265/70R16 tyres on 2002 Ford no lifting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265/70R16 tyres on 2002 Ford no lifting?

Vilte

Reaction score
City, State
Vilnius, Lithuania, EU
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2002
Hello, everyone!

I'm about to buy winter tyres and am thinking about Bridgestone DM V1 or V2 and have two questions.
1. I now have 245/70R16 tyres. Will 265/70 fit ok if my Ford has no lifting? The tyre consultant persuades me I should buy only 245/70.
2. The shop here has Bridgestone DM V1 produced in 2013 and Bridgestone DM V2 made in 2017. Is it ok to buy 4-year old tyres or you, guys, would recommend to buy only newly produced? Which you would recommend - V1 or V2 - for harsh winters?

Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't buy 4 year old tires unless you are only expecting to use them for 3 to 4 years and you can get them at about half retail. All tires have a life expectancy of 8 years. This is for safety due to the aging of the rubber. Rubber ages (experiences a gradual chemical change) and the side walls weaken. The is the cause for the mystery front end vibrations Jeep 4-wheel drives are infamous for. After year 8 your chances for a sidewall blowout go up dramatically.

Don't buy 4 year old tires unless you are only expecting to use them for 3 to 4 years and you can get them at about half retail. All tires have a life expectancy of 8 years. This is for safety due to the aging of the rubber. Rubber ages (experiences a gradual chemical change) and the side walls weaken. The is the cause for the mystery front end vibrations Jeep 4-wheel drives are infamous for. After year 8 your chances for a sidewall blowout go up dramatically.
Thank you, Gilligan, I'll definitely buy the 2017 Bridgestone DM-V2.

I would go with a 245/75. Same diameter of the 265/70, just not as wide.

Some people are really worried about old tires. Me not so much. Having many vehicles and multiply tires (winter/summer) for each, some of my tires are getting really up there in age. Never gave me issue. I have had 2 tires blow on me in the past. Both were within 2 years old. In general the rubber is not gives the tire strength, the radials do. Old rubber gets hard and loses its traction. Ask Paul Walker.

Back