What's it like driving an PIU for daily driver? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's it like driving an PIU for daily driver?

still quite a few people that are oblivious (because no markings or lights) and still do the same stupid stuff they always do like tailgate and cut people off as they race from light to light.

Yeah, sounds like our experiences are very similar.

Here's a couple examples of the people who don't drive any differently
(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the link to the dash cam: (dead link)

It's decent but sometimes difficult to see a plate - especially at night. Here's a night video: (dead link)

Then there are old police vehicles that are no longer in service ... that can't be any closer to LOOKING like one but aren't.
Saw this one yesterday, ironically got on the FWY almost right behind and unmarked AZ DPS Tahoe
20170503_154339-M.jpg

I drive a 15' Tri-Patinum White Sport with all the badges and accents blacked out... (because I absolutely hate chrome on a vehicle and anything else but tools.) Yes, I've noticed traffic change around me a lot; and it got old fast, really fast. People doing 75mph would drop to 60mph in 2 second in front of me all the time because our local police drive Explorer PIU's in white, black, and silver. I've recently tried to make mine look less like a police vehicle. So I've added a few rear window decals and changed the badges to red lettered Ford on Black oval backgrounds. Since UGA is my alma mater it suits me and it looks really good. I in no way want to drive anything that looks like a police vehicle for the aforementioned reasons and the fact criminals will break in them looking for guns, cuffs, electronics, etc... YMMV. But I do love the beautiful Tri-Platinum on black accents/wheels/ground effects and trim. To me it looks like a sport suv should, no chrome anything!

In my 2015 PIU Ecoboost, I've noticed few people doing anything other than blowing past me. Mine is all white with the lighting package still installed. I think there are just so many Explorers out here in CA that most people just tune them out unless they are fully marked.

As a daily driver, it's a great vehicle to drive. I have no complaints. Quiet, compliant and my only complaint was the terrible gas mileage. After I tuned it with Livernois, I'm seeing over a 2 MPG averaged improvement for my normal commute. The stock police tune certainly doesn't cater to MPG. On the highway, I'm seeing nearly a 4 MPG improvement at 75 MPH. Crazy.

In my 2015 PIU Ecoboost, I've noticed few people doing anything other than blowing past me. Mine is all white with the lighting package still installed. I think there are just so many Explorers out here in CA that most people just tune them out unless they are fully marked.

As a daily driver, it's a great vehicle to drive. I have no complaints. Quiet, compliant and my only complaint was the terrible gas mileage. After I tuned it with Livernois, I'm seeing over a 2 MPG averaged improvement for my normal commute. The stock police tune certainly doesn't cater to MPG. On the highway, I'm seeing nearly a 4 MPG improvement at 75 MPH. Crazy.

Yes unfortunately the PIU tune is the opposite of retail tune, out of the hole performance over MPG. It holds longer in the lower gear and it drops to a lower gear much earlier. Thats what the Police Advisory Board told the engineers to do.

Yes unfortunately the PIU tune is the opposite of retail tune, out of the hole performance over MPG. It holds longer in the lower gear and it drops to a lower gear much earlier. Thats what the Police Advisory Board told the engineers to do.

I honestly don't notice much difference, but the drivability is better with the new tune than it was with the stock PIU tune. The pursuit mode still works, so if you hammer on it a bit, it will go into the alternate shift schedule, holding gears and downshifting early.

What tune are you running? How much was it? I'm considering tune for mine, but not sure if it's worth it for the 3.7L NA engine. Not sure if there's 4 MPG for me to gain as I already get at or better than combined average fuel economy on sticker.

I've only had mine a week or so, so this is really more of a first-impressions report. Since mine is about as unmarked as it gets (kodiak brown, no spotlights, full wheel covers and tail badge delete), I haven't noticed people driving any differently around me. As far as the truck itself, I am pleasantly surprised by how very roomy it feels inside. In fact, it feels more like an Expedition as far as interior space goes, at least in elbow room and the like (and I'm not a small guy). The seats are not plush, but comfortable. The interior upgrade package console is very handy, but with it came a rather unexpected issue: the cupholders are actually too big. Anything smaller than a Big Gulp is kinda loose. Not a huge problem since the cupholders are also very deep, just kinda annoying. On the other hand, the fuel tank is too small. I get 21 mpg on the freeway (by the very skin of my teeth), which translates to only about 320 miles range, which isn't great. A 20 or so gallon tank would have been nicer, especially on the drive home from Wisconsin to Florida. The ride is not the smoothest, definitely feel the bumps. Handling is decent on the RS-As, but it's nobody's Miata. Steering is a little loose, at least feels that way to me. The 3.7 seems plenty adequate, the truck gets out of its own way fine. Very impressed with the BLIS feature. Came in handy a few times already. Brakes are amazing. The thing just stops NOW. SYNC works well, XM radio would be nice but alas...

Will post more later, I suppose...

I've recently got rear ended in my 2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor... it was sadly totaled. It only had 96K Miles with a rebuilt trans that had less than 10k miles on it so the insurance gave me a generous amount of money for it. I'm also a stingy person haha so I've had a decent amount saved up so with that being said I believe this is my opportunity to finally own an FPIU. After driving a Police Packaged vehicle for over a year I can never drive a "regular" vehicle ever again. I'd like to know what's it like driving it every day any different from a civilian models and a do people treat you "differently" when you're out on the road? I have a cousin with a black 2013 Sport and he tells me people drive the speed limit sometimes when he's behind them and he's seen people drop their phones when he gets on the side of him so I wondered if this effect is amped up for an actual FPIU. Just curiosity really about that topic. I'm looking at a 2014 FPIU with 97K miles hopefully I can get my hands on it within the week.

still love her.jpg

^^Nice, I like that Dennis but unfortunately the OP hasn't been seen here since April 16, 2017.

Peter

I like that one, too.
I bought mine because honestly, where else am I going to get a 2018 SUV with AWD for 11 grand?
And I lothe floor shifters. Absolutely lothe.
My PIU is so far the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Working at Ford dealerships for many years has let me know the Police Interceptor
and the men who drive them, some of those men are sharp as a knife but some are not.
My Father was US ARMY military police and rode a Harley Davidson around Fort Bragg
his son enlisted in the US Marine Corps for service in the air wing.
Military and Law run deep in my family all the way back to the revolution.
So now I'm driving a white explorer cop car with moon caps and spotlight.
Praise God that I can park in my garage at home away from eyes of evil people.
Pittsburgh recently had 4 units torched while parked, I worry about getting shot.
First thing after buying it was to contact the local police department to let them know.
The Lt. informed me of state laws regarding the use and covering of spotlights on the roads.
My '17 PIU was a lease to University of Pitt for a detective, 9000 hours 6000 at idle, 57K miles.
Runs like a raped ape

Interesting I figured anyone with a black explorer is enough to get people to be cautious around you. They probably do check if you're a cop and then continue driving like A ******. This explorer that I'm looking at only has a spotlight but I'm not getting rid of it since I need it to do my parking lot rounds for work to check inside people's car headlights don't reach high enough in most cases (I'm a security officer and the PL don't have lights...) The Crown Vic always got the effect just because it was a cop car for almost 20 years straight but I figured that the explorers are still new to the point where people would not noticed me in traffic.
Seems the police departments are adopting these Explorers all over! I notice them in my town. Sorry your Crown Vic got taken out, loved the '82 I had, bulletproof against any thing but rust! I'm betting people will let you pass for sure. Edit: now I realize I'm replying on a very old topic - got to admit it's an interesting one though.

Seems the police departments are adopting these Explorers all over! I notice them in my town. Sorry your Crown Vic got taken out, loved the '82 I had, bulletproof against any thing but rust! I'm betting people will let you pass for sure. Edit: now I realize I'm replying on a very old topic - got to admit it's an interesting one though.
Yes, it is an older thread, and still relevant, but the member you quoted was last seen here on April 16, 2017.:)

Peter

Working at Ford dealerships for many years has let me know the Police Interceptor
and the men who drive them, some of those men are sharp as a knife but some are not.
My Father was US ARMY military police and rode a Harley Davidson around Fort Bragg
his son enlisted in the US Marine Corps for service in the air wing.
Military and Law run deep in my family all the way back to the revolution.
So now I'm driving a white explorer cop car with moon caps and spotlight.
Praise God that I can park in my garage at home away from eyes of evil people.
Pittsburgh recently had 4 units torched while parked, I worry about getting shot.
First thing after buying it was to contact the local police department to let them know.
The Lt. informed me of state laws regarding the use and covering of spotlights on the roads.
My '17 PIU was a lease to University of Pitt for a detective, 9000 hours 6000 at idle, 57K miles.
Runs like a raped ape
A past summer morning driving on a wide open highway with very little traffic obeying the 45mph speed limit decided to let her rip, to distance myself from the pack that was formed at the previous stop light, doing 80 in a 45 when I saw the state trooper raise his radar gun.

A past summer morning driving on a wide open highway with very little traffic obeying the 45mph speed limit decided to let her rip, to distance myself from the pack that was formed at the previous stop light, doing 80 in a 45 when I saw the state trooper raise his radar gun.
Oops!

Well, it's been almost a year since I purchased this PIU and I still haven't finished rewiring it BUT I have removed all the red and blue lights and the wig-wag system that was still attached.
I purchased 5 Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. Yes, I know they are expensive but I think they will be well worth while. When I sell the other 5 tires it will bring down the price I paid for these a little bit.
As far as get up and go with this car it is really great when I need it. The gas mileage is awesome and I can't complain at an average of 20MPG. This is the first vehicle with this good mileage we have owned.
As far as comfort goes, yes, the tires are a little hard and the suspension is like my F150 so I don't mind it. The little things (bugs) I had to learn and get used to has been easy to deal with.
I was in EMS for many years and driving an emergency vehicle through traffic is something I am glad I really don't have to do any more. However, I am still a first responder and if I do see something I do stop and help before the professionals come.
I have the same problem as many of you do with traffic. Nothing in front of me and stacked up in back of me because I am old and do the speed limit UNLESS I am in a hurry to get somewhere then it's the guy who thinks he needs to go 2 MPH under the speed limit because he thinks I'm a LEO. I look at it this way I am helping to save lives and prevent people from getting tickets.
The PIU came with twin spotlights, Setina and I have ham & other radios being mounted in my vehicle like I always have had before. I get a lot of looks along with police departments and citizens that say hello. Never had a bad experience and we both feel more protected in this vehicle the way it is built and the extra protection with the 75 mph rear crash protection, the ballistic panels on both doors and stab protection on the front seats from the grandkids! LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back