Oil catch can / who has installed it and how much oil becomes "catched" ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil catch can / who has installed it and how much oil becomes "catched" ?

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Oil catch can / who has installed it and how many oil becomes "catched" ?

Many videos at YouTube and endless discussions / but what effect I can await ? When I dismount the tube (see video) I can`t find oil...

What type can be recommended ? Found this (JLT) and f.ex. RX speed works...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

During normal driving it is very hard to catch any oil. I honestly dont think its necessary to have an SUV unless you are pushing SUV to limit. But its good to have in turbocharger vehicle.

Catch can is just catch can. 50 bucks Ebay catch can will works same as 100 bucks catch can. Its up to you if you like to have super nice ones or decent quality ones.

I installed the complete McNally / RXP catch can setup on my '16 ExSport. I mounted the can on the frame rail in the drivers side wheel well area below / behind the air filter box. To drain it I access it from underneath where there's an opening in the lower valance panel, quick & easy. I did a write up with pictures on another site.
I haven't drained it yet as I'm waiting on the 1,000 mile mark.. I've only put on about 300 miles on it. I don't drive this car very much.

On the other hand, I've had an oil catch can on my 5.4 supercharged F-150 for over 10 years now. And, in fact, I just drained it yesterday after being in use for several months. Caught maybe an once or two.
A catch can designed for this specific purpose does work... IMO.

I am driving my car daily in the city and offen about long distances on german highways / these highway routes are fast (mean 150 km/h = 95 mph) and long (2 x 500 km on a weekend) !
Plus: it is an ecoboost 3.5... 2 turbos !
2nd question: Catch can plus clean side installation ?

@207: 1 or 2 ounces / that`s not soo much !???

And this: my Ford has a crankshaft vent oil separator / found it at Fordparts.com 6A785...and the rep. manual (and my car) shows this:

crankcase vent.png

Is this part serviceable ? Is this a kind of an oil catch can ???

Can anyone explain me what`s the function of this "crankshaft vent oil separator" ?

I have a catch can on my C7 Corvette and it gets about an ounce of oil every one or two thousand miles, I don't drive it hard, they do work. It is normally aspirated not a turbo. It can't hurt on any direct injection engine to put one on, without the wash of gasoline on the valves they are bound to coke up. With the Ford I don't drive it hard and will likely get rid of it by the 5 yr mark so not so concerned about putting on a catch can.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/W...Do-Direct-Injection-Engines-Need-One_b_7.html

Can anyone explain me what`s the function of this "crankshaft vent oil separator" ?
As I understand it this type of crankcase vent oil separator is installed on many engines, including Ford motors like yours. It doesn't 'catch' the oil and save or hold it, instead it routes the oil fumes back to the crankcase. I saw this basic explanation: During normal operation the oil inside your engine will mix with air, but needs to be reclaimed and redirected back to oil pan while the air is separated and directed to the combustion chamber. The process of completing this task is achieved by use of a vent oil separator in conjunction with other ventilation parts inside and surrounding the motor.

Many Ford engines have them, the one on your Explorer is Part # 6A785, see this: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=/0KUVP34xKtyPIP32LCRtw==&id=430060894&m=2&search=true&year=2014&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Further, your Explorer engine has TSB 15-0086 about this part and what to check if it fails:
15-0086.pdf

Attachments

• 15-0086.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 686

@ExPlat, thanks ! But the air takes the same way from crankcase to the intake ? Only difference is that it doesn`t catch the oil but send it back to the crankcase ?

Working with the PCV valve, the crankcase vent oil separator removes the oil from the crankcase air (fumes) and routes the oil back to the crankcase, the cleaned air is sent to the combustion chamber to be burned. The crankcase vent oil separator should not hold any oil that needs to be emptied later.
That TSB (in my post above) explains that too much oil in the crankcase vent oil separator will clog it and cause it to fail, which then requires replacement of the crankcase vent oil separator and valve cover.

........ I honestly dont think its necessary to have an SUV unless you are pushing SUV to limit.
Is that really what you meant to say?;)

In fact, this crankcase vent oil separator works in the same direction/matter as the catch can to reduce the amount of oil that goes directly to the intake, but the oil goes here (PCV) directly back to the crankcase !??? Is this a kind of a problem solution from Ford ?

In fact, this crankcase vent oil separator works in the same direction/matter as the catch can to reduce the amount of oil that goes directly to the intake, but the oil goes here (PCV) directly back to the crankcase !??? Is this a kind of a problem solution from Ford ?
YES to the first part as has been mentioned and also as mentioned this system is used by many other manufacturers. It isn't necessarily a "problem solution" as much as it is the way manufacturers have designed it to work.

Peter

But, @peterk9, when it prevents that oil comes from crankcase to the intake, it`s the same principle than the catch cans work with...so I don`t "need" a catch can !?

The whole point of the catch can is to ensure oil does not get routed back into the air intake. People often find oil in the air intake routed thru the PVC valve, thus the catch can gives that oil a place to go.

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is designed to regulate and remove fumes from the engine crankcase, and to alleviate crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks or seal damage. It’s a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine.
During normal operation of an internal combustion engine, there’s a compressed air and fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber that is ignited and as a result, forces the piston down. A small amount of that ignited mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase. This leakage is often referred to as “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist.
Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.” The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

@XLT16: I understand now the difference !
2nd question was: what about the "clean side" ? Some of the catch cans has another part for the clean side...how do this works ?

Dirty side: when your intake is high vacuum (light throttle), it pulls from PCV thru catch can into intake.
When you are at low vacuum (or BOOST), there is no vacuum. So now we use the clean side.
Clean side: Pulls in front of turbo (think air filter side), as turbo is sucking air, THAT becomes you vacuum.

Therefore you are covered in part, medium, heavy, and full throttle positions.

p.s. My dual RX Catch Can installed 1 week, havnt emptied, or looked (yet).

This is about 1K miles on my RX catch can:
enhance.jpg

I have looked about adding a catch can to my new Explorer. Looking for how and way people mounted it with minimal and a non invasive mount.

Also to note, there was a comment about all catch cans working the same. Some of the cheap ebay catch cans are just a can with two openings almost right next to each other so the condensing and "surface area is minimal and not "directed". Catch cans like those from mishimoto or others cost more but have internals that provide additional surface area for oil condensing and "filtering" (baffling).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a LOT of research before getting a catch can for Explorer (after looking into it 3 years ago for my Ecoboost Mustang).
Google it, go on Youtube, and look up comparisons... IMOHO you get what you pay for.
I did the $300+ RX catch can, and based on the bottle of crap in photo above, I am content with my purchase.

Back