Aftermarket Tail Light Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Tail Light Options

klr-b-scl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Looks nice but it looks like they show white light in them when activated??

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Looks nice but it looks like they show white light in them when activated??

Peter

Thanks, I went to post and thought I had an account and realized I never signed up. Been stalking for over 3 years and somehow never posted hahaha.

Cool lights, I wonder how the build quality is on them for that price, but I do love the look of the break light compared to Ford default.

I see they do another version that extends onto the tailgate, although attachment for that extension with 3M tape seems a little.. "hmm, maybe not". Even if 3M tape can be crazy strong.

They are really nice

i wonder if there is an aftermarket headlights as well

I've had better luck with aftermarket LED taillights than I have aftermarket headlights. I've normally found aftermarket headlights to be of low quality, adjusters which have play in them and overall less than ideal beam options. I've also had them leak.

I couldn't resist and just ordered the taillights in smoked black, so I'll post an update once I have them. I'll also post some pics of installation procedure and when they're installed etc. I had to route them shipping-wise via family in the US, so it might take a little longer than usual to get them over here...

I bought a set of the red ones and they'll be delivered today. Unsure if they'll work on my PIU but I'll post my findings during the next few days when I get a chance to install them.

Cool I'd love to see images.

My truck is in the shop...string of bad luck with it recently and it's driving me insane. Dead battery, leaking transaxle, cracking seats, door panel falling apart... instead of lights may need a new vehicle. Ugghhhhhhhh

Installed. Decent quality, fit isn't 100% but it's not bad. Plug and play on my PIU.

20171108190734-956b83e8-me.jpg

20171108190737-6d4ec3c3-me.jpg

20171108190741-7890c726-me.jpg

20171108190752-73eab6fe-me.jpg

20171108190758-569b089e-me.jpg

20171108190804-ff0162c4-me.jpg

20171108190809-ac0f587f-me.jpg

Care to clarify on the "fit isn't 100%"? Did you have to modify them in any way?

They are amazing, what about the turn signals ? are they good ?

If you look at the lights, the three small rectangular embedded lights are the brake / turn signal lamps. They are quite bright and include an integrated resistor to prevent hyper flashing. The light tubes are used for the running lights.

Care to clarify on the "fit isn't 100%"? Did you have to modify them in any way?

I'd say they could hug the body a bit better. You also have to transfer a piece from the stock lamps. When I went to install that piece on the aftermarket lights, the locating dowels were too big to go through the holes so that I could reinstall the 7MM screws. I had to drill the locating dowel holes out slightly to get those pieces to install onto the new lights. Very simple, doesn't affect going back to stock in any way, but it was a minor inconvenience.

just bought the black/ smoked version of these, they looked too good to pass up... will update on thoughts once i get them

Still waiting to install mine as when I tried it, I missed the fact that on older model explorers (11, 12, not sure if others) you need to get a completely different light harness as those lights assume you have twist-in bulbs. It said so in the ebay listing in red, so me not reading that was the biggest mistake in that regard :oops: the harnesses were a little harder to find, but the ID is in the ebay listing as well, so for those that consider these lights with an older model, it may be worth checking your harness first unless you feel like having a harder time installing them :)

oh crap i didn't realize it was a harness that was needed... mine is a 13 so hopefully i don't have issues.

(edit) i just looked up the harness look to be about 15-20 each so not bad if needed..

I'm kind of surprised that it's limited to older vehicles, given that the lighting visually changed between 15/16, but technologically it didn't--what was LED was still LED, and what was halogen still halogen.

Edit: I'm dumb. I asked where this wire goes, but it connects as a light in the twist-light-socket. So I'll leave this post here in case someone else is having a "dumb day" :D

3g6RD2z.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, one question to those that did this. Behind the large black plastic plug of the tail light wiring harness, there's a bunch of wires (5 of them) that go into the body of the car and then connects to a clip. How do you get in there to unclip / clip a new harness on? The hole for the plug is about 2 inches wide, which means no hand can go in there (and the wire is quite taunt so you can't pull on it to get at the clip). I assume one would have to go in from another part of the car, but which? I'd rather not disassemble the whole car to switch out that harness...

Edit: Here's a picture to explain better, the clip is on the right next to the green tape and then the plug.
s-l300.jpg

Back