It's Friday the 13th!

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
That's probably why my Ex wouldn't start this morning. Started yesterday coming home from work - but the air bag light stayed on. I've learned over the years that odd lights on the dash usually mean a battery problem and sure enough - when I went out this morning it wouldn't even engage the starter.
Here's the kicker - it was a DieHard gold that I bought in late October of 2015. It has a 3 year full replacement warranty - but months ago our Sears Auto Center closed down and they no longer sell batteries or carry any stock in the store. I already knew this from another experience a few weeks ago so I ended up at Sam's club this morning buying a battery to replace one that was under full warranty.
Hoping the balance of the day goes better :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I or my son vehicles need a battery. I buy the Walmart EVERSTART one. Price is quite reasonable and has a goof proof warranty IMO>
- 5 Year Warranty program with 3 years free replacement

You know they're not going out of business and its honoured at any location. As long as they have your type in stock. Otherwise you wait a bit or try a different location as I had to do with one for my wifes card.

Year Sears Canada just announced they've received the go ahead to liquidate their remaining 130 stores now. I doubt parts will be a problem for many items made for them like Kenmore or Craftsman branded items. Anyway its been a long slide hear for them.

I second everstart. Just threw one in my boat after Costco was out of stock on replacement. Costco is ballpark on their warranty. Friday the 13th eh, that means its time to go to Mosaic stadium and watch my Riders clean house with the Red Blacks!

Now that I think about it, Sams Club is owned by Walmart, they probably sell the same batteries with the same warranty don't they?

The Sam's battery was a Duracell. I bet if I cut it open it's full of D cells!
Honestly, it's probably made by the same people that make the Everstart and most of the other rebadged batteries out there. This one has a 3 year full replacement warranty also. Price was $105 - I'm sure I paid in the 160 to 180 range for the DieHard.
I knew I could eventually warranty the DieHard somewhere but I wasn't in the mood this morning to turn it into a journey. It's obvious at this point in the Sear's saga that the cord has to be cut at some point. Might as well be now.
Sears has spoiled me on warranties with tools and other things. A warranty doesn't mean much if you have to wait days or weeks to get a replacement. I will be sad to see Sears go - it will require an adjustment on my part - and it started today. The adjustment on tools started a few years ago.

i have an autozone agm and love it....over on the steve meade forums there is a guy that deals batterys and says never buy the wallmart neverstart the side brand that makes them is a joke.... diehards are really dekas or northstars cant remember which but they both make great batterys but side note I woke up saying friday the 13th most lucky day of the year.... work was going bad looking like a 10 hour Friday for sure and at 10pm fire alarm went off and we all had to exit building..... fire truck left and didnt smell any fire or see smoke but they said production will not resume, punch out and go home! lucky 13 strikes again!

LOL Well the Autozone guy probably used to sell swamp land in Florida decades ago. Buy his battery (which he really wants you to do). With a 3 year replacement and pro rated after that to 5 years. Walnart would no tolerate a big return rate of failing batteries with that warranty. Getting 3 full years of a replacement is what I am buying into and its no big deal to swap the battery.

If they can match that warranty at least (likely not) go for it. If not ask yourself why they aren't if they're so much better. They don't exist here in Canada so its not a choice.

LOL Well the Autozone guy probably used to sell swamp land in Florida decades ago. Buy his battery (which he really wants you to do). With a 3 year replacement and pro rated after that to 5 years. Walnart would no tolerate a big return rate of failing batteries with that warranty. Getting 3 full years of a replacement is what I am buying into and its no big deal to swap the battery.

If they can match that warranty at least (likely not) go for it. If not ask yourself why they aren't if they're so much better. They don't exist here in Canada so its not a choice.
had autozone in two of my cars never had a problem both outlasted the warrenty period. if they don't have them in wonderful Canada then why are you slaming them?

Not slamming them or anyone just the sales guy who is likely not a tech or mechanic to know. I doubt one plant supplies all the Walmart batteries. For a lot of us Warranty is key to a buying decision. At least for me. Any shop slandering another source has poor business ethics and just not done. If their batteries a so much better then outline engineering specific on the construction used. Not a blanket statement as it seem was made against EverStart batteries.

Not slamming them or anyone just the sales guy who is likely not a tech or mechanic to know. I doubt one plant supplies all the Walmart batteries. For a lot of us Warranty is key to a buying decision. At least for me. Any shop slandering another source has poor business ethics and just not done. If their batteries a so much better then outline engineering specific on the construction used. Not a blanket statement as it seem was made against EverStart batteries.
why do you even care if autozone is not in Canada? you are starting to sound like a shill for walmart. before you come back with more stupidity I do shop at walmart

If all batteries are backed by a similar warranty and have a zero hassle return policy if they fail before the warranty period is over, then whats the big deal? Go with the cheapest price with the best backed warranty. To me that has always been Walmart branded batteries and I've never once had one leave me stranded that I bought new... yet *knock on wood*. Usually when I buy a used vehicle, I have to replace the battery once at some point (I've had batteries from all brands die), drive the vehicle 5-10 years later and sell it with the 1 battery purchase. I think the biggest key is finding a battery with a fresh production date and not one that's been sitting around for a while.

Here is a great website for finding out who makes each brand of lead acid battery.
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Looking under letter J you will find johnson controls inc go and look at how many names they make batteries for.

that's one great page of info but if the battery fails inside of warranty and you get a new one all is great subtract the quick unseen failure that leaves you stranded or missing work but when you get the issue I always have that is failure just outside coverage, the guy I mentioned didnt recommend autozone brand either and the people on that forum of coarse swear by XS Power " Systematic Power Solutions" on that chart since its a battery created for heavy duty car audio use..... side note I did an experiment with everstart marine deep cycles on a golf cart where I converted it from 6x 6vdc's to 3x 12vdc and we returned the everstarts after 3 cycles because half the cells were reading less than 50% and wally gave us no issues on a full refund after 1 week of use....... moral is run what you have luck with and I have great luck with autozone batterys and the AGMS havent let me down yet mine is 4 years old and my dads is 6 years old and my previous autozone units were sold with the vehicle after 7+ years of use so I still have not seen one fail on my watch..... my 99 f-150 had a stock motorcraft under the hood and it failed in 6 years replaced it with a duralast gold and 3 duralast marine deeps in the bed for my sound system and they never let me down

A few weeks ago my AutoZone battery died 2 days before the end of the 3 year full warranty. Received a new battery free but the warranty is now prorated for the next 2 years (the remaining 5 year warranty).

Good to hear of the good luck then. Always a bummer when you get catch just afterwards.

Back