Steering wheel noise...only from the upper part of the column ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel noise...only from the upper part of the column ?

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Steering wheel noise...only from the upper part of the column shaft ?

Next noise I found now: my steering produces a kind of noise (a growling sound if I steer very fast left/right/left or a little bit more when I go to the left end).
Any way to lubricate something in the upper part of the steering column shaft ?

Tried to produce an audio file...not possible to upload here...it sounds like a squeaking wardrobe door...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With all the issues you've been reporting lately I think it's time to get a new Explorer! ;)

Peter

Thanks, Peter, but I try to hold my Sport...problem is, that I have to solve all problems alone, only with help from this forum here ! In the mean time I drive many kilometers/miles with a "smile on my face"...and so will I try to do as much I can to "hold" my ride !
If it is possible: no German car for me !

Peter, can you help me ? At this time: there are only about 26 used Explorers (U5) for sale in Germany !
And: I know, what I have (I think so !) / buy new one: don`t know what I get...

Peter, can you help me ? At this time: there are only about 26 used Explorers (U5) for sale in Germany !
And: I know, what I have (I think so !) / buy new one: don`t know what I get...
Sorry but that is something I can't help you with. It is always a bit of a gamble when buying a used vehicle and sometimes even a new one. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Knowing what you have is somewhat better but then you don't know what may be on the verge of going wrong.

Peter

1 problem that some have had is the ribbon cable in the steering wheel ends up after time being bound up.
Its a flat data cable connecting steering wheel buttons etc.
It gets mis folded over itself and is bunched up and wound too tight when the wheel is turned.
It sounds like plastic cables being stretched tight - a sort of fabric/leather strap type of creaking sound heard at the far left or far right of the steering movement.

@LukerDooker, It means this cable becomes damaged over the time ? How looks yours ?
I think I have to types of sound, one while steering to left or right from the middle and one near the end when steering to the left...the last is more intens but both have nearly the same frequency.

Back