• Register Today It's free!

Aiming Headlights

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Can anyone tell me where are the vertical and horizontal adjustors on the LED lamps on a 2016 or 2017 Sport or Platinum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Horizontal adjustment is possible.

Absolutely. Not in the manual, can anyone tell me which direction if the screw to raise and lower?

Absolutely. Not in the manual, can anyone tell me which direction if the screw to raise and lower?
Park in front of a wall or garage door and turn the adjuster and you should be able to see if the light pattern moves up or down. My guess is that clockwise will move it up but it's just a guess.:) The lights should be adjusted correctly coming from the factory. I only recall a couple posts on adjustments after the fact.

Peter

Any updates on this? Is the low beam adjuster the one closest to the top? Does clockwise raise the beam?

Are you saying yours are not adjusted properly right out of the factory?

Peter

I want to raise them just a bit.

But to address your comment, I've never had a Ford come out of the factory with properly adjusted headlights in the past 30 years. The worst was my 2000 Crown Vic with the 9007s aimed directly in front of the vehicle straight from the factory.

I want to raise them just a bit.

But to address your comment, I've never had a Ford come out of the factory with properly adjusted headlights in the past 30 years. The worst was my 2000 Crown Vic with the 9007s aimed directly in front of the vehicle straight from the factory.
Okay the, I guess post #6 is all there is to go by since no one has actually answered. Have you read page 295 of the Manual?

Peter

The manual pointed to 1 adjuster which I think is for the high beams. It didn't explain which was which, nor did it say which direction to turn.

The manual pointed to 1 adjuster which I think is for the high beams. It didn't explain which was which, nor did it say which direction to turn.
It says to turn on the low beams and make the adjustment. When turning the adjuster you should be able to see if the light moves up or down.

Peter

I don't think the low beams are adjustable. There's only 1 adjuster on my 2018's LED low/halogen high assembly. This is the same adjuster Ford has been using on the Taurus.

I made a few turns on one beam and it didn't shift the low beam at all. The adjuster is right by the high beam which makes me suspect it is for the high beam only.

The Manual states to turn on the low beams to make the adjustment. It is likely that turning the adjuster will raise or lower both high and low beams equally since both are contained in a single unit.

Peter

So I had to grab my better screwdriver from home. I recommend a good quality 6" length #2 Philips (I'm using a Craftsman). This is the same one I used for my SHO.
Counter-clockwise is to raise the low beams and clockwise is to lower the beams. The adjustments are so minor that I couldn't see them at first and I wasn't using the right screw driver.

Back