BFG Ko vs ko2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG Ko vs ko2

Well there not cheap that's for sure one thing that kinda bothers me was they don't have a mileage warranty you would think given there popularity and reputation they would seems a lot of there competition does any way.

Another small update, I noticed the stone ejectors work great but the added siping on the outer edge on the tread bars tend to hold small rocks but no evidence of drilling. Just hear the click click click for a few miles on the street after a drive on a gravel road. But still impressed with the traction, my front yard has some muddy pot holes I can crawl through them as slow as I possibly can in 2wd without breaking any traction. Might be getting some snow next week around Thanksgiving (hopefully) then I can post a complete review because I've had them in everything else and I'm impressed so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another small update, I noticed the stone ejectors work great but the added siping on the outer edge on the tread bars tend to hold small rocks but no evidence of drilling. Just hear the click click click for a few miles on the street after a drive on a gravel road.
I know its a possibility for any A/T but that freaked me out the first time that happened to me on my KOs. Although it was a huge piece of plastic that somehow got wedged between the treads and made a very unusual click click all the way til i stopped and found it :)

Ok so now that I got the first snow fall and had a chance to try out the new treads on snow (the final test) I have to say once again I'm impressed. I have a total of 6-12" of fresh snow with Ice underneath and the ko2's make short work if it. 4 wheel drive even with tires turned full lock, very little if any break of traction. Step on the gas and they eat and grab with very little slipping with good steering control, on the road I started to drift alittle let off the gas and corrected very quickly. With the original ko tires I had I definitely had more loss of traction issues in snow in fact I almost got stuck in similar situations to today. So in conclusion the ko2's are great on the street with good hydro planing resistance, and a smooth quite ride, they are like slicks on a drag strip on the rocks and grip very well almost sticky in fact, mud is not an issue either no problems in the slop so far, gravel does not chip or damage tires in any way, the stone ejectors work great, although small rocks do get caught in the siping and tend to stick around and can make alittle noise but no drilling so not too much of an issue, there tough from what I can tell from what I've put them through so far. Sand performance is no different then the KO's which do great and never had issues or been stuck on the beach, not once. The KO2's also are well deserving of the mountain snow peak badge as talked about earlier, the only test from here is if they last as long as my KO's did but so far they still look like they did the day I bought them so I'm not really worried about the longevity. So far they have been the best tires I've ever had for an all purpose, excelling in all road surfaces or lack there of. I highly recommend them as the ko2's are a great all around tire that's hard to beat.

I have run many sets of BFG's AT's KO's and I won't buy the new ones unless the price comes down. I got my eyes on the Goodyear Duratrac for $50 less per tire!

Ford and Firestone put a lighter weight bearing tire on these and then ran them at lower tire pressures. That's what led to failures.

I do like the the duratrac looks pretty much like a mud terrain and always liked the idea of a tweener tire. Not sure if it's produced in my size which is a down fall of running 32's in that your limited on selection. the BFG isn't cheap for sure but there are still a lot of similar tires that are even more expensive and mud terrains generally always carry a higher price tag unless it's a generic tire. I've ran mud terrains before and they do work great in the mud but for most everything else I prefer a good all terrain, plus they last longer on the road.

Back