'96Eddie w/4R70W.P0750, P0500, P1131 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96Eddie w/4R70W.P0750, P0500, P1131

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Alright guys, I've done some searching but I'll explain a little bit first. The truck is a 1996 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD, with a 4R70W transmission. I just went over 200K in the truck, finally! I was borrowing it to a friend because all of his cars are down for repair. but I think he really broke mine. Got it back with the ODO, and MPH not working, a check engine light, and the door locks not working.

- The door locks I fixed, it was the splice, not his fault.
- The P1131 I think is a dirty MAF, I run a K&N, so that's probably the case, also not his fault.

But the Check engine light has got me worried. I think his heavy foot cooked the transmission. It was already not happy, had a pretty good 2-3 shift flare, but I took it easy, and never had an issue. I have a feeling that the P0500 is linked to my speedo not working, but possibly the gear in the cluster is broken. But the P0750 has me worried that the trans might need a rebuild now. At 65mph the rpms are at 3,000rpms, and the O/D switch does nothing, so I don't think the transmission is not even getting into OD anymore. looking for some input, from what I have already read I have a unique issue here because in most other cases the reverse didn't work, or the OD light flashed. Reverse works great, and the OD light never illuminates.

what do you guys think?

P0500 - Vehilce Speed Sensor A
P0750 - Shift Solenoid A
P1131 - Lack of HO2S11 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean

I'm hoping to not drive the truck for very long like this, my Subaru has a broken clutch fork that I need to replace, then I can park the truck and get parts if need be.

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it as always.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) On your trans, the 1-2 and 2-3 Accumulators and springs were updated and have to be replaced. I would do that ASAP. 1-2 can be done with a pan drop, 2-3 the valve body has to come down, and you can inspect the solenoids too.
2) The solenoid problem could be a bad solenoid, wiring harness or contaminated fluid making it stick. I would ohm out the solenoid to test. If you clear the light and it comes on right away you know if it is a hard electrical solenoid problem.
3) Overdrive issue could be caused by a servo problem or a broken snap ring. Probably your best bet is to drop the valve body. Plenty of tutorials on that going back 20 years. You can also do a J-Mod!

Thank you for the input, I'm going to be honest I meant to update those a long time ago, but my truck sort of went to the wayside in recent years because of my job, and my constant side work on Subarus. Looks like my baby may need to go into Surgery pretty soon. I'll be odering parts in the next week and try and update ASAP.

always looking for more input, this site is so great!

Pull the valve body plug off the passenger side of the transmission. If it's full of fluid it's most likely your problem. Only way to fix is replace the internal harness.

Pull the valve body plug off the passenger side of the transmission. If it's full of fluid it's most likely your problem. Only way to fix is replace the internal harness.
Will do, thanks. I think I'm going to drop the pan and do some electrical testing as well.

Alright guys, I did some research on parts, I would like to verify the part numbers.

1-2 Accumulator and springs:

F7AZ-7F251-AA - PISTON/SEAL ASSEMBLY
F4UZ-7F284-A - ACCUMULATOR SPRING BOTTOM
F7AZ-7F284-AA - ACCUMULATOR SPRING TOP

2-3 Piston for up shift concern:

F7AZ-7H292-AB - PISTON(****does not state a new seal, does it come with one???)

I've been trying to find solenoids, they appear to come in kits with all of them, I am uncertain if there is a specific one called out for the specific code or not. I hate to waste money and order them all. I cleared the code, and the light came back on within 30 miles, I also still have no overdrive with the check engine light off. I would prefer to pull the valve body at work on a lift, rather then at my house on the ground, i also only have a gravel floor in my pole barn so contamination is very possible. So I would like to get some more info on the solenoids before I order parts and tear into the transmission.

Thanks for all the help so far!

If the internal frictions and steels are okay at the mileage, the VB work can fix most things. Also, what you might do with the VB etc, that is more than a rebuild shop would do, and any common parts you get would be part of a rebuild cost. SO I'd do the work you can, but also plan ahead and see about a shop that can do a rebuild if it has to have it.

For the 1996 4R trans, change all of the solenoids, the DTRS(range) sensor, the accumulators and any updated springs there. Find out what Sonnax has for the 4R, get their o-ring VB kit(helps with internal leaks), I'm about to try their higher end pressure regulator kit(don't recall the item model ($65 from Summit)). Look for excess wear in the EPC case cavity, where it goes in the case. A VB kit(not the TransGo HD kit) or the J-Mod would be nice too, the J-Mod requires extra research time though, so many applications and opinions.

Alright everybody, quick update! I upgraded the 1-2, and 2-3 accumulators and replaced the Solenoids, this has fixed my shifting issues from 1-2, and 2-3, but I am still without O/D. I did not notice the snap ring being out of place when I had the valve body down, and I didn’t want to remove it, and possibly dislodge the band. So I guess I’ll just have to get back in there and do some more work, I know they sell a solenoid pin that has an o-ring in it for over drive, I’m wondering if this may fix my issue? I did not disassemble the valve body to look for debris, although now that I think about it I really should have, I had some time restraints, so I was a bit rushed. I also replaced the speed sensor on the diff, it was $5, but still no speedo…

Basically,
1-2, and 2-3 shifts fixed!
Still without OD
No speedo, or odo

Sort of annoyed at myself on this one, I should have done more research and prepared better. Well at least this time I can get some research done and possibly pull off this J-Mod.

Any more input is greatly appreciated

Good job on replacing the solenoids and accumulators. The OD band is "grabbed" by the OD piston, which is behind the snap ring you might have noticed dislodged. If the piston isn't in fully from that, there might be the issue. If that's it, just putting it back in position might fix the OD. The OD piston is another wear item kind of like the accumulators, and available in three lengths I think. There's a spec that it's supposed to engage the OD band a certain amount, almost nobody messes with that or changes the OD piston length. It's really about the initial build specs, but if the band was worn some, it could be good to restore that piston engagement spec. I don't know what that would be called or where to hunt it, just more to consider.

Finally update! Everything has been fixed! Turns out don’t live in the middle of nowhere and let the vehicle sit for months on end. Some sort of animal found its way on the top of the trans and ate through all of the wires for two of the 02 Sensors, in multiple spots. It also ate through the wires going to the VSS in two spots, and a wire going into the large connector on the transmission. It took a good few hours and I only took care of the VSS wires and the one transmission wire, but I now have my speedo, odometer, and overdrive back!!!! I have a feeling that the “lack of pulses” O2 sensor code will be fixed when I re-connect all of the O2 sensors, which I may need a full Harness for or some connectors, we’ll see what I can find on my parts transmission.

To sum it up, I greatly appreciate everybody’s help with this! I’m glad I finally fixed the 1-2 and 2-3 shift issues, if it wasn’t for the damn animal I would have never gone into the transmission to try and fix it. Luckily I have found all the issues, and it’s shifting better then ever! I’m glad I can finally enjoy my Explorer again!

Now I just need to fix the o2 sensor issues, and some other small things on the truck, and it’ll be ready for many road trips to come!

Back