• Register Today It's free!

Key Pad Hack

champco

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Had my 2013 Ex rifled thru on Friday night. Clearly on my video camera the perp is using the keypad to gain entry. How is this possible???
Is there some sort of hack out there??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your camera record to the side as well? Wide angle? I'm surprised they didn't take the camera. I'm not aware of any "hack" for the Securicode but wouldn't be totally surprised if there was. The pad only allows a set number of incorrect inputs (7) before it locks up for a minute. I doubt anyone trying to break into a vehicle would just sit around waiting for the next opportunity.
Anti-Scan Feature
The keypad will go into an anti-scan mode if you enter the wrong code
seven times (35 consecutive button presses). This mode disables the
keypad for one minute and the keypad lamp will flash.
The anti-scan feature will turn off after:
• one minute of keypad inactivity
• pressing the unlock button on the remote control
• switching the ignition on
• unlocking the vehicle using intelligent access.

Peter

Someone was watching you enter your code.

There are no known vulnerabilities that I'm aware of for the keypad. I would be more afraid of someone using a repeater on an IA key fob signal.

Does your camera record to the side as well? Wide angle?

It is a home security camera. it caught the thief at night with the infrared. Clearly he opens the door with it and again uses it again on exit for some reason. Another question is can the on board detect the pad being used?? Numbers pressed?

It took him seconds to gain entry. He had the code or "A" code. if this web site were like most other web sites I could post a picture.

This happened in my area. There was a crappy dealership that programmed one code into all of them for ease of entry on the lot. They were sloppy and didn't erase them when sold.

Sorry to hear this, Champco! Us Minnesotan's need to find the a$$hole and get him arrested.

I have never used it. No one does. His prints will be mine in the morning. Do we have a rouge Dealership employee?
Since you've never used it you likely don't know what the actual code might be. Try using the code that came with the vehicle and if it doesn't work then it was changed at some point. If that is the case, it is probably wise to change it. Perhaps what Mbrooks420 mentioned is more prevalent than what we may think. Although I've never used the code to lock/unlock my vehicles, I've always tried it after picking the vehicles up to ensure the code works.

Peter

Since you've never used it you likely don't know what the actual code might be. Try using the code that came with the vehicle and if it doesn't work then it was changed at some point. If that is the case, it is probably wise to change it. Perhaps what Mbrooks420 mentioned is more prevalent than what we may think. Although I've never used the code to lock/unlock my vehicles, I've always tried it after picking the vehicles up to ensure the code works.

Peter
The master code can't be erased, however any other codes that have been entered you can erase. You can set at least 1 per seat memory position if I remember correctly. The correct course of action would be to follow the procedure to erase all codes and start over using the permanent factory code.

The master code can't be erased,......
Yes, I'm aware of that. Just trying to get the member to try it to see if the code was changed in which case the OEM one won't work. I believe to change codes the OEM one must be used in the procedure.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Just trying to get the member to try it to see if the code was changed in which case the OEM one won't work. I believe to change codes the OEM one must be used in the procedure.
The OEM code will always work. Setting a personal code does not disable the OEM code. It will always unlock the car, however it can't be associated with a seat memory position. The owners manual states you can set up to 5 personal codes. You cannot selectively erase a personal code, but you can erase all of them.

The OEM code will always work. Setting a personal code does not disable the OEM code. It will always unlock the car, however it can't be associated with a seat memory position. The owners manual states you can set up to 5 personal codes. You cannot selectively erase a personal code, but you can erase all of them.
I just reread that part of the Manual and you are correct in that the factory code will always work even if a personal code has been programmed. So in the OP's case if the "intruder" knows the factory code there's nothing he can do short of disabling the keypad. In my opinion that isn't very secure. It means that once someone has your code there is nothing you can do to prevent entry. BTW, the 2013 Manual says you can add up to 3, not 5 additional 5 digit codes.

Peter

This happened in my area. There was a crappy dealership that programmed one code into all of them for ease of entry on the lot. They were sloppy and didn't erase them when sold.

Can you point me to where you can check whether another code is programmed or not?

Doesn't hurt to verify to make sure this isn't the case with any Explorer.

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter
When I bought the truck a bout 3 years ago I took the time to get the code from the dealer. I also added my own code to the memory so to say never is not absolute here. But I never use it. Point still being the thief did use it and did gain entry thru it. I have it on video. I was able to stitch a photo. So how? Is the question.

Sorry to hear this, Champco! Us Minnesotan's need to find the a$$hole and get him arrested.
I have been in communications with a County Deputy who is checking with crime unit to hopefully get prints.

Anyone who has been burgled and wonders if they left their vehicle unlocked should have interest in this.

Can you point me to where you can check whether another code is programmed or not?

Doesn't hurt to verify to make sure this isn't the case with any Explorer.

Thanks.

Your manual allows you to add numbers if you have the factory added number. I do not know of any way to see all the numbers. Good question. Also can it be disabled??

The master code can't be erased, however any other codes that have been entered you can erase. You can set at least 1 per seat memory position if I remember correctly. The correct course of action would be to follow the procedure to erase all codes and start over using the permanent factory code.
You use the term Master code, which gets me to thinking of the old days where there were GM Master keys to all the cars.
For years the phone companies used special code the public knew nothing about. Still do to some extent.
It would not surprise me to find out there are common Master codes built into all Fords which kept secret by Ford. Would not surprise me at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your manual allows you to add numbers if you have the factory added number. I do not know of any way to see all the numbers. Good question. Also can it be disabled??
I checked the 2013 Manual the other day and didn't see a specific fuse for just the pad. Did see one for 'keypad illumination' but it also incorporate other features. Unless someone else knows 'how to' the only thing I can think of is to do disconnect a wire from.to it.:dunno:

Peter

Back