Explorer Imported Into Germany Needs Rear Fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Imported Into Germany Needs Rear Fog lights

Southerncross39

Reaction score
City, State
Munich, Bavaria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Does anyone have an idea how to get the front fog light circuit to the rear to power rear fog lights?
I imported my 2016 to Germany last week and after the inspection I was informed that I need to have rear fog light (red). I'm going to purchase some after market LED lights to replace the rear reflectors on the bumper. I'm looking at options to connect them to the electrical system. They need to be controlled by the fog lights switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is it the law that they must be connected to the vehicle's fog light switch? A standalone switch won't do? We have members here from Germany so maybe they can jump in and help out. I'm guessing it would just require running a wire to the existing switch. If you use the reflectors for this, is that opening up another issue about having to have rear reflectors?

Peter

There would be one red fog lamp and one red reflector. (at least this is how most European vehicles are set up.)

Thanks for the welcome and replies. My reading of the regulations (UN Reg. 48) read one light on the driver side or in the center. I'm trying to figure out if there is something in the wiring harness that goes to back of the explorer that either carries the front fog light circuit (unlikely :( ), an open circuit that I can use. If that is not the case then I see two options either plumb a wire through the car that is spliced off the forward fog lights or install a module that hooks into the canbus and drives a relay with a new circuit for the rear lights. Is there another that I'm missing?
I have fair amount background on canbus protocols and building modules.

I have an extra fog light switch under the dashboard at the left side...it is illuminated...but I have to check which light is on / have no extra light mounted !
Will check it tomorrow...

Just for info, some European vehicles have a single rear reverse light & the other side would be a fog light. So, in theory, you could use a red bulb on the left reverse light & wire it to the fog light switch. Not sure if the law requires the lens to also be red or not.

attachment.jpg

m3mpVXh2kEvqS_Sf3uNG4SfM0J0lkQBNdTNI=w1297-h865-no.jpg

Germany: As a rear fog light has my car a dimmed left backup light, but when I go to reverse than both lights comes on with full power...and all of this is connectet to the front fog lights / it means the front fog lamps must be on before I can push the button for the rear fog light...

Thanks all this confirms the lighting requirement. I'm still wondering how best to accomplish the wiring to power the rear fog light? I'm going to open up the car this week and start looking for circuit options.

I would just run a single 16 gauge wire tucked under the plastic sill that covers the carpet and use the body as ground. Should take about 20 min to run the wire to the rear bumper. Maybe splice it in directly to the secondary wiring to the front fogs or a switch on the dash:dunno:

In my book with wiring diagrams there is a diagram for export cars with rear fog lights.
Anybody has a picture from such OEM fog light assy?
Has any german member a picture of his rear fog light solution?
The rear fog light module should be behind the rear left hand cover mounted. I have to check if it´s still present

Does anyone have an idea how to get the front fog light circuit to the rear to power rear fog lights?
I imported my 2016 to Germany last week and after the inspection I was informed that I need to have rear fog light (red). I'm going to purchase some after market LED lights to replace the rear reflectors on the bumper. I'm looking at options to connect them to the electrical system. They need to be controlled by the fog lights switch.

I need to add the same lights to my 2013 Explorer for German registration. Did you find a solution using existing wiring or did you have to run a new set of wires?
Thank you,

I need to add the same lights to my 2013 Explorer for German registration. Did you find a solution using existing wiring or did you have to run a new set of wires?
Thank you,
FYI, the member you quoted was last heard from Oct. 17th, 2017.

Peter

FYI, the member you quoted was last heard from Oct. 17th, 2017.

Peter
Hi, i have the same issue. 2019 Explorer. Rear fog light installation required. I will use the left backup light with a red bulb. Install an additional wire from the dashboard to the rear. However, I do not know if a separate switch is sufficint or if it has to be combined with the front fog light switch.

Hi, i have the same issue. 2019 Explorer. Rear fog light installation required. I will use the left backup light with a red bulb. Install an additional wire from the dashboard to the rear. However, I do not know if a separate switch is sufficint or if it has to be combined with the front fog light switch.
There are also LED replacements for the rear bumper reflectors in the internet. These may be also a solution. Does anyone know if the reflectors of the 16/17 models fit the 18/19 as well (OEM of the 18/19 is FB5Z 15A449 A and B). Parts catalog says it fits both, but i am not sure.

I don't know about Germany but in the U.S. rear reflectors are required by law.
Since the OP posted more than 2.5 years ago, I'm guessing he has it figured out by now. ;)

Peter

maybe power a relay from one of the front fog light hot feeds, the draw should be minimal, then power your rear foglight, it will switch on within milliseconds of the fronts, does this sound like it will work?

maybe power a relay from one of the front fog light hot feeds, the draw should be minimal, then power your rear foglight, it will switch on within milliseconds of the fronts, does this sound like it will work?
Just an FYI. The member jayd1970 hasn't been seen here since Feb. 22, 2019 and the thread starter Southerncross39, Oct. 17, 2017.

Peter

Just an FYI. The member jayd1970 hasn't been seen here since Feb. 22, 2019 and the thread starter Southerncross39, Oct. 17, 2017.

Peter
Understood, just offering a possible solution for others who may be searching topics of interest...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 XLT was imported from the US into Finland as diplomat car, probably from some southern state, as there was no block heater. Rear fog light is required in the whole EU area for years now. And even still that there are certain excemptions on CD car's requirements, fog light is not one of those. Mine has separate after market rear fog lamp, fixed at the down side of the rear bumber. There's separate switch installed on the panel below steering column and separate wiring from battery (with fuse) to switch and further to fog lamp. Wire seems to be 1.5 sq mm, that is between 14 and 16 AWG.

According to Ford manuals (Explorer MY 2016-2017), there's rear fog lamp (LED) is included on all rear lamp assemblies, but whether it functions or not depends on the combined interior/headlamp switch used (and maybe BCM progamming). If one uses switch that has rear fog lamp, one seems to lose separate button for controlling interior lights.

Back