Key storage while cycling or running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key storage while cycling or running

Ted K

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bethpage, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Platin
I often cycle from my car. Wondering if anyone has felt comfortable enough locking the key and transmitter in the car in the armrest and using the door code to lock and unlock the car. Always fearful I'll return to an empty spot!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it for years, with both my 2010 and 2016. I'm careful about putting the key in a spot that is out of sight. I lock the doors using the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons on the keypad.

+1 on the console vault.........

I often cycle from my car. Wondering if anyone has felt comfortable enough locking the key and transmitter in the car in the armrest and using the door code to lock and unlock the car. Always fearful I'll return to an empty spot!!
One thing to keep in mind is that as long as the key is in the cabin the key is being 'detected' and some of the electronics will stay 'awake' instead of going to 'sleep'. This will result is a constant drain on the battery. I have found that leaving the key in the rear of the vehicle will result in it not being detected. Also, wrapping it in aluminum foil will make it 'invisible' to the vehicle no matter where the key is.

Peter

The problem I just realized it is even if the key is hidden in the car, because the transmitter is in the car, if someone breaks in and push the start button in the car will start. Anyway around this. Any kind of package you can put it into shield the transmitter

The problem I just realized it is even if the key is hidden in the car, because the transmitter is in the car, if someone breaks in and push the start button in the car will start. Anyway around this. Any kind of package you can put it into shield the transmitter
As I mentioned in my post above, wrapping it in aluminum foil will make it invisible or hide it in the rear of the Ex which should be out of range. Some members have bought a shielded case to put the key in.

Peter

Just ordered something like this from Amazon. Thanks for all the information.

Back