01 Explorer Sport with flat spings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Sport with flat spings

Chloe Ann Sodomire

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4WD
Hi all,
I'm new here, and my explorer sport is new to me (been driving my ranger for 21 years). The problem I'm facing right now is the leaf springs appear flat and the back end sits low. I've never seen leaf springs do this. Putting in stock springs seems like an invitation for a mushy ride. Can springs from a ranger work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same issue, can ise the Warrior 153# shackles or the Monroe self adjusting shocks, both work well and are cheap

I would swap in good springs from a 4 door explorer. If there flat with the stock shackles I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable with putting lift shackles on springs that worn already, (you only have one leaf so if it breaks it could be a dangerous situation)and the load leveler shocks are great but offer only a temporary fix when adding to worn out leaf springs, if your not willing to swap out the leaf springs all together then I think an add a leaf will be your best bet then maybe throw in some load leveler shocks along with it. This will firm up the ride though maybe to much for your taste. I'm due for a spring swap myself the load leveler shocks will get you by until you can replace the leafs as they do take some load stress of the main suspension.

I agree with ccm2001, I have an 01 Sport and I put the Monroe 58617 load adjusting shocks on mine and it helps so much, I recommend putting new shackles on also.

So, I've put air shocks to lift the back up for now. If, I'm understanding all of you guys, I can put 4 door explorer springs in place of the stock 2 door ones.... I'll need new rear shackles for sure.... there won't be any positioning issues?

So, I've put air shocks to lift the back up for now. If, I'm understanding all of you guys, I can put 4 door explorer springs in place of the stock 2 door ones.... I'll need new rear shackles for sure.... there won't be any positioning issues?

As far as I know it's a direct fit swap.

As far as I know it's a direct fit swap.
Kwl beans. A few other little things that I need to do this weekend.... going to start looking for the springs. Also need to check on the tensioners.... I've got 155k on the engine, and they have never been changed. Thanks again.

Back