Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a semi-seccuess story for my 2002 explorer. It just turned over 140kmiles with no major work done on the transmission or engine. READ: transmission is original, timing chains untouched and still going great, original rear diff.

I've owned this explorer since 2007 (just got out of highschool), it had ~36k miles on it at the time. You can probably see some of my original posts from 2008/2008 on here somewhere.

Things I've done to it:
-Amsoil since 40kmiles (no timing chain issues ever, engine still sounds good)
-several (many) transmission pan drop/new filter/re-fill with new fluid about ever (30k miles
-replace rear diff oil w/ Amsoil ever ~30k miles.
-5r55w servo fix kit at ~100k miles, still shifting great 40k mi. later (http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com)
-ball joints and tie rods
-valve cover gaskets x2
-x2 AC compressors
-all wheel bearings
-just replaced the original radiator (140k miles)
-water pump
-alternator
-preemptively replaced the fuel pump around 120k miles
-HVAC recirculation door fix
-3 out of 4 windows regulation units
-one power door look actuator
-front hood gas lifts.

Thats about it. I've always waxed it ever year so the paint still looks great and not all scuffed up (although clear coat on the roof is starting to peel and flake, I never waxed the roof, :(.

That's all. I know I'm in the minority, but just wanted to share my success (considering) story with this 3rd gen.

Also, I've always made a point to step over the driver's seat side bolsters when getting in and out, so the leather seats are still in great shape too.

I plan to continue to DD the vehicle for at least a couple more years.

This forum has been great. Although I'm not not as active as I use to be. The forum has helped out a lot.

IMG_7986.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice post -- my 2002 has about 130k on it, has had no work to the tranny (not even oil and filter changes), the only thing done to the engine is the intake manifold (which cracked when I went to replace the original thermostat at about 100k), all four wheel bearings have been replaced, the hood lifts and the back glass lifts, and an after market radio, and it doesn't even rattle. I'm happy with it.

We're did you buy you're front bar if u don't mind me asking

its a Westin model. I picked it up new off of Craig's list years ago. I've used it maybe just a couple times to push disabled cars slowly. For this purpose it works well. Otherwise I just like it for aesthetics.

Back