• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy? 2004

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Need some quick replies on this. Last truck I bought I did not do my research on. Found a very clean 2004 4D explorer with 4.0L engine. Only has 120,000 miles and is almost rust free. I can buy this for $3,500 CAD, and this is on the high side, but given how clean and low miles I think it may be worth it.

Are there any major issues with this year? I read somewhere a Ford tech said never buy a 3rd gen. Let me know what I'm getting into...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure why you say that...My 2000 4.0L have been good other than the chain primary tensioner which I believe was fixed on later years?

That price is not a deal to jump on.

3rd gens are for people that like to work on their own cars.

Expect to replace the transmission: $2,500
Expect to pull the engine to fix timing:
You: $500-$800
Shop: $3,500
Or
Expect to put in a "new" engine: $3,500

Not including upper control arms, broken vent doors, hub bearings, door wiring....

Oh, get the V8 and timing will only be about $400 you or $800-$1,200 at a shop.

He is Canadian, add another 20% in Canadian dollars. The 4.0 was modified, but the exploding timing chains cassettes are still in there. Its not a matter of if, but when they detonate. Bought mine at 120, and the engine was on the hoist in my shop at around 175. its an 07. Quoted 5k in labor at a private shop for the job. Book time is around 15 hrs just to pull it. Its at 255 now, but does have a slight rattle on startup once again.

Okay, at this time I am going to offer $2500 for it. It is in very good shape. Rear hatch plastic panel is cracked but it seems they all do that..too bad Not much downside for $2500?
FYI, I have owned my 2000 for 14 years and have done all the wrenching on it. The engine has hung together and the tranny had the 2-3 shift flare and I had a blown separator plate. Put the kit in and it now been fine for 7 years.

If I grasp what you guys are saying its be prepared to FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) this truck. I'm sure the timing chains do not affect everyone. one people on forums come with problems?

Any other comments are highly appreciated. Looking to make my offer this Saturday

When the rear timing chain guides disintegrate, it will not be cost effective to repair the vehicle.
Enjoy it till then, though. You could get 75k more miles out of it, if you're lucky...but probably less.

The truth is....I wish I had not bought mine. From now on i'll go back to naturally aspirated, no computer vehicles. NO MORE FORDS EVER AGAIN.

I wouldn't buy that Explorer at ANY price. If you do, start putting away money now to have it repaired. You are mistaken. The timing chains effect EVERYONE that keeps one of these. Not if, when.

Back