T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Definately no cork. The rtv is applied at the seem of the lower intake and head. For the life of the vehicle it has never had torque spreaders on the covers. If I could find some that would fit it could potentially help the issue but looking at the cover it visibly isn't putting pressure on the gasket between bolts in about 3 places on the exhaust side and firewall side of the head so I'm thinking a flush new one will be the best way to go. The gasket I removed was stuck in there with a ton of rtv all the way around by the shop that did the head gaskets when I was in florida. That and the cheap gaskets they used along with other things I had found in the process of my rebuild would lead me to believe they really cranked down on the valve cover bolts and bent the cover for me and it just didn't leak from the amount of goop they put in there.

Check these out I think it's what you need. http://www.moranav6racing.com/i.php?f=/img/Products/pictures/IMG_5312.JPG&d=

Man I'm starting to feel like I just did a bad job with gaskets when I did the rebuild....my head gaskets and valve cover are replaced and no longer leaking. But now I am able to see that my oil pan gasket was leaking terribly when the oil got up to temp. Once I got the starter out it was pretty clear to see the extra clean strip where the hot oil was dripping from and 'washing' the aluminum pan. Its no small leak either and it wraps around the back of the pan so it looks like I'll be changing out that gasket now soon too... I really just want to be able to relax and enjoy all this effort already.

Alright well a few months later now and my focus has been on doing well in school since I'm back there again....the effort is doing me well but it's really different being the 'old guy' in class.

So, I've had some time and got the oil pan gasket re-done. Pulled the transmission just to chase down a dipstick tube leak and replaced it with a newish junkyard model since my old tubes bracket snapped off. Then just yesterday I sealed up a small leak by the joint of the timing cover and oil pan.

Broke the clip nut for the IFS torque bracket while the front axle was going back in so I had to cut the bolt off with a sabresaw.
Replaced them with some metric 10.9 hardware. I'll pull the nut out eventually and weld a new tab on it using some 1/8" steel since it's so hard to get a wrench in there..problem for another day when I have my buzzbox handy.

I sanded, primed and painted the y pipe with high temp ceramic stuff then wrapped it so the temps stay out of the oil pan. Also prepped and lined the firewall/floor on the passenger side with some quality stick on insulation.

That looks like everything for now. I'm really looking forward to finally having this thing back on the street and tuning it.

Glad to hear you are making progress again.

Back