Time for tires | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finally retired the OEM Hankooks on the wifes Ex, about 1 week ago, 58,631 mi. on the clock. Went with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus.They are quiet, the EX doesn' t feel every crack in the road anymore and they handle very good on this rainy day. Tread depth is deeper compared to others on Tire Rack.Neighbor has a set on his Edge and swears by them at 61,000 mi.It also helped local dealer was having an anniversary sale.Tires are like anything very subjective, that's why there's more than one brand. Time will tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

58k?? Wow, how did that work out in the winter? at 32k my OEM are slipping and sliding in slush much less snow. Do you have dedicated winter tires?

No dedicated snow tires. The last 2-3 winters we really haven't had a winter or any snow, maybe 6" each winter. We seem to just get rain and brother nobody here is complaining except all the kids that haven't had a snow day lol. The Ex.has the 58k as noted above, and ready for winter or hopefully another lack of.

Hankook Dynapro...my "summer" tires with M+S...
Under really whet conditions on german highway I feel a little instability back...
Winter conditions (my first winter with this type Explorer): the tests summarize with god results on snow...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=196

Unsure to check the Hankook`s during next winter...

Hello y’all,
Need help from some fellow gear heads. I’m in need of some new tires on my sport. I live up in New England and winter is approaching. Looking for some input from people who may have already replaced their tires. Looking for positive or negative feed back before I buy. The review on the tire sites very greatly from site to site. I would prefer some honest input from the members here.
Right now I think I narrowed it down to two sets. The Hankook dynapro HP2 and the Michelin premiere LTX.
I’m not looking to break the bank on price, but also I’m not looking to for the cheapest. Just want to get the most for my money. I’m thinking around $1200 out the door.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

I got the Premier LTX on my 2017 Limited and absolutely love them. That said I'm not sure how they will do for snow performance as I didn't buy them for that purpose -- I have dedicated snows for that.

I was around 1200 out the door including an alignment.

Hello y’all,
Need help from some fellow gear heads. I’m in need of some new tires on my sport. I live up in New England and winter is approaching. Looking for some input from people who may have already replaced their tires. Looking for positive or negative feed back before I buy. The review on the tire sites very greatly from site to site. I would prefer some honest input from the members here.
Right now I think I narrowed it down to two sets. The Hankook dynapro HP2 and the Michelin premiere LTX.
I’m not looking to break the bank on price, but also I’m not looking to for the cheapest. Just want to get the most for my money. I’m thinking around $1200 out the door.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
If Winter is a concern then the safest and best tires are dedicated Winter tires since no 3 season tire will perform as well. I always read the customer reviews on the tire sites and find that they are generally pretty consistent on a particular tire. I don't think getting opinions here would be much different than on the sites. There are also All Weather tires that can be used all year.

Peter

Got the Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed yesterday, so far so good but they are a little "softer" side to side vs the oem tires but I'll get used to them. Nice look to them, seen they might be quieter too... Now I need to wash the wheels! :)

View attachment 97676

Regarding the Michelin Defender LTX M/S - I will say that my recent 1,600 mile trip with a lot of "off-road" travel, rocks, gravel, sandy/dirt, highway pavement, and one PANIC STOP from 65 MPH to avoid 5 DEER etc... and was very pleased overall with their performance and overall 24.2 MPG in many mountain areas over 5K feet to almost 8K feet while loaded with our stuff overall.
20171019_101240-M.jpg

2016 Sport tires shot with 30,000 miles

I am looking for something with good wet weather traction as I live in the Pacific NW. I also would like to get more mileage out of the new tires. I have narrowed it down to 3 options. Any input based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

PREMIER LTX

SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

I am looking for something with good wet weather traction as I live in the Pacific NW. I also would like to get more mileage out of the new tires. I have narrowed it down to 3 options. Any input based on experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

PREMIER LTX

I believe if you use the 'Search' feature within this thread that you'll find posts on all those tires.

Peter

EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

PREMIER LTX

I would add a fourth option, Michelin Defender LTX. Both the Defender and Premier LTX are great tires, but there are some slight differences according to what I've read and based on my experience with LTX's. The Premier LTX will be slightly better at braking in both dry and wet weather and have slightly better rolling resistance. The Michelin Defender LTX is better tire for not hydroplaning, light snow and has exceptional tread life. I owned two sets of Michelin LTX's (same tread design as the Defender) on my '02 Explorer with the first set lasing over 80,000 miles with still quite a bit of tread left and second set had about 55,000 miles when I sold the Explorer, absolutely great tires. Both tires are very quiet, handle the same, same ice braking and same ride comfort. I had a choice between the two and since my past experience had been exceptional with Defender LTXs, I purchased a set of them about a week ago over the Premier LTX. I even asked the America's/Discount tire store manager his opinion and he clearly stated that he thought the Defender LTX was a better tire. Just my two cents.

2016 Explorer Sport Replacement Tires

With roughly 34,000 miles on our original Hankook tires they have about 1/8" of tread left I have begun looking for a replacement tires. I'm trying to find something quiet, rides good, good dry / wet performance since I'm in Florida.

Has everyone been sticking with the same size tire? If so, I'm down to these two tires unless someone else has another recommendation.I'm leaning towards the Michelin's right now but have had good luck with Nitto in the past and the reviews are good. I'm thinking the Michelin's will be quieter and possibly better wet traction.

htthttps://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-premier-ltx/p/31457

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt421q/p/15283

The Michelins were on my Explorer until I swapped them for the snows. I love them.

The item has been discussed time and time again on the forum, so a quick search might yield some quicker information for you.

Keep in mind that the Hankooks have been noted as a tire where 'accelerated wear' is possible and prorated replacement might be an option for you:

Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment. For Hankook contact information refer to the Tire Warranty information[...]

The Michelins made my Sport a whole new vehicle. I liked them so much that I put them on my wife Mercedes and they are amazing on that truck too.

The Michelins were on my Explorer until I swapped them for the snows. I love them.

The item has been discussed time and time again on the forum, so a quick search might yield some quicker information for you.

Keep in mind that the Hankooks have been noted as a tire where 'accelerated wear' is possible and prorated replacement might be an option for you:

Well it sounds like the Michelin's are the choice but I'd love to hear someone's opinion of the Nittos on our Explorers.

Is there a TSB or anything referencing the Hankook 'accelerated wear'? Mine are definitely chewed up near the edges.

Well it sounds like the Michelin's are the choice but I'd love to hear someone's opinion of the Nittos on our Explorers.

Is there a TSB or anything referencing the Hankook 'accelerated wear'? Mine are definitely chewed up near the edges.
No TSB but an SSM as indicated in post #433 above. Same is also listed in TSB thread; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
If you do a 'Search' for Nitto in this thread you will find 27 posts with that name in them. Looking at the Tire Rack site Nitto isn't listed there as a brand. On the 1010tires site there are only 2 Nitto brand tires that show as fitting a 2016 Explorer Sport. The NT421Q and NT420S.

Peter

No TSB but an SSM as indicated in post #433 above. Same is also listed in TSB thread; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
If you do a 'Search' for Nitto in this thread you will find 27 posts with that name in them. Looking at the Tire Rack site Nitto isn't listed there as a brand. On the 1010tires site there are only 2 Nitto brand tires that show as fitting a 2016 Explorer Sport. The NT421Q and NT420S.

Peter

I was looking for something a little more official then a forum post that might of been copied / pasted from somewhere else. I don't see SSM referenced in Post #433. I don't know what SSM stands for either. The Nitto's I was referencing were in my original post, the NT421Q.

I was looking for something a little more official then a forum post that might of been copied / pasted from somewhere else. I don't see SSM referenced in Post #433. I don't know what SSM stands for either. The Nitto's I was referencing were in my original post, the NT421Q.

This is the SSM from my post above, shown below. It may have been somewhat obscured by the quote format. Reprinted below for your convenience. Sorry, I don't have anything more to share than what has come out from Ford on this. An SSM is a 'special service message,' think of it as a little blurb as opposed to a full blown TSB.

Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment. For Hankook contact information refer to the Tire Warranty information[...]

As far as I can tell those are actual posts from existing members here. I doubt anyone would copy and paste their experiences with a tire and even if it was it is still a comment of the tire. I always read the customer reviews on the tire site to get a general idea of a particular tire's performance and go from there. The NT421Q on 1010tires was given a 4.5 out of 5 rating by 4 reviews with treadwear being the lowest just below Noise and comfort. As for the SSM in post 433 it is there and starts with Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018.......
SSM: Special Service Message, generally an acknowledgement that an issue exists

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the SSM from my post above, shown below. It may have been somewhat obscured by the quote format. Reprinted below for your convenience. Sorry, I don't have anything more to share than what has come out from Ford on this. An SSM is a 'special service message,' think of it as a little blurb as opposed to a full blown TSB.

Thank you.

As far as I can tell those are actual posts from existing members here. I doubt anyone would copy and paste their experiences with a tire and even if it was it is still a comment of the tire. I always read the customer reviews on the tire site to get a general idea of a particular tire's performance and go from there. The NT421Q on 1010tires was given a 4.5 out of 5 rating by 4 reviews with treadwear being the lowest just below Noise and comfort. As for the SSM in post 433 it is there and starts with Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018.......
SSM: Special Service Message, generally an acknowledgement that an issue exists

I was talking about something official for the "SSM" in regards to the tires. I was hoping there was something similar to a TSB but I got it.

As far as the Nittos, I've pretty much read every single website review on them but wanted an Explorer owner's perspective. Thanks you though.

Back