Right headlight won't work, can't find fuse? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right headlight won't work, can't find fuse?

Dylan2955

Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I put some led bulbs in my Ford, they worked great but a few days went by and the right one went out.

I replaced the bulb with the original one and it didn't come back.. I tried checking the fuse box but there was no fuse where the book said it would be.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put some led bulbs in my Ford, they worked great but a few days went by and the right one went out.

I replaced the bulb with the original one and it didn't come back.. I tried checking the fuse box but there was no fuse where the book said it would be.

Thoughts?

Try putting a fuse into that slot is my first guess. Then I'd check the relay.

Try putting a fuse into that slot is my first guess. Then I'd check the relay.

Thanks! Can you tell me where the relay is? I'd for that matter what is a relay? Thanks!

My right headlight fuse blew as well with LEDs (+ resistors), something tells me the current isn't stable on most of these.

Anyway, I have a feeling you may have looked in the wrong fuse box? It's highly unlikely the fuse just fell out. The fuse box for the headlights is in the "Passenger compartment fuse panel" under the steering wheel where your knees are when you drive, and then up behind the panels there. It's pretty much in the worst spot ever, I usually crawl in backwards with the door open putting my head near the pedals. You have to remove the panels (2 bolts, then yank and pull) and crawl under there with a flashlight. Then look at the same number fuse you have in your manual for front right headlights, (#16 on a 2012 XLT). The fuse box cover also has numbering on them so you know which is which (and it has a fuse puller tool on the inside).

My right headlight fuse blew as well with LEDs (+ resistors), something tells me the current isn't stable on most of these.

Anyway, I have a feeling you may have looked in the wrong fuse box? It's highly unlikely the fuse just fell out. The fuse box for the headlights is in the "Passenger compartment fuse panel" under the steering wheel where your knees are when you drive, and then up behind the panels there. It's pretty much in the worst spot ever, I usually crawl in backwards with the door open putting my head near the pedals. You have to remove the panels (2 bolts, then yank and pull) and crawl under there with a flashlight. Then look at the same number fuse you have in your manual for front right headlights, (#16 on a 2012 XLT). The fuse box cover also has numbering on them so you know which is which (and it has a fuse puller tool on the inside).

I was absolutely in the wrong fuse box!

I'll check that location out after work today.

I went with a slightly pricey pair of LEDs (suppose that doesn't mean all that much) and was very happy with the brightness.

What did you end up using for your lights?

I currently run SNGL (these in 9005's) for low/high beams, and for fog lights I use Lumens (these). I rarely have the fog lights on to be honest. I have the Lumens for low/high beams as well but SNGL's are a bit stronger and I like the pattern better. However, the SNGL's require resistors or the lights will flicker. I contacted the company and they shipped me a pair for free (took forever, from Hong Kong...) but with both of them attached it blows the fuse after a little bit of driving, with just one attached it doesn't (but then the other light flickers).

The fuse (at least on the 2012) is rated at 15 Amps. I've measured the draw at around ~4.5 amps with the resistor attached, and at ~7 amp with it off (it's a little odd but it's hard to measure exact values without some more expensive gear), so multiplied by two that's really pushing the 15A fuse to the limit if that draw fluctuates in any way, or the 15A fuse isn't perfect and is ~13 Amp in resistance, but I won't put a higher fuse in as that's just a terrible idea in general. However, I think one of my resistors is bad so I've ordered new ones that will come eventually. The Lumen didn't flicker at least so should it not work out with SNGLs in the end I'll go back to those.

If anyone has had a better experience with LED replacements in Halogen reflectors I'm all ears.

Which ones did you get?

I was absolutely in the wrong fuse box!

I'll check that location out after work today.

I went with a slightly pricey pair of LEDs (suppose that doesn't mean all that much) and was very happy with the brightness.

What did you end up using for your lights?

They are all Chinese crap to be honest regardless of what brand you buy.

I currently run SNGL (these in 9005's) for low/high beams, and for fog lights I use Lumens (these). I rarely have the fog lights on to be honest. I have the Lumens for low/high beams as well but SNGL's are a bit stronger and I like the pattern better. However, the SNGL's require resistors or the lights will flicker. I contacted the company and they shipped me a pair for free (took forever, from Hong Kong...) but with both of them attached it blows the fuse after a little bit of driving, with just one attached it doesn't (but then the other light flickers).

The fuse (at least on the 2012) is rated at 15 Amps. I've measured the draw at around ~4.5 amps with the resistor attached, and at ~7 amp with it off (it's a little odd but it's hard to measure exact values without some more expensive gear), so multiplied by two that's really pushing the 15A fuse to the limit if that draw fluctuates in any way, or the 15A fuse isn't perfect and is ~13 Amp in resistance, but I won't put a higher fuse in as that's just a terrible idea in general. However, I think one of my resistors is bad so I've ordered new ones that will come eventually. The Lumen didn't flicker at least so should it not work out with SNGLs in the end I'll go back to those.

If anyone has had a better experience with LED replacements in Halogen reflectors I'm all ears.

Which ones did you get?

I went with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCE1AY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am happy with the brightness, but not sure theyre gonna work now.

I'm thinking I will try these shortly. http://drivebright.com/home/shop/hid-headlight-replacement-kit-new/

They are all Chinese crap to be honest regardless of what brand you buy.

It seems that way, do you have a suggestion for improving light brightness?

Thoughts?
Fuse #16, 10A, Low beam (Right) in the Cabin fuse box as you found out.;)

Peter

What in fresh hell is with the location of that box!? Found the fuse, it was blown.

Will replace it this afternoon, probably blew because I didn't use the resistor, suggestions on the easiest way to mount the resistor?

What in fresh hell is with the location of that box!? Found the fuse, it was blown.

Will replace it this afternoon, probably blew because I didn't use the resistor, suggestions on the easiest way to mount the resistor?

I would replace them with something better to be honest. I can send you a link to the LED bulbs I bought. They have lasted me two years now and I was able to put the dust covers back over them when I installed.

Here are the ones I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9005-HB3-9...ash=item3d186205b6:g:pDIAAOSwpoJXD8Mg&vxp=mtr

They are fanless and they are a good price. They are the same LED chip in the ones you linked but for a fraction of the price. XHP-50s. When you get them, they might have some sort of extra attachment. I took that off because I was not going to put a hole in my dust covers. Shoved the little ballast thing inside the headlight. Popped the lights in, folded the metal things to have maximum surface area for heat dissipation and popped the dust covers back on.

Back