Won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start.

Asegu290

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer sport
i have a 2001 Explorer sport and I parked it the other day and now I can't get it to start. Tested the battery and the alternator they are good. Tried the starter but seems like it getting no power. Everything in the car turns on the radio,blower, etc but just won't turn over any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say "won't start" are you getting power to the starter? You either are or your not, the word "seems" is throwing me off.
Loquetus

If you are getting power to the starter, then you need to check for spark, then fuel pressure. The problem you have described has many answers, from fuel pumps, filters and everything in between. Mine was doing that on occasion until finally it was doing it all the time. The culprit was the cps (crank position sensor). Replaced that and it has never done that again. It could be anything without more input as to what is going on with it from you. Hope you can get it up and running as ugly weather is coming. If you are not getting power to starter, check your cables both pos and neg as they could be corroded or lose.
Loquetus

i checked the starter wires even tried the tap trick or just turning it on from the starter. But there deff no power going to it. When I prime the car you can hear the fuel pump wine up just when I turn the key nothing at all. The theft light does blink now I'm thinking it might be a security issue. Thanks for the info loquetus

I would check fuses and relays if you are getting no power to the starter because the pats system does not stop the starter, stops injectors I believe.
Loquetus

Thanks man I just googled the pats system and it will stop the fuel pump or the starter if the key is not recognized. Im going try messing with that a little but thanks for the help loquetus

An '01 Sport with a build date of 7/24/00 or later has the newer version of PATS with the starter interrupt. When you wrote that the theft light blinks, if you mean it blinks after a few seconds of turning the key on, yes that could indicate a problem while it should always slowly blink with no key in the ignition.

If you use a OBDII scan tool like the BAFX sold on Amazon (or another with a PC, Android, or iOS device connection so you can run Forscan), then you can use Forscan app to pull the PATS trouble codes.

Thank you so much for that tid bit of info, as I was un-aware of those changes made to pats. When I had problems with mine that baby turned all day or until the battery drained and also on my friends 99. Thanks again J_C.
Loquetus

Back