Sitcoms

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Originally posted in my explorer thread:

Anyone know what could cause this following problem:

Has had timing chain rattle for ~ 15-20k miles or so. Not sure if relevant to the problem.

Had been driving my usual drive back to my school - about a 4 hour drive.
Was running how it normally does for about 2/3 of the ride, however, about 45 mins from my destination, there was what felt like really hard downshifts/shifts in general as I entered an area where the speed limit drops from 70 to 45 gradually. I thought, maybe for some reason I had accidentally shifted too far & put it into 2, rather than drive. I puled over, and put the truck in park, and moved it back over to drive. Then the truck started sputtering, and was almost like revving itself between 700ish and 1300ish RPM. I try pressing on the gas (back in park) to see if I could rev the engine, and it got to about 2000 rpm before the truck just died - CEL and battery light come on. I try starting it a few times - and again that same sputter/revving between 700 and 1300. Everytime you step on the gas, it sputters out and dies again. I pop the hood and tried the same, only this time manually doing it with the throttle.. and same result.
I finally remember I have starting fluid in my kit in the back, grab a can of that, spray it in, and start her back up. I go back to using the throttle, and she's running slightly better. She was started and I was able to make it to my destination, and she rode fine as long as I stayed at about 65-70+.

Got into the parking lot, checked everything out, and it looked, sounded, and performed as per usual. Any idea what could've happened/is happening? Are those timing chain guides finally going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless trouble codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected, there may be stored trouble codes, CEL or not.

Sounds like you may have a transmission issue.You need a tool capable of scanning transmission P0700 series DTC's.

Unless trouble codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected, there may be stored trouble codes, CEL or not.

Sounds like you may have a transmission issue.You need a tool capable of scanning transmission P0700 series DTC's.

Next time I get a chance to go down to the local parts store I'll have them read it. See what we can get.

Back