Rearview Camera Problems | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To be clear, it wasn't the entire harness they replaced although that's what they had said initially they were going to do. They cut the wires to the female connector that went to the camera and replaced that... So calling it a connector would be a more apt description.

Before you started redoing it, I would have done a wiggle test on the wires by setting up the way peter said. Car in accessory mode, in reverse, parking brake on/wheels chocked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply Peter. I was able to get my hands on a wireless OBD scanner. I downloaded FORScan and performed the rear camera calibration. I get about 8% through the calibration when the test aborts and says to scan for DTC's. The only one that shows up is a B115E:08-48 error, but is says it's not an active fault. I'm able to reset it and the only time it comes back is when I try to run the calibration routine. Anyone have any experience with this error? The new camera works..when i put the vehicle in reverse, I see an image, although it is upside down and reversed, but an image nonetheless. I tried putting the old camera back in but I immediately get a DTC saying electrical error. It goes away with the new camera.
Good evening to all, I'm new in this forum, so please excuse me if this has been already answered... I'm having this same issue, I changed my camera (twice), first one didn't work at all, and the second (suggested by the dealer) is working but with an upside down image. When trying to calibrate it, I have the same behavior, stopping at 8% and giving an B115E:08-48 code. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Good evening to all, I'm new in this forum, so please excuse me if this has been already answered... I'm having this same issue, I changed my camera (twice), first one didn't work at all, and the second (suggested by the dealer) is working but with an upside down image. When trying to calibrate it, I have the same behavior, stopping at 8% and giving an B115E:08-48 code. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
B115E:08 Camera Module: Bus Signal/Message Failure An on-demand DTC that sets in the BCM when there is a LIN communication fault from the video camera.

LIN bus is a single wire communication standard. Do you have the sync system with larger screen?

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
B115E:08 Camera Module: Bus Signal/Message Failure An on-demand DTC that sets in the BCM when there is a LIN communication fault from the video camera.

LIN bus is a single wire communication standard. Do you have the sync system with larger screen?
Thanks for answering so fast! Yes, I have the sync larger screen... initially the original camera was not displaying any image (black screen), and the display indicated that I had to contact the dealer. The second camera (EB5Z-19G490-A) gave also the same black screen and message, when I replace it again with a recommended BB5Z-19G490-A I was able to get an image in my display, but upside down, and when trying to calibrate it stopped after 8 seconds and it gave me the B115E:08 code. So not sure if is the same "configuration/calibration" issue, but I have now two issues: 1) upside down image, and 2) no "guide lines"...

Thanks for answering so fast! Yes, I have the sync larger screen... initially the original camera was not displaying any image (black screen), and the display indicated that I had to contact the dealer. The second camera (EB5Z-19G490-A) gave also the same black screen and message, when I replace it again with a recommended BB5Z-19G490-A I was able to get an image in my display, but upside down, and when trying to calibrate it stopped after 8 seconds and it gave me the B115E:08 code. So not sure if is the same "configuration/calibration" issue, but I have now two issues: 1) upside down image, and 2) no "guide lines"...

Need to track down the LIN bus wire seen here and see if there is an issue with it:

rvc.JPG

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No guidelines is usually an indication that the camera has not been programmed to your vehicle. There are other that had the upside down image as well. One was able to have it corrected when he got a camera with a more recent DOM (Date of Manufacture). http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...w-camera-problems.318879/page-16#post-3635494
If you go to the 'Search' feature at the top right of the screen and type in upside down, then check Search this thread only, you'll find 11 other posts that have that wording in it. Some seemed to run into the same issue with the calibration attempt.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No guidelines is usually an indication that the camera has not been programmed to your vehicle. There are other that had the upside down image as well. One was able to have it corrected when he got a camera with a more recent DOM (Date of Manufacture). http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...w-camera-problems.318879/page-16#post-3635494
If you go to the 'Search' feature at the top right of the screen and type in upside down, then check Search this thread only, you'll find 11 other posts that have that wording in it. Some seemed to run into the same issue with the calibration attempt.

Peter
thank you very much Pete!!! I will check immediately.

It seems that my backup camera fails more and more often just a few seconds after working when I put the car in reverse. The image just seems to deteriorate, grow dim with static, and then go black. Only then does the display say there is no camera available. Does anyone know where I can find an actual wiring diagram for the wiring harness and connector. I am capable of troubleshooting at least that part of the camera and hookup if I knew the wiring. Thanks to anyone who might have info.

It seems that my backup camera fails more and more often just a few seconds after working when I put the car in reverse. The image just seems to deteriorate, grow dim with static, and then go black. Only then does the display say there is no camera available. Does anyone know where I can find an actual wiring diagram for the wiring harness and connector. I am capable of troubleshooting at least that part of the camera and hookup if I knew the wiring. Thanks to anyone who might have info.
I would be surprised if there was a problem with the wiring harness. I would suspect that you will have to replace the camera itself as many others have done.

Peter

I'm not looking for a diagram to only mechanically troubleshoot the harness/connector. I need to know what pins are +12vdc, and ground, and video output, and any other possible "input/outputs" signals the camera and the car might share. Knowing what the signals/voltages at the camera are supposed to be at the camera alone, I can with a meter/oscilloscope check operation of the camera while verifying all continuities that should exist. For example, electrical ground (-) resistance, +12vdc connection resistance and video cabling resistances while the camera is continuously operating.. There seems to be little information available on line to owners that would like to try and repair their own cars.
Dan

I'm not looking for a diagram to only mechanically troubleshoot the harness/connector. I need to know what pins are +12vdc, and ground, and video output, and any other possible "input/outputs" signals the camera and the car might share. Knowing what the signals/voltages at the camera are supposed to be at the camera alone, I can with a meter/oscilloscope check operation of the camera while verifying all continuities that should exist. For example, electrical ground (-) resistance, +12vdc connection resistance and video cabling resistances while the camera is continuously operating.. There seems to be little information available on line to owners that would like to try and repair their own cars.
Dan
Dan, member sheltonfilms may be able to help you with that. Given all the issues members have had with their cameras, I don't recall a single one that was due to the wiring.

Peter

Peter,
Thank you again as you are exactly why I joined this site. Letting me know that with the many examples you have read here that none of them were wiring problems changes my approach. I thought one time I read somewhere the grounding of the camera was on the body of the car somewhere and caused a problem. Maybe that was a truck. I will buy another camera and hope that is it. Ford dealer wants over $600 to replace it, so I will try one of the less expensive ones available from many places online. Maybe they will let me return it if it happens to not be the problem.

This is a handy site to bookmark. They are also a Forum vendor.
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=camera
Any time a camera is replaced it has to be programmed to the vehicle otherwise you may not see some of the guidelines, especially if you have the moving ones. The dealer can do that or you may be able to do it yourself if you are familiar with Forscan. There is a thread on that product in this Forum.

Peter

Both my wife's 2013 Explorer Limited and my 2015 Mustang GT have intermittent backup camera issues. I just ordered both for close to $390 total. The explorer part was $303, and the mustang part was $80ish. Both cameras functionality seem to vary based on temperature and how you tie your shoes that morning. Ford has not impressed me with their electronics. Our 2012 Focus, the 2013 Explorer, the 2015 Mustang.... At least my 2010 F150 works well in all that it does. It's an XLT, though. The backup camera I installed on it and the one I put on my jeep wrangler work perfectly and cost about $10 each. Kind of sad, really.

Update: I replaced the camera on the 2013 explorer a few weeks ago, and it is 100% fixed. It had stopped working completely before the replacement. The 2015 mustang backup camera is working 100% of the time now that the weather has turned cold. I'll hold on to the new camera until the stock piece gets annoying again.

Update: I replaced the camera on the 2013 explorer a few weeks ago, and it is 100% fixed. It had stopped working completely before the replacement. The 2015 mustang backup camera is working 100% of the time now that the weather has turned cold. I'll hold on to the new camera until the stock piece gets annoying again.
Do you have the self parking feature and if so are the moving Active Park Assist lines working?

Peter

Hello, again... Can anyone point me in the direction of a corporate Ford representative I can speak to directly about my camera issues. In case you haven't looked through the whole thread, I have posted here before... My backup camera has been replaced on my 14 sport, and with it the"technicians" at the dealership thought it was necessary to chop the end off the harness connecting the camera to the main tailgate harness and splice(very sloppily) in a pigtail connector. 7 trips later (1.5hrs each way) I have my explorer back and after two weeks of it working, it has once again failed... They performed the work through the Ford preferred program which I would assume it's something of an extended warranty considering I only bought the truck a couple months before I brought it in for repairs. This last trip, might I remind you is 1.5 hours each way from my home, they had me in a rental and had the car for a week. I was hopeful... But after their failed strong at repairs (once again) what little faith I had in this particular dealership has slipped away. If anyone in the Ford world that matters can help me I would be greatly appreciative.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, again... Can anyone point me in the direction of a corporate Ford representative I can speak to directly about my camera issues. In case you haven't looked through the whole thread, I have posted here before... My backup camera has been replaced on my 14 sport, and with it the"technicians" at the dealership thought it was necessary to chop the end off the harness connecting the camera to the main tailgate harness and splice(very sloppily) in a pigtail connector. 7 trips later (1.5hrs each way) I have my explorer back and after two weeks of it working, it has once again failed... They performed the work through the Ford preferred program which I would assume it's something of an extended warranty considering I only bought the truck a couple months before I brought it in for repairs. This last trip, might I remind you is 1.5 hours each way from my home, they had me in a rental and had the car for a week. I was hopeful... But after their failed attempt at repairs (once again) what little faith I had in this particular dealership has slipped away. If anyone in the Ford world that matters can help me I would be greatly appreciative.

Can't help out with who to contact but do you have pics of the splice work? I would be curious to see it. Obviously they put a new pigtail on thinking there may be a fault in the plug.

Back