Removal of stock SPORT exhaust tips... pics? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removal of stock SPORT exhaust tips... pics?

2800seeker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport 401a Magnetic
I did a search but I cant find any.. Going to be doing the exhaust soon and I am considering the removal of the stock tips and doing a quad exhaust setup (like the 2018 sport). Does anyone have pics of what it looks like with the tips removed from the bumper? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are referring to the chrome piece in the bumper cutout, yes, it can be removed. I believe one of the members replaced it with a black one. If you are thinking of using those existing openings for a quad exhaust, better look again. I doubt that you can fit 2 pipes next to each other.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...rt-platinum-exhaust-tips.455588/#post-3587497
Perhaps this is what you're after; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...rt-platinum-exhaust-tips.455588/#post-3621094

Peter

Thank you for the links, that is close to what I am looking for... I WAS referring to the chrome trim piece. My main concern is if I remove it will it be a clean cut out or are there screw holes/mounting tabs visible from the back after the trim removal

IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6707.JPG
IMG_6708.JPG

Sorry for picture duplication, not sure how to delete photos with this new direct copy system

As you can see the trim rings have two side tabs and two top tabs all hidden from view. The two side tabs have TORX screws and the top tabs just need to be bent straight and they slide out. No holes visible from the rear of the vehicle.

Awesome. I plan on doing my exhaust soon and I will post pics. This is close to what I am planning... 2.5in x 4. obviously its all for looks. With a magnaflow polished offset 2.5 IN and dual 2.5 out. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f207/mxp-quad-tip-exhaust-forester-xt-lcrazyaznl-393201/ Less the burnt style tips etc

thanks again for the pics and information. This forum has been a huge help, reminds me of my svtperformance days and my cobras.. before kids and life caught up to me lol

It may be just me but it looks 'unfinished'.

Peter

I like it. The simple round exhaust works for me. the chrome outer piece was too much.

I'm actually looking into going the opposite direction. I don't like how the circular muffler tip shows inside the the bumper cutout/trim ring. I think its cheapens the look with being able to see the empty space around the muffler tip. I'm working on fabbing a black rubber boot to fit from the muffler tip to the rear of the trim ring.

I'm actually looking into going the opposite direction. I don't like how the circular muffler tip shows inside the the bumper cutout/trim ring. I think its cheapens the look with being able to see the empty space around the muffler tip. I'm working on fabbing a black rubber boot to fit from the muffler tip to the rear of the trim ring.

Ya, I kinda thought the same, my wife's 16 JeepGC Overland has similar exhaust trimmed out flush with rear facia but there is no gap between the end of the tailpipe and trim its all one black piece. Does look much better.

I'm not as adventurous as you I thought by making it all black it would kind of camouflage the gap between the two.

Ya, I kinda thought the same, my wife's 16 JeepGC Overland has similar exhaust trimmed out flush with rear facia but there is no gap between the end of the tailpipe and trim its all one black piece. Does look much better.

I'm not as adventurous as you I thought by making it all black it would kind of camouflage the gap between the two.
I just googled some pictures of that jeep. Definitely looks better.

I see ford painted the muffler black to hide it.. While it does look better, its still not great. I'll post some pictures next week of what I come up with.

Be careful with the exhaust tip on the sports (not the chrome surround) -- it's unfinished metal. Cut the **** out of my hand cleaning inside the chrome surround.

Back