Radio/Amplifier Sound issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio/Amplifier Sound issues

Liam Moonan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I need some help trying to figure out what's wrong with my radio on my 1993 Ford explorer XLT (which is part number f2df 18k817 bf). A couple weeks ago it just stopped making sound, but I discovered if you pump the volume all the way up and hold your ear to the speaker, you can hear what's playing on the radio. I was originally planning on getting a new radio because the cassettes kept getting spit out anyway, but now I think it is a problem with the Amplifier. I have a completely stock system, and the owner's manual says it has JBL sound. I'm hoping it's something easy, like a loose plug somewhere, but after searching the internet for few days I haven't been able to find any useful information about where the wires go from the radio. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Liam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock amp is likely gone. Aftermarket HU's are an easy DIY install.

The amplifier is behind the plastic on the passenger side, and bolted above the wheel well. The plastic is one piece from the passenger side rear door, to the rear hatch. There are plugs at the amplifier.

Liam, I fear there is no hope for you.

:snicker: "I was originally planning on getting a new radio because the cassettes kept getting spit out anyway"

Liam, I fear there is no hope for you.

:snicker: "I was originally planning on getting a new radio because the cassettes kept getting spit out anyway"
lol you're right. I got my sister's old car stereo and it looks like a perfect fit, but the plugs don't match up. It has a CD player lol. Is there an adapter or something I need? Thanks

The JBL system radio/cassette unit has a low level output to the amplifier, it won't drive speakers directly (at least not at any significant volume) and has an 'enable' wire that turns the amplifier on when the radio is on. If you put a standard radio in place of the OEM radio, you would need to either purchase an adapter box that goes between the radio and the amplifier or - your option since you want to bypass the amplifier - disconnect the amplifier completely and connect the speakers directly to the radio. Both of our GEN1 Explorers have the JBL system; I've done both, and actually prefer using the OEM amplifier and speaker system.

taking the radio out and believe it or not jiggle connections /clean the amp is in the rear under the plastic like the guy tells you above ...youll need a bypass adapter for it when you get an aftermarket radio they make em already made up for 12 bucks or so ... that front radio connector is where i get the intermittant

The JBL system radio/cassette unit has a low level output to the amplifier, it won't drive speakers directly (at least not at any significant volume) and has an 'enable' wire that turns the amplifier on when the radio is on. If you put a standard radio in place of the OEM radio, you would need to either purchase an adapter box that goes between the radio and the amplifier or - your option since you want to bypass the amplifier - disconnect the amplifier completely and connect the speakers directly to the radio. Both of our GEN1 Explorers have the JBL system; I've done both, and actually prefer using the OEM amplifier and speaker system.

Do you know what the adapter is offhand? I don't recall seeing it during my searches.

If you're considering an aftermarket radio and using the existing amplifier, I recommend you look at the Crutchfield web site. Enter the vehicle data and drill down to the accessories section. They show a line level adapter and the necessary cables. You also should have a copy of the radio and amplifier wiring diagram so you'll better understand what each wire and cable does. They also show examples of Gen1 Explorer systems that people have done with their products.

I wouldn't use the factory amp with an aftermarket stereo. The sound quality and power output are both poor, and almost any head unit will out do it.

Look under the dash there is a gray output cable from the radio to the speaker amp, they plug together above the brake and gas pedal area. About a 3/4" square and about 5/16th diameter gray cable. Mine got kicked somehow and was making bad connection in that area. Just a note a PIA to fix if that is it.

Back