Installing an after-market Kenwood Head Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing an after-market Kenwood Head Unit

chiko

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 SportTrac 4x4
I recently acquired (well perhaps Monday) 2004 Explorer sport trac to replace my 2002 sport trac that was lost to hurricane Harvey.

I will be replacing the Pioneer 6 disc changer with a kenwood replacement because I need AUX in for my ZUMO GPS. I already ordered the replacement from Crutchfield and reviewed the available pioneer wiring diagram available here https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/VirtualWrench/2009-05-06_184951_pioneer.pdf

What is going on here?
The notifications from crutchfield indicate that the wiring adapter does not include the front left/right speakers and that I should run new speaker wires.
Are there two speakers in the front, one driven by the head unit amp and one driven by the amp behind the back seats? The wiring diagram linked above shows the same colored wired running to the front speakers.

I am not totally in-experienced in this but that wiring diagram makes very little sense. Are there separate speakers in the door panels.

Assuming I figure all the basic wiring figured out, are there recommendations for where I program the new Kenwood head unit for cut-off frequencies to the subwoofer? I have not taken delivery of the 2004 yet but I saw the Pioneer 6 disc changer, a satellite ( I assume sirius unit) and the amp behind the left side back passenger seat during the acquisition inspection.

Thoughts on running the wires for the speakers? Through the door or run them through the passenger compartment and pick them up near the amp in the rear?

I'd call the Crutchfield support line. I installed a kenwood in '10 ST and had a couple of questions. They were very helpful and glad to help. Great tech support.

More questions about the wiring diagram -
The subwoofer amp indicates it gets constant rather than switched power. That seems like a strange choice.

Two wires from the CD changer to the amp show no documented purpose. They are terminals 1 and 2 RED/BLACK and BROWN/ORANGE on the head unit and terminals 1 and 8 on the amp. The PDF shows they are a twisted pair but no indication of function.

More questions about the wiring diagram -
The subwoofer amp indicates it gets constant rather than switched power. That seems like a strange choice.

Two wires from the CD changer to the amp show no documented purpose. They are terminals 1 and 2 RED/BLACK and BROWN/ORANGE on the head unit and terminals 1 and 8 on the amp. The PDF shows they are a twisted pair but no indication of function.

Those are probably the amp power relay wires. The reason your Subwoofer amp is wired directly to power is that he radio will turn it off and on when it goes active. That's how mine is currently setup. The main wire to power has to be a large, fused, cable to provide enough power to the amp, depending on wattage. The control relay on the amp (those two unlabeled connections) wire directly to the radio and controls the turning on and off of the Amp. Also recommend if you have a large Amp is to use a capacitor inline with the positive to smooth out the power spikes caused when the sub goes down deep. If you don't and you have a big enough amp it could cause lights to dim and also cause damage to your alternator. The Cap provides a boost when the power usage spikes momentarily during heavy bass. Be sure read the instructions that come with some of the better ones as they require a special process to charge them properly or they could explode when plugged in.

Back