Hows your idle with A/C on & off?

Chef-j

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Hey guys,

We had some rain yesterday i noticed that my car had really really rough idle (Somehow i cant post vid). So i kept my eyes on rpms since yesterday, Idle actually smooth out later but there some times it isn't. Well its NOT bad now, just bumpy time to time. It just comes back and smooth out and back.

Only noticed that at stop "car in Parked". I did not see any leak. Filled new fuel. Car has only 700 miles on now. Only i can think of is fuel trim off or possibly leak that i cant find it? No code.

Anyone else having similar issue? Planning to drop it off at dealer some time next week, just like to know if this is maybe normal for Explorer Duratec engine.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My idle is the same. First thing that came to mind was a slipping belt from all the rain. Several have had that issue including myself. Not sure if that is your issue on a new vehicle.

My idle is the same. First thing that came to mind was a slipping belt from all the rain. Several have had that issue including myself. Not sure if that isnypur issue on a new vehicle.

Slipping belt? This makes me think maybe it can be. Because rough idle changed when A/C on & off. It was worst when A/C off. And it got steady when weather got dried.

Now its steady for mins and maybe bounce 100~200 rpms for second. I honestly not sure if it looks more bouncing because electronic Rpms gauge? Its my first car has electronic type gauge.

Thinking about it again, I'm not sure if a belt slipping would cause rpm issues. It causes lights to dim and u feel a jolt when it grabs again. When it slips, it causes the alternator to stop charging momentarily till it grabs again. You will also notice your wipers slow down when it is slipping.

If you are not experiencing those issues, then it isnt the belt.

With my vehicle in 'Park', switching the A/C ON/OFF results in no perceptible change in RPM.

Peter

No change to my RPM's either.

Yeah mine does this too. The RPM's will drop and rise on my ex. Sometimes the lights will even dim as the RPM drops for a second. Is that what you're describing?
I've noticed that if I give the engine a rev in p/n the issue goes away

Yeah mine does this too. The RPM's will drop and rise on my ex. Sometimes the lights will even dim as the RPM drops for a second. Is that what you're describing?
I've noticed that if I give the engine a rev in p/n the issue goes away

Yep! Just like that. Here is how mine did in couple days.

Day i noticed : boucing from 600 rpms to 800 or 900 rpms. It kept doing it. Yeah, almost shut off once. It made me think somehow i got super leak from intake area. ( i have a video but cant post)

Same day later after work: idle got steady and boucing it 600 rpms to maybe 700 rpms for few times and smooth out.

Now its pretty steady.

To be honest, im lost lol

Mine has a similar idle with the A/C on. It will dip down when the compressor engages and occasionally does not up the idle right away. It's never died, and doesn't do It often

Back