• Register Today It's free!

DTC B1218:00-0A

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Forscan is reading this code in my BCM, but I can't find the code anywhere. B1218 is a PATS key code, but the only ones I've found are:

B1218:44 Transmitter Identification Code: Data Memory Failure
B1218:51 Transmitter Identification Code: Not Programmed
B1218:81 Transmitter Identification Code: Invalid Serial Data Receive

I've gotten it several times, and this time it won't clear. All keys function correctly. Well, the 4 IKTs function correctly, and then I have one additional key programmed that's just the older style with the chip, so it will start the engine, which gives me a "Couldn't program key" notification on the left side of the cluster, despite working. I was getting this error before I programmed it.

When this happens, there's also a U0422, but that's just invalid data received from the BCM.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am getting this too, cant find much about it. Did you ever have any luck?

I am having the same problem along with code B10D7 PATS Key. Has anyone resolved these code from re appearing?

Does this affect Smog Checks to pass?

I am having the same problem along with code B10D7 PATS Key. Has anyone resolved these code from re appearing?

Does this affect Smog Checks to pass?

My best guess is that it's a key issue. I have a non-remote key that I use only when I have the dogs in the car, in case I need to leave it running for A/C. I didn't want to blow another $100 on an IKT, so I just got a $25 chip key. I am pretty sure that's what's setting the code; an invalid/incompletely programmed key. I do get a warning that it was unable to complete the programming for that key, but it still works fine.

I would guess that you have a key that's malfunctioning.

It shouldn't affect smog checks, unless it's actually setting the check engine light. Even then, that wouldn't have anything to do with smog, but it depends on how the system that's doing the checking works. In Atlanta, a pending code, regardless of what it was for, would pass, but if the CEL was on, then it would fail.

Invalid, defective, non-oem ikt

I just programmed two keys I got on amazon. I used FORScan to program them both and they work great. My dad got a 13 xlt and it didn’t have remote start. Enabled it and got the keys. Pretty straight forward. Had to program them as ignition keys. No issues. No errors either.

Back