Key Pad Hack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Pad Hack

remove a fuse if there is one , unhook keypad etc . or replace the keyless module? I think this is what has the code, not sure
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-MODULE-2011-2013-FORD-EXPLORER-BB5Z-19G481-H-/232211077009?fits=Year:2011|Make:Ford|Model:Explorer&hash=item3610dbd791:g:eek:agAAOSw4DJYgMnE&vxp=mtr

On the older ones you could open them up and resolder the resistors to whatever code you want and maybe make a label and place it on the vehicle, I would take a picture of it before I would change anything around, assuming they still use resistors. I've never opened the newer ones or know if the module needs to be reprogrammed if replaced:dunno:. Did you buy it used, any reason someone else has the code besides the dealership?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I very much doubt there is a master code that works on all fords. It'd be a security nightmare, and there's no need.

Did you buy this truck brand new?

Can you see if it looks like he was looking at a piece of paper?
There are 3125 total different permutations, and with the factory hard coded number and your personal number, two opportunities to hit one of those numbers if you go down a list.

Can you see if it looks like he was looking at a piece of paper?
There are 3125 total different permutations, and with the factory hard coded number and your personal number, two opportunities to hit one of those numbers if you go down a list.

No sir the thief had no paper. He knew what he was doing. In and out about 4 minutes. This is grainy infrared lit video. When I let it run I can see his hand above the lock for a instant so I looked at the rubber for seal for signs of a slim-jim having scratched the rubber and see nothing.
I could not get a good pic of his entry as it was dark but could see his hand above the door handle.
Upon exit however with the mirror lights still on and I can see him plainly using the keypad. I for the life of me cannot figure why he would do that on exit. Any ideas from the peanut gallery are welcome.

I very much doubt there is a master code that works on all fords. It'd be a security nightmare, and there's no need.

Did you buy this truck brand new?

Yes it would be a nightmare but that does mean anything. Used truck.

Yes, it does mean something. They can cut a key by the VIN, and pull the code with a scanner. Master codes are antiquated, and unneeded. It's much more likely it was someone who previously knew the code, or your dealer has codes it uses. I highly doubt it was any sort of hack.

sounds like someone has the code and relocked it when they left, no special secret code here.

Insurance might cover recoding the vehicle, locks etc

Is the original code card still in the owners manual in the glove box? Have you taken your vehicle to any service place or handed it over to someone for any time period? Maybe that place that had it took the code.

As for replacing the keypad, as far as i know, recent Fords have the code stored in the BCM, so replacing the keypad will NOT change the code.

I for the life of me cannot figure why he would do that on exit. Any ideas from the peanut gallery are welcome.
Hitting the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons simultaneously on the ford keyless pad locks the car. He was just trying to cover his tracks.

According to my brother (criminal defence attorney, so this comes from his customers...) they are usually looking for garage door remotes when they rifle through cars like this. I'd strongly recommend locking the garage door (unplug the opener) if yours is missing.

Hitting the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons simultaneously on the ford keyless pad locks the car. He was just trying to cover his tracks.

According to my brother (criminal defence attorney, so this comes from his customers...) they are usually looking for garage door remotes when they rifle through cars like this. I'd strongly recommend locking the garage door (unplug the opener) if yours is missing.
They'd have to take the whole driver's side visor since that is where the opener is built in.;)

Peter

I'm sure lots of people don't use the built in opener.

If you never use the keypad pull fuse 21 under the dash as this will disable the keypad:

fuse.JPG

If you never use the keypad pull fuse 21 under the dash as this will disable the keypad:
So it is. Not sure how I missed that as I do remember checking out #18.:dunno:

Peter

So it is. Not sure how I missed that as I do remember checking out #18.:dunno:

Peter

Because 18 is just the illumination fuse for the keypad. It won't light up but should still work. 18 would kill a bunch of other features but 21 is only for the keypad so pulling it won't have any effect on anything else.

When looking for which fuse I don't use the manual as the descriptions are kind of lackluster. I use the actual wiring diagrams which lets me know exactly what it's powering.

Because 18 is just the illumination fuse for the keypad. It won't light up but should still work. 18 would kill a bunch of other features but 21 is only for the keypad so pulling it won't have any effect on anything else.

That's what I mentioned in post #20 about fuse 18. I guess I missed the very bottom one which is fuse #21. :)

Thank you for this good information. I would not keep a GDO in the truck for that very reason but I will relay the concept to the deputy for good measure. Had not thought of that!!

Thank you for this good information. I would not keep a GDO in the truck for that very reason but I will relay the concept to the deputy for good measure. Had not thought of that!!
Yea, he brought that up when our cars got rifled through... I was mostly baffled, as they took the GPS unit and a bag of gift cards and $30 cash out of the center console and just left them on the seat. Aside from the car smelling like weed for a day, there wasn't anything stolen.
They'd have to take the whole driver's side visor since that is where the opener is built in.;)

Peter
Look at you with your fancy homelink visor...lol

I'm wondering if the idiot is stupid enough to do it again. If it was me I would rig up a camera that activates when the buttons are pressed to take a picture using the existing keypad wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

Pete. A lot of Explorers were not equipped with GDO. Mine was not. i do have openers I could keep in the EX but for this very reason I do not. I just get out and use the one mounted on the remote.

Back