• Register Today It's free!

Dirt particles

ImpactF0nt

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Whenever I come into my 1998 explorer in the morning, there is particles of dirt and stuff on the top of the dash and just generally in the car, also leaves and crud always spray out of the vents. Anything I can do to stop all of this? Also the dirt appears even if the top is clean when I leave it, and I come back and its dirty again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your blower motor compartment is full of leaves. Remove the coolant overflow/windshield fluid tank, then remove the blower motor, and clean out the compartment.

Yup, What he said.
Loquetus

^ Ditto

While I too would guess leaves in the blower duct, something doesn't add up. How can it accumulate while the vehicle is off and clean when you last left it? Is it possible someone has access to it and is playing a joke on you by stuffing the vents with crushed leaves?

While I too would guess leaves in the blower duct, something doesn't add up. How can it accumulate while the vehicle is off and clean when you last left it? Is it possible someone has access to it and is playing a joke on you by stuffing the vents with crushed leaves?

Personally, I prefer to stuff a dead fish in the cowl vent.

Could be it has been there for a little while and has now decided to spew it's contents. Could be a mouse problem, for there nest. There is no filter on the cab side of the breather, (at least on mine), so you could easily suck in dirt particles there and blow them through out the cab. Leaf build up takes a little time and it just may be time to clean it. Of course there is the outside holes for the air to contend with, (around the fan). It does not take long to take that stuff off under the hood, if you milk it maybe an hour, if you just get er done then maybe 20 minutes.
Loquetus

No, no problems with pranksters. But it might be that the blowers are full of leaves, i'll try cleaning it, and follow up with the result. Thanks!

You might also take your blower motor resistor or transistor module (same part location, which it is depends on whether manual or auto climate control) off the firewall to make sure there's no built up leaves/debris on it because they are prone to heat failure and need the airflow in that duct to keep them cool enough.

If you really want to open up your work area, pull the wheel and fender liner. Good access.

Personally, I prefer to stuff a dead fish in the cowl vent.

Shrimp fit easier...

Not that I've done it, someone told me...

Back