuel filter area where the Sport's return is.

Grab the front half of the return from the Expo, maybe will need a couple of the plastic clips that secure the fuel lines to the frame.

A simple brass compression union can be used to join the return from the 5.0 to the cut off return nipple off the filter then simply plugs into the nylon return line going back to the tank.

After that, you might have an issue with a speed signal. Might be as simple as unplugging the VSS at the back of the transmission or disconnecting the grey/black wire at the 42 pin connector between the 5.0 engine harness and the Sport's body harness.

Thanks SoHK Alumni for the response, so the PATS on the 00 Sport won't be an issue with the 97 Mounty's ECM?

Thanks SoHK Alumni for the response, so the PATS on the 00 Sport won't be an issue with the 97 Mounty's ECM?

1997 doesn't have PATS

Turdle, I know the 97 Mounty doesn't have PATS. I was wondering if its ECM, which will be in the 00 Sport, will need flashed to work with the Sports PATS system or is it separate.

Thanks Turdle, that's good to hear. I appreciate the info and I will keep EF updated on my progress.

On my ranger when I did my swap (01 truck to 97 harness and computer) I had to loop the wires going to the computer for pats to complete the starter signal.

Back