Semi Metallic brake pads vs Ceramic | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Semi Metallic brake pads vs Ceramic

Just got the factory rotors turned for $50 for all four. That's cheaper than a new Motorcraft BRRF rotor FWIW.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mechanic used to turn them, but says they're so thin nowadays he just buys new ones.

You start replacing with cheap rotors, hang on to your old ones for a bit. I have been through as many as four to get a good one. I was wishing I had my old ones back. YMMV

That's why I only buy Motorcraft. I have yet to encounter a defective part from them. I've been using them exclusively for several years now for everything from fluids to filters to parts. I've used other parts that either lead to a poor fit, e.g., air filters, or even poor performance, e.g., spark plugs.

To drewmcg's point about false economy with cheap parts, IMHO, you may end up paying more for more replacement parts or other problems down the road instead of paying a little more for quality parts the first time.

So I just bought some medium duty Wagner Semi M and E-coated rotors from Rockauto. I use to LOVE RA. But I am beginning to not. First off my forum discount did not go through. No way to check till you submit your payment and submit. Next their shipping/tracking just showed up. Will arrive next week. Over 1 week to get my parts. Finally their shipping rates and structure SUCK. I understand that not everything has free shipping and the free means that it is hidden in the cost. OK. But then there are 3 warehouses they ship from. I had a large order or various parts for various cars and had items shipping from all 3 warehouses. I deleted the items from the other 2 warehouses. In doing so the warehouses/parts change so that I still can't get all my parts to ship from the same location.

My front rotors and pads I bought off a package from Amazon. No wonder they are becoming the go to on-line sales KING. If these parts were available from Amazon, I would have gone through them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6PFDL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice thing about Amazon are the reviews. For the item you linked to, the previous buyers = the guinea pigs! Still, those are generic parts--despite all the glorious claims. "Urban auto parts"? Never heard of 'em. And years of experience have shown that even if U.S. companies get a good batch of parts from their Chinese, etc., supplier initially, there's no guarantee the next batch will meet the agreed specs.Good example is the Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring debacle. Major American auto suppliers (Wagner, Raybestos, Delhi, etc.) have much more rigorous purchasing operations here and abroad.

Shipping delay/costs are the biggest frustration with RockAuto. They evidently are no longer an official "supplier" here, but you can get a 5% discount code here (thanks TechGuru): https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com .

With that discount, you can get a pair of Raybestos Professional front rotors, RAYBESTOS 680014R, and a pair of front premium ceramic pads w/hardware, CENTRIC 30108330, delivered to Michigan for under $90. Still a safer bet/value than generic parts, in my book. I've had pretty good experience returning parts with RockAuto w/in warranty period.. (No, I'm not affiliated with RockAuto in any way--though I have purchased lots of parts from them over the years; Amazon, too.)

In the one instance where I let brakes go too long over the years and couldn't wait a week for parts, I went to CarQuest and bought the the higher of two CarQuest brand rotors they sold (same 2d cheapest philosophy). Today, I might go to NAPA instead, now that AdvanceAuto bought CarQuest and I don't necessarily trust its foreign purchasing operation as much.

Wish I had seen that retailmenot link. Thanks, I will keep that in mind, though I am probably not going to be placing an order anytime soon.

Those "urban auto" front rotors have held up very well. During initial break in I was concerned that I was over heating the rotors as I was smoking the pads. But they have had a couple of thousand miles on them and are holding up fine. I was driving the EX this morning and as I was coming off the summit (going too fast) I horked down on the brakes to scrub some speed. Good pedal feel and no shimmy. I read somewhere that is the preferred way to brake. Apply firm brake pressure for a second or 2 and release. Rather then gingerly ridding them for 5-10 seconds. My only complaint, though I already was excepting it (as these are non coated), is that rust on the rotor hats has already begun to form.

For the rears (order placed yesterday), I bought the Wagner zx881 semi metalic pads and the BD125759E e-coated rotors. Curious to see the condition of the current brakes when I install these. The condition of the inboard side of the brakes is always surprising.

Well rotors arived. Bone head me only bought 1. Not like I haven't ordered rotors on line before and knew they come individually.

Needing another and not wanting to pay a premium ie shipping again, I bought one off of amazon. Used. Like new used. Wonder what I am going to get. I assume they are return and don't have the packING or a ding as they were dropped. Doubt anyone would install these run them for X amount of time, not like them, pull them off and return them to amazon. Then to package up some used rotors and send them to the used buyer market. We will see what I get. Tomorrow. Go prime

You mean you're going to install mis-matched rotors?!?!?!?!?!?! Very unsafe.

No they are both the same Wagner model xxxx. Just bought one under the "used" category on Amazon. Which from past experience, but not specified in the text, I assume they are new but not in the package, as they were returned and original packaging destroyed.

It's best to install rotors from the same "lot" number...

After having RockAuto send me a mis-matched set (each was made in a different plant and had a different texture) I prefer to pick them out in person now.

You mean you're going to install mis-matched rotors?!?!?!?!?!?! Very unsafe.
Anecdotally, I used different suppliers for each of my front rotors for my '02 XLS two years ago (RockAuto wholesale closeouts) with no ill effects whatsoever. YMMV. Frankly, I have a hard time seeing how there could be a problem with this--assuming you don't do something stupid, like install a drilled or slotted rotor on one wheel but not the other--since each caliper floats independently. Do by all means use matching brake pads, however.

I've come across some where the surface texture feels different thus will have differences in drag.

Now if you buy two different ones then have them both resurfaced on the same machine by the same person to the same spec then they should be fine.

But a new one made and surfaced in Mexico mixed with a new one made and surfaced in China tend to have some differences...

I'm sure they'd bed in just fine. The machine marks would be gone in short order.

Thanks for all of the feebdback. I am not concerned about not having mix matched "lot" numbers. Tech Guru suggest that ordering on line will not guarantee matching lots. My last 5 pairs of rotors have been from on-line vendors. None have had an issue. On my truck I had to pull the axles (dana 44) to change out a seal on one side . I had to hammer off the rotor thus bought a new one to replace. Didn't touch the other side. Been running like that for 2 years with no issue.

Well the rotor came today. Perfect should have bought both of my rotors used. 15$ and free shipping (I already have prime). They are brand new no blemishes, even in the vapor seal Un opened. I believe they were returned, but stil in the original box.

For reference i boyght from rock autofor 28 and paid 15.99 for 2 items. So 36 each. With tax I would have paid less for 2 from amazon.

Love new brakes. Anyone have a theory on the uneven wear.
20171104_131651.jpg

The pad is a little wavy. But what starts the unevennss?

How old were the rotors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front rotors are dual piston. Looks to me almost like one of your pistons seized or maybe hung up a bit, so the other one was applying most of the pressure--leading to a reduced friction "footprint" on the pad/rotor interface. You might not notice it pull except in extreme braking situation. Best guess--don't see how it could be a rotor (or even a pad) issue.

Maybe time for a a new/rebuilt caliper on that wheel?

Back