So long, and thanks for the help over the years. Bonus: BMW Comparison Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So long, and thanks for the help over the years. Bonus: BMW Comparison Info

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
Thanks to everyone who has positively contributed to this great forum. While I am thrilled to be rid of my Explorer, I am grateful for the help received from so many fine folks here at this forum. It is a shame that Ford did not stand by their product for me and left with such a strong dislike of the brand. If it weren't for this forum I would have been much more disappointed.

A quick note on the cost of ownership claims I hear people make. Our Explorer was a $45,000 vehicle when I bought it in 2011. Our BMW X6 was about $58,000 when I bought it in 2010. The Explorer was definitely attempting to be in that luxury SUV market so I make this comparison with that mindset. In the years I have had both vehicles, my out-of-pocket repair bill for the Explorer was over $4,000 and with 81,000+ miles the water pump is a looming $2000+ repair. The BMW recently required a new water pump and because of the fancy suspension on our model I was unable to do the job myself so I had to pay $600 for the work. Other than that, no major repairs.
Here is the kicker:
I received a VERY generous $13,500 on trade-in for the Explorer.
The X6 is at ~$30,000.
Ford: $45,000 new - $4000 repairs - $13,500 final sale price = $27,500 cost of ownership over 6 years or $4583 per year of frustration.
BMW: $58,000 new - $600 repairs - $30,000 = $27,400 cost of ownership over 7 years or $3914 per year of enjoyment.

Just saying, and you are free to argue however you like.

I replaced the Ford with a CPO 2014 BMW X5 with 41,000 miles and am so much happier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't blame you at all. After hearing about the various weaknesses ( read disgusting design flaws) and crappy service from Ford, I'll never own any Fords newer than a Second Gen.

Congrats on the new ride, and thanks for inadvertently weighing in on my ESP debate...

Thanks to everyone who has positively contributed to this great forum. While I am thrilled to be rid of my Explorer, I am grateful for the help received from so many fine folks here at this forum. It is a shame that Ford did not stand by their product for me and left with such a strong dislike of the brand. If it weren't for this forum I would have been much more disappointed.

A quick note on the cost of ownership claims I hear people make. Our Explorer was a $45,000 vehicle when I bought it in 2011. Our BMW X6 was about $58,000 when I bought it in 2010. The Explorer was definitely attempting to be in that luxury SUV market so I make this comparison with that mindset. In the years I have had both vehicles, my out-of-pocket repair bill for the Explorer was over $4,000 and with 81,000+ miles the water pump is a looming $2000+ repair. The BMW recently required a new water pump and because of the fancy suspension on our model I was unable to do the job myself so I had to pay $600 for the work. Other than that, no major repairs.
Here is the kicker:
I received a VERY generous $13,500 on trade-in for the Explorer.
The X6 is at ~$30,000.
Ford: $45,000 new - $4000 repairs - $13,500 final sale price = $27,500 cost of ownership over 6 years or $4583 per year of frustration.
BMW: $58,000 new - $600 repairs - $30,000 = $27,400 cost of ownership over 7 years or $3914 per year of enjoyment.

Just saying, and you are free to argue however you like.

I replaced the Ford with a CPO 2014 BMW X5 with 41,000 miles and am so much happier.
Good for you sir, i am hoping that my explorer can fetch a good price also and yes i too will be estatic when its gone
. My 2002 XLS has only 74 k original miles and im having no start, PATS and front wheel bearing issues along with a piece of plastic that fell out from under the passenger dash area and who lnows where that came from. It stranded me in the middle of nowhere 2 months ago and has now cost me my job because I cant get to work. To say im disgusted is an understatement. NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVEN CONSIDER A FORD.

Good for you sir, i am hoping that my explorer can fetch a good price also and yes i too will be estatic when its gone
. My 2002 XLS has only 74 k original miles and im having no start, PATS and front wheel bearing issues along with a piece of plastic that fell out from under the passenger dash area and who lnows where that came from. It stranded me in the middle of nowhere 2 months ago and has now cost me my job because I cant get to work. To say im disgusted is an understatement. NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVEN CONSIDER A FORD.

There are only a few reliable brands, Toyota / Lexus. I had a 97 Lexus GS and drove it to 175K miles before it swam back to Japan during hurricane Sandy. Even with the most reliable cars, i had bearings fail, control arm, suspension, EGR, Oxygen, radio stopped showing on screen and other sensors that failed just after 100K miles. Timing chain needed to be replaced, water pump with some other stuff.

If you read the Beemerfest forums, majority of people will tell you to stay away from 2014 X5 as it was the 1st year model production with many issues that were resolved only on 2015 and 2016 X5 models. Your CPO will only be covered for another 2.5 or 3 years or 100K (7 years total) warranty as the car was built in 2013.
I too might be considering going that route at some point but will only go for a 16 CPO as I want to have at least 4 to 5 years of warranty remaining. Once you go over 100K miles with that X5 or the CPO period, parts are at least twice as expensive if not more for BMW parts as compared to Ford parts. The only thing that I would need to do is to find a reliable indie shop that understands X5.

Agreed. NEVER buy a first model year BM. Especially the X series.

There are tons of reliable cars. Unfortunately that ship sailed long ago on the Explorers. I'm expecting to hit the 20+ year 200k mark with no major issues.

Thanks for being a member here Randy and for your contributions to the Forum. It's unfortunate that things did not go as you had expected with the Explorer. I sincerely hope that your experience with the 'new' X5 will be a much more pleasant one. Take care and drive safe.

Peter

I guess this a feedback thread. I would say good choice if the switch was to a 4Runner ...bmw... not so much, people driving those etc usually have the need to be noticed on the road.

If you read the Beemerfest forums, majority of people will tell you to stay away from 2014 X5 as it was the 1st year model production with many issues that were resolved only on 2015 and 2016 X5 models. Your CPO will only be covered for another 2.5 or 3 years or 100K (7 years total) warranty as the car was built in 2013.
I too might be considering going that route at some point but will only go for a 16 CPO as I want to have at least 4 to 5 years of warranty remaining. Once you go over 100K miles with that X5 or the CPO period, parts are at least twice as expensive if not more for BMW parts as compared to Ford parts. The only thing that I would need to do is to find a reliable indie shop that understands X5.

Mine was built in 6/2014, so a few of those issues were already dealt with by that time. Hopefully the others won't be issues for me. That said, BMW did replace all 6 fuel injectors on our X6, out of warranty, at no cost to me. Why? Lots of answers to that one, but the only answer that matters is to me is that I had a problem with one injector before it should have been a problem and BMW replaced them all, at no cost. I have no expectation of Ford ever treating customers that way, and I certainly never received that sort of treatment- even under warranty.

Regarding the price of parts- I know a new backup camera for the BMW is ~$42, not the ~$500 Ford charges for essentially the same part. There are only a few parts that I have seen in my 17 years of BMW ownership which I thought were overpriced and none of them have been as egregious as the Ford backup camera. Please stop spreading that misleading "over 100,000" miles parts price misconception unless you have data to back it up. Nothing I have seen in my experience supports it. The N55 won three straight Ward's 10 Best Engines awards in 2011-2013 and is a derivative of the N54 which also won numerous awards. After adding an oil catch can I am not too worried about that motor.

How much cargo area is there in the BMW?
Not enough. ;-)
I will miss that extra bit of room the Explorer offered but it was rarely used. Neither vehicle can hold a sheet of plywood flat on the floor so they both fail equally. The X5 has excellent tie down hooks on rails on both sides of the cargo area. Driving with unsecured cargo is a risk most people are willing to take. After my recent injury I take the extra time and effort to ensure safety in case of the unexpected.
This isn't mine, but same model showing the tracks on either side of the huge sub-floor storage compartment.
800px-Extra_Cargo_Space_-_2014_BMW_X5_xDrive_35i_%2815040366321%29.jpg

One final comment on the Ford vs. BMW, since Forddealz mentioned the "Beemerfest" forum.... I don't know which one you were referencing, but the popular forum for the current generation is http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/ If you take the time to scan the posts, you may be interested to see how few posts are complaints/problems vs how-to, etc. Look at this forum and you will see almost the opposite ratio.

I guess this a feedback thread. I would say good choice if the switch was to a 4Runner ...bmw... not so much, people driving those etc usually have the need to be noticed on the road.
I'd rather be noticed in a quality car driving on the road than in a 45k piece of garbage that leaves you stranded on the side of the road. If I hadn't found my extremely clean second gen I'd be driving an X3 or RX300. Plenty of people buy Explorers to be noticed on the road.

:dunno:Yay Trump? I'd buy a Geo Tracker and paint it camo with a confederate flag on the roof also but...

What's Trump have to do with anything.........
And, but what?

my underground bunkers air supply is not working properly, is yours?:confused:
*puts on kid gloves*
Point was neither a BMW or Exploder have good resale or low repair costs compared to a Toyota etc. The other point was the majority of BMW drivers don't know they are douch or douchettes, NOT all, the ones that are usually wear oversized tacky sunglasses even when its raining or cloudy and never use their turn signals, it depends how often you drive in the big city to see that type, any other questions? we good?:thumbsup:

https://www.elitedaily.com/envision...ually-are-the-biggest-******-bags-on-the-road

just enter DOU CHE where the asterix are in the link, or just search "bmw do uche"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't answer my Trump question. Put the kid gloves away. I'm a man. Equating BMW owners with a stereotype shows how shallow minded, and lame you really are. Some BMWs have stellar reliability, and the resale value is a good thing for someone like me, who buys used.

I work all over the country, including the 'big city'. I see plenty of jerks driving Toyotas, and every other make as well. Feel free to return to your bunker.

Back