• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires

A_Bussan

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa and Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I am looking at putting larger tires on for winter than my current 245/65/17. Does anybody know how big i can go before I cause the front tires to rub on the suspension? I am hoping to get to a 245/70/17 for the tires (od 30.5"+-) however I don't know if they will fit safely. Otherwise does anybody have good recommendations for where to get steel 16s with the TPSM cheap (<100ea)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking at putting larger tires on for winter than my current 245/65/17. Does anybody know how big i can go before I cause the front tires to rub on the suspension? I am hoping to get to a 245/70/17 for the tires (od 30.5"+-) however I don't know if they will fit safely. Otherwise does anybody have good recommendations for where to get steel 16s with the TPSM cheap (<100ea)?
If you go to a larger diameter tire, you will experience problems with the speedometer, aside from potential clearance problems. Why do you think a larger diameter will provide any advantage during winter?

You CAN go to wider tires, by going to a lower aspect ratio, in order to preserve tire diameter, such as 265/60/17, which would have similar diameter to your 245/65/17s.

Your reference to "16s" I do not understand: 16" wheels? I believe 16" is the smallest wheel size which will clear brake calipers on your 2005, and then, maybe not all 16s would. imp

Going to a 30.5 will have very minimal effects on your speedo. I run 31's and at 70 it's not even 5 mph off. I'm sure you can go up to the 70s if the factory size is a 65.

They'll fit.

Going to a 30.5 will have very minimal effects on your speedo. I run 31's and at 70 it's not even 5 mph off. I'm sure you can go up to the 70s if the factory size is a 65.
5 mph at 70 is 7% in error, a bit more than I like. For some, maybe acceptable. imp

I use the SCT X4 tuner to correct for oversized tires.

If you go to a larger diameter tire, you will experience problems with the speedometer, aside from potential clearance problems. Why do you think a larger diameter will provide any advantage during winter?

You CAN go to wider tires, by going to a lower aspect ratio, in order to preserve tire diameter, such as 265/60/17, which would have similar diameter to your 245/65/17s.

Your reference to "16s" I do not understand: 16" wheels? I believe 16" is the smallest wheel size which will clear brake calipers on your 2005, and then, maybe not all 16s would. imp

It is what the tires I am looking at come in. Not thinking a larger size will improve anything but choices in what can be put on.

I'd say you could go 265/70 17, I'm running 265/75 16 on my 02 and have no issues but when speedo says 70 I'm really going 76.

Just got 265 / 75 R 16 Hankook Dynapros on my 2004 XLT. No rubbing so far with my normal cargo or passenger, not even when wheels turned to max. Haven't checked speedometer. Looks much better with bigger tires. Will be interesting to see what happens at winter time, whether snow and ice will pack into wheel well and cause rubbing? So far, happy with 265/75R15 :)

Also, replaced TPMS sensors, got original Schrader (or very good chinese copy) for 13€/piece from eBay. Part numbers were
4L2T-1A150-BA
4L2T-1A150-BB
Not sure, what's the difference between BA and BB, dealer said it's interchangeable.

With new 265/75R16

1024x768.jpg

20171018_093614.jpg

Is it possible to go PXXX 85 R16?

Sure, though the difference between, say, a 265/75-16 and a 265/85-16 is over 2 inches.

They are rubbing I know they are lol. Look great though. I went with 245's and they rub at full turn. Got 60K out of them though. Now went back to stock 235's. My speedo was more accurate with the 245's, have gps to verify.
Hmm....I've never heard of 245s rubbing on any explorer. I had 255/70s on for 5 years and now 265/75s, they are close but still no rubbing.

As an Explorer owner for 4 years of one just like yours, same color and all (miksu) I'm not believing.

Hi, can someone confirm for me that 265/70R16 tyres will fit on the stock rims for an '03 Explorer XLT? I have a set of snow tyres in that size and hoping to avoid buying wider rims.
If I do have to (or even want to) get wider rims for the 265's, is there a particular model that I could look for or would they have to be custom / non Ford rims? Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265's will definitely fit on the wheels, just remember every vehicle is slightly different and I believe it's the upper control arm that gets very close to tire wall with 265. Seems like most have no problems but I've heard a few claim they've had issues. I have 265s on mine with no rubbing but it's very close.

Back