4WD w/2-speed transfer case vs. AWD and "just let the computer decide" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD w/2-speed transfer case vs. AWD and "just let the computer decide"

Mike Slass

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Toyota 4Runner
Hi:

Just to establish my Ford loyalty: my father-in-law is a Ford retiree, and our other two vehicles are a '94 Ranger and a '16 Mustang.

That said ...
I pull my 3,500 lb. 18' R*POD up to the ski hill with my 1997 4Runner - manual transmission, manual 2-speed transfer case. Low-Range has saved my bacon several times when it's snowed over the weekend, and I've had to haul the trailer through a snow bank to get out of the parking lot.

I'm looking to get something newer to pull the R*POD, and I like everything about the Explorer except for the fact that it has no low-range, and I don't get any say in the 4WD decisions. I'm sure many of the members of this forum have struggled with the same question, and I'd be glad to hear how your experience has been with giving up low range, and with letting the computer make all the decisions about which wheels to power.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Not sure if I agree with the statement, " I'm sure many of the members of this forum have struggled with the same question.." There are of course some but I'd think that would be a limited number. There are a few threads showing how capable it is in mild/moderate off-road conditions and the Terrain Management System does quite a good job when used to accommodate various conditions. That said, it certainly is no 4Runner.;)

Peter

I like where I can lock the transmission/transfer case into either 4hi or 4lo.

But since I purchased the Explorer and cant actually do that it is a mute point and I live with what I have.

You also have to realize that this new generation of Explorers are not built or designed for serious off roading. For one it will get stuck on just about anything in the middle of the road not to mention being able to fight snow and mud in the back country.

But then that isn't what I bought mine for. I like the comfort that it provides that a capable 4x4 vehicle doesn't provide. I do wish it did provide those capabilities but it just doesn't.

So if it doesn't do what you really want one to do then you need to go elsewhere to get what you want or just be satisfied with what it is.

Mike,

My opinion - there is absolutely no comparison between the 4x4 Toyota that you are currently using vs a 4WD explorer when considering your application. The Toyota is superior in every way for the application that you described, without a doubt.

You perhaps will not have cooled/heated seats, myFordTouch, or a distance until empty display on the dashboard in the Toyota. What you do have is a sturdy, reliable, and robust 4x4 system that is proven to be bulletproof - as evidenced by the incredible resale value in the true Toyota 4x4's.

Research the transfer case/PTU threads on this forum.

if 4LO saved you before youre probably out of luck with an Explorer. I would rent one for a week first. I've had vehicles with 4LO before and never needed it, so having the single speed AWD transfer case made no difference to me.

I personally like AWD for snow on the road where I use it most without a trailer, keeps front end from drifting off when the transfer case is locked.

Toyota 4 Runner is such a different vehicle, really made for off roading, rides like a "truck", my friend has one , been in it quite often. Explorer is a street vehicle with the ability to handle a bit of snow etc.. , much softer ride. Back in the 70's I had a 4 wheel drive International Scout as company vehicle, all dressed up. A true 4 wheel drive, in low it could snap your neck from take off , think top speed in Low 1st gear was about 10 mph. Used it for off roading a few times, it was a beast. It had a 10k lb towing package on it, talk about a stiff suspension. I prefer the Explorer, rides way better, more comfortable, so far as four wheel drive think I have only used it once in the snow going to hockey one night. It is more of a AWD system then a true 4 wheel drive, designed with suburban drivers in mind, not gravel roads, farm fields or heavy lifting when it comes to boats etc..

I'm no expert, far from it, but it seems the question really comes down to the terrain. If you need the ground clearance then the Ford will fail you every time. If are limited because of traction and not the depth of the snow then good tires and an Explorer may get the job done. Mine struggled a bit pulling my boat out of the water but always got it done, if only barely. The computer does a fairly good job of managing traction and the various modes due impact the system.
Ground clearance is the big issue- 8" of snow can make a 14" drift which can then easily get packed into a fairly solid 10", enough to leave you high-centered. The Explorer has 7.8" clearance on factory tires, the 4 Runner has 9.6" and the TRD version has 11.1"

The current generation Explorer is meant for bad roads, not bad terrain. It's a unibody car meant for comfort, not a truck with a good, sturdy frame.

If you need locking differentials, this isn't your car.
If you need a low range, this isn't your car.

The computer is smart, but can only do so much with "street" hardware. Traction control isn't going to be able to replicate a true locking diff.

Good luck with whatever you decide--but it seems like you need an F150/Expedition more than an Explorer.

As an owner who has had the Ford Explorer ever since January of 2011 with the NA 3.5L V6, I can tell you that this thing is really not that bad in snow. If you get the ecoboost Explorer, even better, you will have good power even at higher altitudes, and I feel like that low end power accommodated with low end torque of the ecoboost makes up for lack of low range. The only thing I'd worry about is tires. I ran the stock 18" michelins and they were excellent in my opinion.

I have confidently driven in snow storms and blizzards in my Ford Explorer just fine. I even have some dashcam footage of me saving some people who passed out on the side of the road in a snow storm!

The nice thing is the terrain management system will turn off traction control for you on certain modes like mud and snow and the mud mode gives you a good 50/50 split in torque!

Will it do crazy stuff like a normal 4WD system would? Probably not. However, I've never been stuck, if I ever was "stuck", I was able to power out of it. Maybe I was lucky but I think that says something.

Now the thing I'd worry about is reliability, I've pushed my car hard and I think that's why I'm running into the issues I'm running into now at 85K miles. I've had my PTU replaced once already at less than 40K, and there were tons of problems for my model year. However, it is a good car with decent tech and luxury combined. If you're a guy who wants to keep his cars long term, I'd highly suggest against an Explorer only because of the PTU and the internal water pump that can grenade your engine. If you're leasing, yeah, go for it.

If you're a guy who wants to keep his cars long term, I'd highly suggest against an Explorer only because of the PTU and the internal water pump that can grenade your engine. If you're leasing, yeah, go for it.

I appreciate the help and advice that people like you give on this forum - it has proven to be an invaluable resource. Cheers!

I appreciate the help and advice that people like you give on this forum - it has proven to be an invaluable resource. Cheers!

You might be interested in the future Bronco or redesign of the Explorer that is rumored to be RWD based so no transverse engine and hopefully no internal waterpump.

You might be interested in the future Bronco or redesign of the Explorer that is rumored to be RWD based so no transverse engine and hopefully no internal waterpump.
I'm pretty sure that the Ford V6 in the RWD vehicles is the same as the V6 in the FWD vehicles.

I'm pretty sure that the Ford V6 in the RWD vehicles is the same as the V6 in the FWD vehicles.

What he meant is the way the engines are mounted in fwd vs. rwd vehicles with the 3.5L. The fwd engines are mounted sideways and requires the use of internal water pumps hich requires engine removal for water pump failure/change. Wish I knew this when getting my Ex out in the middle of nowhere. Now kinda worried about when the time comes for water pump or ptu as no dealer here.

So wanted an expedition but closest dealer didn't sell them and next closest was Alberta.

Back