Rack & Pinion Gear Failure 2016/17 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rack & Pinion Gear Failure 2016/17 Explorer

PlatinumOwner

Reaction score
City, State
US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
My 2016 Explorer with around 13,000mi started making a loud popping noise occasionally during slow speed turns. Ford tech found that a gear failed in the electric power steering rack and pinion assembly and Ford Engineering confirmed that the entire unit will need to be replaced. Luckily it is under warranty. Has anyone experienced a failure like this or heard of any steering gear failures on 2016-2017 Explorers? I couldn't find much information on it so I am guessing that this is not common. I am aware of the thread on power steering issues on 2011-2015 Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First I think I've read on the 16-17.

Looking at Fordparts.com, it looks like they made several revisions to the steering gear during the '16 model year. Some of them were only used for a couple of months. They all have the same part number, but then are followed by (STE-x..) with various numbers. The same is true of the earlier years. For '13, it says part # 3504 (STE-72). One of the '16s is 3504 (STE-298). I don't know what the difference is. I was also surprised to find that the different engines have different STE- numbers.

Looking at Fordparts.com, it looks like they made several revisions to the steering gear during the '16 model year. Some of them were only used for a couple of months. They all have the same part number, but then are followed by (STE-x..) with various numbers. The same is true of the earlier years. For '13, it says part # 3504 (STE-72). One of the '16s is 3504 (STE-298). I don't know what the difference is. I was also surprised to find that the different engines have different STE- numbers.

Interesting, my Explorer was built on 3/15/2016 which is during one of the revisions that was only used from 2/5/2016 to 4/11/2016 (STE-299)

A reason I would not buy a SUV that doesn't use a power steering pump which are bullet proof. The electronic Steering system are a failure point on pretty much most vehicles that have them. I know the Escapes had them failing and an extremely expensive repair. A friend has 2010 Chev pickup with it in it. Why are they putting these in big vehicles which have the engine HP. It was a factor in getting the 2009, 2010 is the last year before that change as well as the crappy 3.5L engine.

You're lucky it got you in warranty and fingers crossed it lasts.

^ They are using electric steering to eek out a little better fuel economy, thanks to EPA and consumer demands.

It's only going to get worse, higher vehicle complexity and higher repair costs. It's even worse for the DIYer who might have repaired a simpler system themselves because when all is said and done they may have saved no money because the repair costs exceed the fuel savings costs.

For example suppose you drive 12K a year and it saves 3% MPG with fuel at $3/gal. You only saved $43/year, but it costs well over $1K more to replace. You'd only have to drive 20+ years (> 240K mi.) to break even IF you ever did, except it also costs more to put in the vehicle in the first place.

I figure that might have been it but might work for a new car buying replacing it before the warranty is done but not for used buyers or those going for 200k and more on the vehicle. Years ago I saw the Escape systems costing more than $1500.

I know and I would not buy one without a power steering pump as well an external water pump as well. Not what they did here. OMG dumb engineering a deal breaker at any price.

It seems like the repair cost might drop before long. I just checked rock auto and they want approx $700 (depending on part #) delivered for new Motorcraft electric racks, plus a $400 core charge.

If they value the core at $400 then they must be planning on someone rebuilding them. However I don't think the core's true value is $400 because that doesn't leave enough wiggle room for a rebuilder. I know it's hard to extrapolate but new vs used hydraulic racks for the prior generation, new is about triple the price of remanufactured, the core charge on a reman. is close to what the entire *new* reman rack costs. Maybe they're hoping you'll forget to send in the old one for reimbursement of the core charge.

Either way I'd expect that in the next few years we'll see reman electric for 5th gen X at $550 or less delivered (plus core charge).

@J C
Well that maybe fine and good that the parts drop. However, the old power steering pumps system don't fail period. I have owned loads of vehicles and ran the all over 200k km without any PS issues etc. A breakdown is still a breakdown and I would not want to be in that situation away from home any distant then have to work on the repair after.

The solution is simple. Just don't buy them and if the oem's don't change. There are plenty to look at as an alternative. I have been looking at a 4x4 Tahoe lately since Ford doesn't have solution for me I would even consider. I haven't dug into their PS and other factors but reliable technology is number 1 for me as I am sure for others.

The electric system also puts a lot of strain on the electrical system and you also have I am sure relays and switches, sensors all that can fail if the main motor even stays running over a 100k miles and more. Too many things to go wrong with that design for what. A minuscule savings. LOL not worth it !!!!

An emphatic no!!! from me I would not spend any money on such a vehicle and I have voice this to friends who are looking for a new vehicle to have this on their don't buy list if its an electric PS system. Currenty I am driving a 2009 Sante Fe AWD with normal power steer pump and rack and pinion drive. The Explorer is my son's second Explorer which we shopped for together. Nothing new in the power train that's now proven to work.

......However, the old power steering pumps system don't fail period.
I highly doubt that. You may not have had one fail but I'm quite sure some have.;)

Peter

@J C
Well that maybe fine and good that the parts drop. However, the old power steering pumps system don't fail period. I have owned loads of vehicles and ran the all over 200k km without any PS issues etc. A breakdown is still a breakdown and I would not want to be in that situation away from home any distant then have to work on the repair after.

The solution is simple. Just don't buy them and if the oem's don't change. There are plenty to look at as an alternative. I have been looking at a 4x4 Tahoe lately since Ford doesn't have solution for me I would even consider. I haven't dug into their PS and other factors but reliable technology is number 1 for me as I am sure for others.

I don't know the first model year to adopt it but the Tahoe switched to electric steering too. Year after year you have fewer options except to buy older and older vehicles. What is going to happen is the same as when any new(ish) tech was employed, that it takes a few years to improve the design.

The electric system also puts a lot of strain on the electrical system and you also have I am sure relays and switches, sensors all that can fail if the main motor even stays running over a 100k miles and more. Too many things to go wrong with that design for what. A minuscule savings. LOL not worth it !!!!

I wouldn't worry much about the electrical system. Even if it ends up that you have to buy a $10 relay, even $125 alternator or battery, these are lesser expenses and usually don't take much work to replace, plus they are the type of parts you'd expect to find in stock at any Autozone/etc if minimizing vehicle downtime is important.

Granted, it's the cumulative effect, $125 here, $1000 there, not necessarily progress.

Well I am not looking at new vehicles but older ones anyway. Tahoe may have changed a some point but maybe much later than the Explorer

Well I am not looking at new vehicles but older ones anyway. Tahoe may have changed a some point but maybe much later than the Explorer
All older vehicles were new at one time just like today's new vehicles will be the older ones before long.:D

Peter

@J C

An emphatic no!!! from me I would not spend any money on such a vehicle and I have voice this to friends who are looking for a new vehicle to have this on their don't buy list if its an electric PS system. Currenty I am driving a 2009 Sante Fe AWD with normal power steer pump and rack and pinion drive. The Explorer is my son's second Explorer which we shopped for together. Nothing new in the power train that's now proven to work.

I have gone through three power steering pumps in my 1994 Explorer with 167,000 miles.

The electric system in vehicles equipped with electric power steering are designed to handle the loads.

My power steering equipped vehicles are loaded with switches, relays and sensors.

I cant stand fuel injection due to the electronic part of it having problems, I will always buy used carburetor vehicles, they never fail, same goes for cars with power windows and air bags!!:laugh:

I have gone through three power steering pumps in my 1994 Explorer with 167,000 miles.

The electric system in vehicles equipped with electric power steering are designed to handle the loads.

My power steering equipped vehicles are loaded with switches, relays and sensors.

I had a 1991 Explorer and never a problem with it. I did flush the pump fluid when I got it but that is all. It was quite bad. Power steering is critical subsystem if it fail on the highway and accident is extremely likely without control. Old style pump systems will usually give some signs of distress, whining or other noises if something is not right and when fluid is low. Changing the fluid can be done without a of pain. A syphon out and fill repeatedly until clean is the easiest if hoses cannot be removed to drain it. That's what I do.

Here is the final diagnosis and parts used.

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

I can't stand cars, too many parts and things that can go wrong, wheels, engine , electronic???
Its why I only use a bike

Just to keep this going(and simplifying each time) :), I can't stand bikes, too many parts to fail, pedals, wheels, bearings, chains.....I'll stick to roller blades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Roller blades??? way too complicated. Will stick to walking now on

Back