Only1Mia

Reaction score
City, State
VISALIA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
20171026_135611.jpg
20171026_135611.jpg
I have a 1997 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC... The shifter is loose and I took it apart to check it out when I noticed this little gizmo just kinda hanging out of the ignition... Can anyone tell me what this is and more importantly what the part is that would hold it in place... I am pretty sure I am missing something here I just do not know what it is...

20171026_135638.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that's the thing/switch that activates the "ding-dong" chime when the key is in the ignition with the door open.

I thought that was what that was... any ideas as to what fills the gap??? Something has to hold it in place... and thanks for the quick reply... I am stranded out of town and need to fix this ASAP...

IDK how it fits into the lock, but it should'd be leaving you "stranded". What exactly are you experiencing?

I am actually stranded because the pin fell out of the shifter and well I have no shifter... I put the key into the ignition and I can pull it out no matter what position it is in... when I turn the key off it sometimes does not turn off all the way so my electrical stuff is still on... not cool for the battery...

Sounds like you need a new lock cylinder and maybe the parts the lock cylinder engages to work the ignition switch. The pin that holds the shifter in is called a roll pin. In a pinch a small machine screw can he substituted to get you home, but you have other problems. It's a bit hard to believe all these things broke at the same time. What broke first?

I rescued the Explorer last November... the previous owners were against vehicle maintenance so it has lots of things that need to be fixed... I started with what I considered the most important, the valve body... just got that in last week... shifting problems brought me to the loose shifter which got me to the ignition... it is going to be a slow roll since I mostly have no idea what I am doing but this place is helping me find my way...

My Explorer was born in June 1997, I am not sure if that makes him a 97 or 98 partswise or if I can mix and match... this vehicle is turning out to be a true challenge...

My Explorer was born in June 1997, I am not sure if that makes him a 97 or 98 partswise or if I can mix and match... this vehicle is turning out to be a true challenge...
Many things mix and match but primarily it will depend on engine, and look at pictures of '97 and '98 model years as things like the rear lift gate, tail lights, rear bumper, and dash lights changed (blue to green).

The 10th character in your VIN # should indicate the model year. See this chart:

Year-to-VIN-chart.png

That switch reads the key position I think. It may do just what koda says. It's not a critical piece in that it will strand you. I think the piece that holds it in place has broken off, but it should work fine if you tape it in place. It's properly positioned, or very close to it, in the bottom pic.

When did they start using PATS in the Explorers? This one doesn't have PATS, so if '98 was the first year for it, this is a '97.

98 Explorers have PATS... the part looks like it might belong there except for the connectors are different... I get that I could tape it down, I was thinking silicone to absorb vibration, but I really want to know what goes there... it was born with something there...

That switch reads the key position I think. It may do just what koda says. It's not a critical piece in that it will strand you. I think the piece that holds it in place has broken off, but it should work fine if you tape it in place. It's properly positioned, or very close to it, in the bottom pic.

When did they start using PATS in the Explorers? This one doesn't have PATS, so if '98 was the first year for it, this is a '97.

1998 was first year for PATS. This one appears to be a '97.

Yes this Explorer is a '97... Turdle shared a link (Thank You) that had a lot of useful info... I spent all night following links and I think I am getting closer to finding out what piece is missing... has anyone heard of VATS??? I found an Anti-Theft Immobilizer Module that looked like something that might go there but it was for a '97 Expedition...

When I replaced the steering wheel and clockspring in my '01 Sport Trac this summer, I broke the piece we're discussing here and spliced in the one from the steering column I got the other parts from. I had to think a bit and find the old part just to be sure we're talking about the same part. There's supposed to be a little finger of the plastic that holds that piece in place. It's kinda hidden, so when one pries that piece from it's position, that finger gets broken off unless you know it's there and are VERY careful. That little finger is all that holds this piece in place. The reason I asked about PATS is the PATS module that reads the chip in the key has a plastic ring that fits in the space between this piece and the collar of the ignition key slot. You're probably seeing something similar for the Expedition.

You are correct, that is exactly what I saw for the Expedition... I thought I had it with the anti-theft immobilizer module but not so much...

That parts set was loose/off on my 98 Mercury ages ago, and it would cause a no start condition. I finally discovered that and put a dab of RTV on it to make it stay in place.

I'd say you should consider replacing the key cylinder, and at least go to a JY and see what the 95-97 trucks have there, which you may want to get if it's easy to R&R. The shift linkage is also a weak link, how well/precisely does it move through the gear positions? If it's sloppy at all, first inspect all of the bolts around the steering column, they can become loose over 20 years. If it needs more to have it shift more tightly, the parts to replace what commonly wears out, they run about $50-$60.

I replaced the shift tube bushings about a week ago... I also removed all the torx bolts put locktite on them and put them back... yesterday I replaced the pin in the shifter and it is considerably better now... next on the hit parade is the indicator and I have to figure out why only half of the instrument panel lights up...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great work Mia. The instrument lights are separate bulbs on one common circuit film. It's most likely that just half of the bulbs have gone bad, being old. Plan to replace them all at this age. R&Ring the cluster is tedious, but it includes taking the shift gear indicator out too, just a tiny 5.5mm bolt underneath, straight up from the bottom.

I'd put in LED bulbs, but that's tough to choose, given the huge range of brightness, and colors, plus the polarity(must test them before putting cluster back in).

Back